Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 20 September 2017, 16:38   #1
Member
 
Country: Other
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 29
Thinking about a 1st RIB...

... and looking for some background info and advice.

I've spent a lifetime messing around in small boats, but having recently returned "home", I've been thinking about getting a RIB. I know I'll have a lot to learn compared to modest powered displacement boats, but first things first - I need to narrow down what to look for.

From a practicality / cost / storage perspective, I think 6m is probably a sensible size limit.

I've always liked "workmanlike" boats (and other kit), in preference to fancy looking toys - a few older Humbers and Tornados have caught my eye.

Not sure of the typical draught on these sorts of boats. Estuary moorings / launch / recovery suggest that shallower draught might be more usable...

Any advice or thoughts very much appreciated...!
__________________

__________________
rkk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 23:23   #2
Member
 
Bigo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: ipswich
Boat name: Red Line
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp tohatsu
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 76
First things first;

what's your budget?

Where will you store the boat ?

Where do you plan to launch (How steep is the slip way) ?

How many people do you plan to have on board ?
__________________

__________________
Bigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 23:33   #3
Member
 
Bigo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: ipswich
Boat name: Red Line
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp tohatsu
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 76
On the deep V side of things I would suggest having a deep V hull imo there's a world of difference between them and shallow V's the main one being you don't have to back off as soon as there's a little chop!

In terms of recovery it's more about the trailer set up as to how difficult it is to retrieve. My mate has a tornado 5.8 and we have never had a problem launching or retrieving that he even manages to launch and retrieve on his own.

Others will have more experience than me in ribs but from what I've seen the best bang for your buck ribs in your size range will be- Avon SR 5.4, tornado 5.8, Humber destroyer or Ocean pro or a Osprey. I currently have a Tohatsu one design which is also a deep V hull that's up there to imo.
__________________
Bigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 01:34   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Keyhaven
Boat name: Orion
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Honda 50HP
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkk01 View Post
... and looking for some background info and advice.

I've spent a lifetime messing around in small boats, but having recently returned "home", I've been thinking about getting a RIB. I know I'll have a lot to learn compared to modest powered displacement boats, but first things first - I need to narrow down what to look for.

From a practicality / cost / storage perspective, I think 6m is probably a sensible size limit.

I've always liked "workmanlike" boats (and other kit), in preference to fancy looking toys - a few older Humbers and Tornados have caught my eye.

Not sure of the typical draught on these sorts of boats. Estuary moorings / launch / recovery suggest that shallower draught might be more usable...

Any advice or thoughts very much appreciated...!
Where are you located, if you're down near me, you're welcome to come and have a play around with my Bombard Explorer 5.6m - get a feel for it etc.
__________________
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 02:35   #5
Member
 
Last Tango's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Denny
Boat name: Hebridean Storm
Make: Coastline
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner F150
MMSI: 235107505
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,559
Unless you're thinking of changing your car, "what can my car tow?" is a good starting point.
__________________
Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 04:01   #6
Member
 
Country: Other
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 29
Thanks for the replies so far

Budget - depends what and when... (ie, not new!!!)
Usage - 2-4 people. Cornwall / S.Devon estuaries and inshore coastline
Size - as above ^^ I am thinking 5-6m. Much over 6m will give storage problems
Storage - mooring available during summer months, on trailer / in garage / parking space during winter
Launching - we have a handy public road that is submerged twice a day ;-) (but water depths therefore shallower than typical slipway)
Towing capacity... 750 / 2500 kg
__________________
rkk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 11:40   #7
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,937
Some comments spring to mind.
There is a lot of difference in terms of performance between a 5m and a 6m, particularly when conditions get a bit less than ideal, and also internal space will vary substantially.
Budget will play a big part!
Get to try as many different types as you can.
Will you get the depth of water to launch even a 5m on a flooded road?
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 18:46   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Perth
Make: Funyak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 twatsu
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 120
Have you considered some of the other boat types?? If money is no object then a pioneer multi may be my first choice with the whaly 435R close behind. Shallow water, risk of grounding, estuary mooring, taking the ground,... A rotomolded hdpe boat may be a less risky option.
__________________
Stevie Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 08:12   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,339
Add to above "how wide is garage, driveway?" as some 6m are much broader than others if you like workman like looks orange or black tubes an jokey consoles then there are plenty about if estuary mooring will you need tender? then you can look for a sib as well.........
__________________
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2017, 16:05   #10
Member
 
Country: Other
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 29
Thanks all...

I'm both lucky and unlucky in respect of drive / garage / storage - in that I don't currently have any!

But I do have a plan for a double garage sketched out in my head. I can probably get a 6m garage into the plot available, but 7m could be pushing the boundary a tad ;-)

And then there's budget :-(
Building the garage I want pushes back other purchases, but I'd kick myself for building something 0.5m smaller than I might need in future...!

