Old 26 August 2006, 12:29   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
To fix or to clean?

As some may remember I had some tube problems a few months back with seams splitting around the rear of the cones. Humber kindly supplied some repair fabric but due to it being winter, and not having anywhere to do the work inside, it has been too cold to do the work. On top of that the glue ordered back in June has only just turned up this week anyway ... rather a long lead time to get such things to this part of the world!

I now also have some tube restorer and tube conditioner to bring the tubes back to a reasonable appearance - I don't think they have ever really been touched since the boat was new, and they are very faded and messy - I didn't realise just how "orange" they should have been till I was sanding a bit off to put a patch on.

It is still too cold to do the repairs, but I could do the tube cleaning now, however would it be better to leave that till after the repairs are completed? I am wondering if the tube cleaner and restorer would/could cause bonding problems for the Hypalon glue - apart from the actual repair around the seam, I also have triangular wear patches to go on the rear lower portion of the tubes, and obviously with them being right at the waterline when cruising, they need to be well stuck on.... I have the Polymarine two part adhesive, and the proper hypalon cleaning solvent from the same supplier, but I don't know whether this would take off the tube conditioner stuff?

Opinions please - I think the answer is most likely to be "leave the cleaning until after the repairs are done" but would just like some input from others. The hard work will be in the cleaning rather than putting on the tube conditioner, so perhaps I could do half the job now and leave applying the tube conditioner till after the repairs are complete?

The reason I want to do the cleaning now if possible is that by the time it is warm enough to do the repairs, its also going to be warm enough to be out ribbing and I'd rather not have to waste time on cleaning it then

Has anybody repaired freshly-restored tubes (e.g. if you had a puncture) and did you have any problems getting the patch to stick?

Thanks

Stephen
Old 26 August 2006, 15:00   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
If it were me I'd clean before repairing. If your going to patch a whole the fabric wants to be really clean and not covered with years of greesey oily salty nastyness.

What sort of cleaner have you bought?
Old 26 August 2006, 15:50   #3

Good point... maybe clean it but leave off the tube conditioner then.

I got mine from Ribshop, the Rib Revive tube restorer, and 3M Tube Conditioner. Got enough to do the boat about 4x over so it should come up well

One thing I forgot to order (not even sure it was on the website at the time) was the matching scourer thing but I guess one of the "synthetic" (i.e. not metal) kitchen scourers would be just as good.
Old 26 August 2006, 16:07   #4

The scourers they do as the same ones you can buy in Tescos for about 20p each. They are ideal. You'll need a 5-pack though as they don't last very long.

Thats good stuff for cleaning tubes. Next time you do it you might want to just order a big thing of TFR - its a very similar (sodium hydroxide) based cleaner, and costs about a quater what rib-shine does. Wearing gloves when your cleaning is a great idea as sodium hydroxide destroys human tissue. I got really bad chemical burns on my fingers from cleaning a rib without gloves recently.
Old 26 August 2006, 19:36   #5

Town: River Hamble
Length: 6m +
http://www.rib-shop.com/prodtype.asp...ageHistory=cat
Old 26 August 2006, 19:41   #6

Ribshop.....
Is there any special features about your RIB cleaning pad? Also what is the main (chemical) ingredient in your maijc stuff?
Old 26 August 2006, 19:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribshop
That's the stuff. Bet I am your furthest away customer
Old 26 August 2006, 19:48   #8

Nothing special with the cleaning pad, but you wont need five of them unlike the Tesco ones. And due to the product being designed for a specific use it probably wont leave you with burns!!
If you look at all the posts that mention our product, its content speaks for itself. If you would like to sample the product for yourself, phone Steph during the week and ask nicely - I am sure she will be able to send you some.

I think you are Stephen, let us know how you get on.
Old 26 August 2006, 19:51   #9

Im not questioning your product I am just curious whats in it. I may well take up the offer of a free sample
Old 26 August 2006, 20:00   #10

Only two people know the chemical make up of Rib Revive, and unfortunately for you, thats the way its going to stay
We are constantly finding ways to improve our products, which is now why our clients will now find Rib Revive better than ever, due to there being a slight change in formula from July of this year.