Old 31 August 2022, 16:12   #1

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Throttle Position

My actual preferred throttle is a foot throttle and I have this on the "big" boat. Both hands on the steering wheel then, with gear shift and additional hand throttle on the RHS, out of any position where it can be knocked or accidentally grabbed.

However, for more conventional rib type stuff with a RH steering wheel, I think I prefer a RH throttle. The rib last weekend had a left hand throttle so it was in the centre of the console and I didn't like it so much.

Are there any pros and cons either way? And what do you guys prefer.
Old 31 August 2022, 16:19   #2

Town: Kingussie
Boat name: Puffin
Make: NorthCraft / XS
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60
MMSI: 232019541
Interesting question - my boat came to me rigged with left hand throttle - so right hand always on wheel - like a car in uk so feels natural to me.

In the end if it feels right to you….
Old 31 August 2022, 16:24   #3

I think what made the difference to me was that with with someone alongside me on the console, the central throttle made my left arm feel "restricted" by this other body there - even though they weren't in the way of me moving it, per se. I suspect it's just habit, all my boats for the last 20 years have been RH throttle, I don't actually remember using a LH throttle before, although I am sure I must have.
Old 31 August 2022, 18:05   #4

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
My random thoughts on it.

I was always interested why the RNLI and military RIBs tended to have RH throttle.

The late Dag Pike, in his RIB book, suggested that as you needed more finesse on the throttle to have it in your dominant hand which, for most people, is their right.

For the UK, it would be 'natural' to have the boat as right hand drive with the throttle in the LH as that mimics a car. If you have side by side seating with right hand drive, it makes sense to have a LH throttle so it is accessible to both people. I find the central throttle very useful particularly when letting my youngest drive.

I suspect US vessels are set up to be left hand drive with the throttle on the right.
Old 31 August 2022, 18:15   #5

My most comfortable position is certainly RHD with RH throttle.

Good point about if letting others/kids drive - this is also often the racing setup with split driver and throttleman roles. (Unless they have a foot throttle).
Downside of a central throttle is my lad keeps reaching for it to push it forwards for "MAX SPEED". Have explained to him this is NOT OK.

My US built 1989 Formula 292 SR1 was also RHD with RH throttles. Don't think I've ever driven a LHD boat.
Old 31 August 2022, 18:45   #6

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Personal preference will have a lot to do with it .
My own boat (remotes) has RH steering wheel (on the right of the console) & LH throttle.

Hire boats with tiller obm I prefer to use RH for throttle & steering.

Fishing rod wise for most spinning/plugging/float fishing I cast & play RH & my fixed spools reels are all LHW.
Multipliers I hold the rod in the left hand & operate reel RH.
Fly rods I cast RH & if loose lining I play wih rod in RH & control the line LH but reels are RHW & if I play off the reel I hold the rod in my LH.

Perhaps I'm just odd
Old 31 August 2022, 19:42   #7
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
RH throttle is my preference. It just makes sense to use the primary control with your dominant hand.
Old 31 August 2022, 20:14   #8

Town: Cambridge
Make: AVON
Engine: Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke
I have used both a lot, but generally I find I prefer having a LH throttle on smaller RIBS, as I tend to be doing a lot of steering work. (weaving around kids in dinghies for example)

On larger RIBs I prefer a RH throttle, as I like having greater throttle control, and am unlikely to be throwing the steering round multiple times in quick succession.

One thing to note is I prefer having a RH throttle on Jet-driven boats, as I feel it is much easier to having my dominant hand to operate the two seperate levers during maneuvering.

Almost every boat I have used is single helm console, so I can't comment on the side by side console/middle throttle debate.

One thing I wonder is why the RNLI (and a lot of other dedicated SAR boats) choose to have the throttle(s) located down the side of the jockey seat alongside the helm. Is this so the cox'n remains seated and ensures their security? (Particularly important considering most dedicated SAR boats don't have helm killcords)
Old 31 August 2022, 20:35   #9

Length: 3m +
Some dinghy race coaches etc would prefer a L throttle so they can keep R hand for a video camera.

Also some people will prefer to come alongside a dinghy on starboard tack (boom over port) and so would prefer to have controls on starboard.