Out of what I've seen on eBay so far, the 5.5-5.8m boats look good, and I think this is probably where I'm headed. That said, a couple of Valiants have caught my eye - DR490 and a 5.2
__________________
rkk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2017, 12:35   #11
Member
 
Last Tango's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Denny
Boat name: Hebridean Storm
Make: Coastline
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner F150
MMSI: 235107505
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,559
Bear in mind, a 6m rib will be more than 6m when it's sitting on a trailer.

eg my 6.5mtr Coastline takes up just over 8mtrs on the trailer.
__________________
Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2017, 13:30   #12
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,417
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Bear in mind, a 6m rib will be more than 6m when it's sitting on a trailer.

eg my 6.5mtr Coastline takes up just over 8mtrs on the trailer.


Yup add another 1.5m to the boat length for overall boat/trailer length.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2017, 14:00   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Lottie
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury Optimax 115
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkk01 View Post
... and looking for some background info and advice.



Any advice or thoughts very much appreciated...!
Check the electrickery thoroughly!!! I've had to do a partial rewire prior to any first outing...
__________________
33JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2017, 03:33   #14
Member
 
ashtonmarine's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: glasgow
Boat name: black cat
Make: redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 140hp
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 77
Hi

best used rib sub 6m on the market that ticks your boxes that I have ever used and has a bit of a cult following is ribcraft 5.85. the 4.8 from them is also stunning

If it was new I would chase probond for a deal on the Carson but 2nd hand I would test these against anything else. Above that you get into some fun makes like coastline, redbay, delta etc but the 5.85 is simply stunning so well worth hunting down
__________________
Ashton Marine Services. Brokerage,Vanclaes, Bramber, Snipe Rapide trailers,
www.ashtonmarineservices.co.uk + 44 (0) 759 5638185 https://www.facebook.com/ashtonmarineservices/
ashtonmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2017, 03:38   #15
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,417
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonmarine View Post
Hi



best used rib sub 6m on the market that ticks your boxes that I have ever used and has a bit of a cult following is ribcraft 5.85. the 4.8 from them is also stunning



If it was new I would chase probond for a deal on the Carson but 2nd hand I would test these against anything else. Above that you get into some fun makes like coastline, redbay, delta etc but the 5.85 is simply stunning so well worth hunting down


The RC 5.45 ain't bad either IF you can find one
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2017, 08:20   #16
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,736
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
The RC 5.45 ain't bad either IF you can find one

IF...IS the question....
Great Hulls (especially if storage/length is a consideration) very sought after by those in the know.
Even Dryer ride than a 585!... And a deeper V.....
A WORLD away from a 530 which is more Leisure focused
......Certainly Nothing wrong with the 585 though!
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2017, 08:47   #17
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,417
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post


IF...IS the question....

Great Hulls (especially if storage/length is a consideration) very sought after by those in the know.

Even Dryer ride than a 585!... And a deeper V.....

A WORLD away from a 530 which is more Leisure focused

......Certainly Nothing wrong with the 585 though!


Having had both 585 & 545, the size difference is noticeable. The 585 can easily carry 6 people, the 545 is cosy with 4. The 545 is very beamy for its size & hence very dry & stable. The 545 is a unique hull & not a stretched or shortened version of its stablemates, she has a continuous deep V all the way to the transom, no planing pad or flaring out to the stern. This makes for a very soft forgiving ride, but she needs plenty of horses. The 585 is probably the best all-rounder that I've had, plenty of space, go anywhere, loads of fun with a 175 on the back.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2017, 10:49   #18
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,736
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Having had both 585 & 545, the size difference is noticeable. The 585 can easily carry 6 people, the 545 is cosy with 4. The 545 is very beamy for its size & hence very dry & stable. The 545 is a unique hull & not a stretched or shortened version of its stablemates, she has a continuous deep V all the way to the transom, no planing pad or flaring out to the stern. This makes for a very soft forgiving ride, but she needs plenty of horses. The 585 is probably the best all-rounder that I've had, plenty of space, go anywhere, loads of fun with a 175 on the back.
Yep...
(The 545 is a lot like a shrunk 6.8!)..just be thankful you eneded up with the 545 and not the 530 you thought Mr Jingles was!
I'm not surprised you like the 585 above the 640 that's for sure Dave!....its not an "in house" R.C Hull design...and it shows.
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2017, 11:26   #19
Member
 
Country: Other
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 29
A quick google suggests that the 585 is still produced as a new build???
(Not that I'm thinking of spending that much...!)

How do these to Ribcraft boats compare to, say, a Humber Destroyer of similar size(?)...
__________________
rkk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2017, 11:45   #20
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,417
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkk01 View Post
A quick google suggests that the 585 is still produced as a new build???

(Not that I'm thinking of spending that much...!)



How do these to Ribcraft boats compare to, say, a Humber Destroyer of similar size(?)...


The RC585 is current, what made you think otherwise?
The Humbers are capable hulls & there is nothing wrong with them per se. Humber has always occupied the budget end of the market, whereas Ribcraft have positioned themselves at the Commercial/Premium end of the market. This shows in quality of finish (apart from the rare hiccup) & layup. They are worlds apart in build quality & finish, but you pay for it, all IMO naturally. Saying that, catch Ribcraft at a quiet time & there are deals to be done.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.