Boat name: Miles Away
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
Tired hull

My very old hull is very sad and tired.

I wonder whats best to do with it?

Just keep slapping antifoul on it?
Try to clean and polish it as it is - maybe there is some gelcoat under there to uncover?
Get sanding and gelcoat the whole thing?

I've put in a pic. note that the mnark in bottom half that looks like a hole isn't - its just a mark that looks like a hole.

Any comments on best way forward much appreciated.

Old 09 April 2024, 14:41   #2

Town: High Wycombe
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HYEFKwZMFhbJFkAc7

Try this link for photos
Old 09 April 2024, 21:00   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
You were right with your description, that is indeed a very tired hull.

I suppose this comes down to your desire for a fresh gel-coated hull. Anything is possible, you’ve just to look at the work on Harry Dwyer’s SR4 by Cockwells Boatyards in episode 15.

If it were me, then there’s a few things I’d look at before making that call. It’s laborious work going by previous discussions on the subject.

1/ Do you have covered area or workshop with sufficient space, power outlets, decent lighting and ventilation?

2/ Do you have the ability to flip the boat, this can’t be done on a trailer. If there’s a console fitted, you could look at getting something like a car rotisserie jig, so you can rotate it, or know someone with a forklift and can put it onto a support frame.

3/ Do you have the necessary skills yourself? This is going to be a couple weeks of sanding with power tools, repairs, more sanding, and that’s before you even get to applying the gel coat and polishing. Like most things, the preparation is everything.

4/ Do you have the time? Your rib will be out of action, as once you start it’s a one one-trip.

I suppose before you attempt anything, have you tried a small section to remove anti-foul? You need to determine what the base condition looks like. That in itself is difficult with the rib on a trailer with inadequate space to work.
Old 10 April 2024, 10:12   #4

Hi @spartacus,

I think I will just give it a good rub down and put hard antifoul on it..... I tried the soft and it gets washed off. The hull has a hard life on a trot and tidal mud for 5 months at a time so I would quickly undo any work to make it look spangly again....

I do get fouling on the rear tubes underneath and also on the bits and bobs on that are under the water like the bottom of the engine bracket etc... is there a product for that?

Anyway cheers.
Old 10 April 2024, 10:20   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Melville View Post
Hi @spartacus,

I think I will just give it a good rub down and put hard antifoul on it..... I tried the soft and it gets washed off. The hull has a hard life on a trot and tidal mud for 5 months at a time so I would quickly undo any work to make it look spangly again....

I do get fouling on the rear tubes underneath and also on the bits and bobs on that are under the water like the bottom of the engine bracket etc... is there a product for that?

Anyway cheers.
As long as the hull is sound & not starting to fail structurally, then it's just cosmetic. Call it "Patina". Unless you're going to fettle it & keep up with it, it'll be as bad again after a couple of seasons. She'll be right.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 10:09   #6

I have given it a good wash and rub down with some white spirit. Loads of muck off.

Now I have put 2 coats of Hempel Ultra hard antifoul on and it's done wonders for it. Well pleased.

What I really need is some kind of antifoul paint or coating of the underside of the tubes at the rear - does anyone know of such a thing?