Can't win!!
Old 31 August 2022, 21:30   #10

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
I think alot of rib throttles are on the left because when you mount a steering wheel on the right and the throttle left of it the wheel will overhang the side of the console so giving the effect the console becomes wider and keeps the righthand jockey pod relevant ,if the throttle is on the right the steering wheel will end up towards the centre of the boat ,so meaning a left hand helm is better for a right hand throttle imo
Old 01 September 2022, 08:59   #11

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Black Bear
Make: Ribeye A683
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 232039276
Our current RIB is RHD with central throttle and I wasn't sure how I'd get on using my left hand on throttle, as everything I've ever driven, ridden or flown has been right hand/foot throttle, but to be honest I can't say I've really noticed the difference. I do always brake with my left foot in automatic cars though.
Old 01 September 2022, 09:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxZulu View Post
I do always brake with my left foot in automatic cars though.
You loon! Are you a one legged pirate? Parrot on your shoulder?
Old 01 September 2022, 10:52   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxZulu View Post
or flown has been right hand/foot throttle, but to be honest I can't say I've really noticed the difference. I do always brake with my left foot in automatic cars though.
Are you a retired BA pilot by any chance?
Old 01 September 2022, 12:06   #14

Captain position is the LH seat with throttles in the middle, so that makes sense.
Old 01 September 2022, 13:51   #15

Town: Southsea
Boat name: Voodoo
Make: Ribtec
Engine: Mercruiser 350 Mag
RIBase
Throttle on the left of wheel...I admit it feels a bit intrusive of the left seat passenger space but my wife usually sits on front seat anyway so thats not too big an issue...when it is very handy is when teaching the grandkids to drive the boat, with the throttle under my hand as well as theirs. (teenage grand daughter can be a bit throttle happy when moving into gear)

Big boat has twin morse on the right on the flybridge so kind of used to both really.

https://www.rib.net/forum/images/sk/attach/png.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rib3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	141412  
Old 01 September 2022, 14:09   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandAlex View Post
...most dedicated SAR boats don't have helm killcords...
Is this a thing?
Old 01 September 2022, 14:27   #17

RIBase
Posted by Ribochet in a different thread...

The RNLI doesn't use kill cords on their inshore lifeboats because, when the boats are operating in surf, there is a greater risk that movement from the crew could inadvertently cut the engine/s and put the crew in danger.

However, the throttle of the D class inshore lifeboat is sprung so that should the crew go overboard, the throttle will return to idle.

In the B class Atlantic inshore lifeboats there have been no incidents where all crew members have gone overboard and, in the event of a capsize with either class of boat, the engines will cut out. In addition all crew are thoroughly trained and their competence regularly assessed.

The RNLI has held an initial review of their existing policy on the use of kill cords in their B class Atlantic inshore lifeboats. The review’s conclusion was that conventional kill cords may at times put helms and crew at an unacceptable level of risk (due to inadvertent activation) when operating in more challenging sea conditions.

The RNLI is keen, however, to monitor the development of other technologies with interest.
Old 01 September 2022, 14:27   #18

RIBase
Didn't know that
Old 01 September 2022, 16:51   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Captain position is the LH seat with throttles in the middle, so that makes sense.

Unless it is a helicopter.

Some other options are you pass port to port so sitting on the left gives you a better view.

Historically boat come alongside port side to (aircraft still do) and the LH seat gives a better view.

I’m not pushing one side or the other but it’s an interesting question with no simple answer.
Old 01 September 2022, 17:41   #20

Yes, I'm referring to fixed wing of course (that's all I know) and the years (back when you could) of me riding in the jump seat of tristars, 757s and 767s with my father flying.

And then of course, in later years, he would wear his red trousers & deck shoes and tack his way up the big boat channel in portsmouth harbour.

Or one time I was out on my sharpe 19 (a speedboat) and saw the parents out sailing, so tried to come up alongside to say "hi" - he waves his fist at me. He didn't recognise me or the boat and thought I was some loon on drugs (because you never know!) until my mother pointed out to him that it was me and it was the boat he saw every day on his front drive!

Ex RAF, retired BA pilots. A different bread from the rest of us.