Old 07 February 2005, 23:07   #1

Town: Sydney
Make: Gemini
Length: 5.05
Engine: 85hp Yamaha
Thoroughly wash your car...

Hello all,

Just a friendly reminder to wash the underside of your car after launching/recovering your boat...

I have been away in Canada for a few weeks and got back yesterday. I had leant my 4wd to a friend whilst away and he washed it before giving it back to me.

He did a very thorough job but pointed out to me that there is a LOT of surface rust on the towbar and the underside of the car including axles etc... For a 3 year old car thats not good.

The cursory flick of the high pressure hose that I usually give the car has obviously not been enough to save it... If you do the same - u may wish to think about a more thorough washing each time. If thats what happens in this climate, in the UK the effects must be much worse...

Out with the RustEater and Hammerite next weekend...
Old 08 February 2005, 00:34   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
couldn't agree more - the worst culprits are people who drive LandRovers - they think because they made of aluminium they won't rust!!!

The best and laziest way to wash a 4x4 underneath is to chuck a garden sprinkler - the oscillating type - underneath and go and have a cup of tea.

Remember it is the amount of flow NOT pressure that counts - in fact pressure washers can drive grease out of bearings etc.
Old 08 February 2005, 11:41   #3

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Cracking idea Cod

I will try the sprinkler on the boat and trailer next time.
Old 08 February 2005, 13:32   #4

Town: Oban
Boat name: RIB Tickle
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Yamaha 60ETO,Tohatsu 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
couldn't agree more - the worst culprits are people who drive LandRovers - they think because they made of aluminium they won't rust!!!
Aluminium doesn't rust, it corrodes. (just being pedantic )
However the steel chassis holding the Landie together does rust and WILL fall apart eventually.
or if you get a lot of salt water around the chassis/body mounts the area around the mounts will corrode away leaving little holding the body to the chassis
Old 08 February 2005, 13:41   #5

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
wash the rangey everytime with powerwasher and all seems ok except the rear discs have corroded and lost a polished surface as bubbles are coming through and its brown!!!
Old 08 February 2005, 13:57   #6

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Vehicle Rusting.

Is this rusting happening because the affected parts are being put in the sea during launching or is it just the proximity of the vehicle to the sea.

The reason I ask is that I only let my tyres go in the sea. I use a rope when I can't launch the boat without the car getting wet. I don't let the wheels or bodywork get splashed. I can't see any signs of rust but my vehicle isn't 3 years old yet.

My friend who sometimes launches me has a ten year old Toyota Hilux Surf which he doesn't care about getting saltwater on. It regularly gets dunked up to the exhaust and is showing very little sign of rusting. It hasn't failed an MOT either and he's been doing this with that particular vehicle for 3 years now.
Old 08 February 2005, 18:15   #7

Town: Fareham
The slip I use is a concrete/shinge/mud one and if the wheels spin it deposites mud and slime under the wheel arches. My wheels never go in the briney but I always wash under the arches at the same time as giving the boat a hosing down.
Old 08 February 2005, 21:10   #8

Town: Ardnamurchan
Make: Domar Corsair
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 20HP
MMSI: What?
Ever heard of Tectyl or Galvanising? our car isn't rusty underneat, all the dirt stops it from getting rusty! (Motorway tar, oil, general junk)
Old 08 February 2005, 21:46   #9

Town: Fareham
Sounds like "My car dosen't rust! Filler dosen't rust!!"
Old 08 February 2005, 21:49   #10
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
The best one I heard was that company cars don't rust and are not susceptible to clutch or tyre wear on the slip way!
Old 09 February 2005, 01:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
Is this rusting happening because the affected parts are being put in the sea during launching or is it just the proximity of the vehicle to the sea.

The reason I ask is that I only let my tyres go in the sea. I use a rope when I can't launch the boat without the car getting wet. I don't let the wheels or bodywork get splashed. I can't see any signs of rust but my vehicle isn't 3 years old yet.

My friend who sometimes launches me has a ten year old Toyota Hilux Surf which he doesn't care about getting saltwater on. It regularly gets dunked up to the exhaust and is showing very little sign of rusting. It hasn't failed an MOT either and he's been doing this with that particular vehicle for 3 years now.
The difference is obvious.

Your friend has a Toyota and I have a Mitsubishi!!

But seriously, its sometimes unavoidable to avoid getting water under the back of the car. Our local slip is so shallow that to get the outboard touching the water, the back tyres more or less have to be in the water. all it takes is a small wave and that means the rear body is dunked...

launching to surf beaches from the sand is even worse.

I wish i had gone for the ten year underbody protection now...
Old 09 February 2005, 10:10   #12

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardH
The difference is obvious.

Your friend has a Toyota and I have a Mitsubishi!!

But seriously, its sometimes unavoidable to avoid getting water under the back of the car. Our local slip is so shallow that to get the outboard touching the water, the back tyres more or less have to be in the water. all it takes is a small wave and that means the rear body is dunked...

launching to surf beaches from the sand is even worse.

I wish i had gone for the ten year underbody protection now...
Easy solution - protect it yourself!!!

There are various ways but one of the easiest and best I have come across is a product called Acrypol - it is a roofing sealant that can even be usesd on a wet roof. You can buy it from Selco and other trade places - a large tin is about £35 and there is enough to do 2 Range Rovers.

Ideally you need to scrape off and wire brush any loose rust. slap the stuff on really thick - careful because it stinks and is really messy! When it has dried spray waxoyl underbody seal over the top.

Did my mates Rangie 3 years ago and it still looks like new underneath!
Old 13 February 2005, 21:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Easy solution - protect it yourself!!!

There are various ways but one of the easiest and best I have come across is a product called Acrypol - it is a roofing sealant that can even be usesd on a wet roof. You can buy it from Selco and other trade places - a large tin is about £35 and there is enough to do 2 Range Rovers.

Ideally you need to scrape off and wire brush any loose rust. slap the stuff on really thick - careful because it stinks and is really messy! When it has dried spray waxoyl underbody seal over the top.

Did my mates Rangie 3 years ago and it still looks like new underneath!
yup, thats my next step.. waxoyl is hard to come by down here, but i have got some rust converter, some anti rust paint/hammerite and some fish oil for inbetween...
Old 14 February 2005, 09:45   #14
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Why not save yourselves all the time an effort and use that reveloutionary bit of kit called a rope.

This amazing invention means I can recover a 6m ribtec with a 1.9 ltr diesel golf on practically any slipway!

No rust, no clutch issues and no tyre problems. (except that they only last 10k on the road anyway)

A true amazing invention.

Chris