Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 08 December 2002, 20:07   #1

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Thanks to rib net and rib international.

I would like to thank all the contributers to ribnet and rib international for all there very usefull advice over the yrs,it has helped me make, what I believe to be one of the greatest purchases,I will ever make.

I have been working for the last 12 months on the design of what in my opinion will be one of the worlds first long distance Practical and comfortable cabin cruising ribs, with creature comforts like in board shower/toilet, diesel heating,oven hob,sleeps 5, will roll upside down and self right.

Devoloped and Designed using a combination ideas from hundreds of ribnet comments and articles and numerous Naval architects developments and there ever increasing costs?.

Taday any boat needs to comply with the relevant RCD regs or MCA coding.( Be carefull as I feel the insurance companies will one day limit your use to what it says on your RCD plate ?)

You may ask why a Rib,the reason is in my opinion there aint a better offshore sea boat in the world.

I have looked long and hard and asked myself what is the downside of a rib,and it was a very hard question to answer,the only possible downside is space and protection from the elements.

We have overcome this and am confident that we have produced one of the Strongest, most fuel efficient boats possible, Taking into account a decent maximum range for cruising.

Also it had to have an acceptable speed of approx 36 knotts fully loaded.

Im a cynick by nature and will be writing numerous articles on this subject over the next few months, with a view to repaying the assistance this site has given me and in the hope that this jurney I have set out on,will be of some help to others who feel they trully appreaciate ribs, and like me feel they cant be beaten as they are the Transport of the future.

The upsides are to numerous to mention ,eg speed ,sea kindley,range and abilities
Old 08 December 2002, 21:15   #2

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Get the price right and that may be just what I am looking for What price are you aiming this craft at, what engines are going to be offered and what length will it be.

Are you going to have it manufactured in South Africa? seems they are the only people who are realistic on prices at the moment. Seems we are being hammered financially for RIBS over here!

Pete
Old 08 December 2002, 22:00   #3

Dear Flanker,

It aint built in South Africa as I tried emailing all the major suppliers and didnt get any responce.I had also heard that some of the S.A boats had problems with quality control.My attitude will anoy some in the same way when you say that Skoda is crap you find out the guy you spoke to owns a Skoda and finds it great !

But if we cant tell it as we see it on here then whats the point?

I found the only manufacturer that came up to our criteria was based in Canada.The brit builders didnt want to now when I asked for drawings a GZ curves for stability and was the stability based on the lates iso 12217 requirments for offshore craft.

As far as price goes I dont want to tell you as we aint finished yet, but Becouse the boat is everthing I say it is and more, It aint cheap,but in the long term its the only boat I will ever own.
Old 08 December 2002, 22:04   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Hello Crazyhorse,

Does your profile match your planned boat - ie: is it planned to be a 33ft aluminium craft?
Old 08 December 2002, 22:06   #5

Dear Crazyhorse,

Just wondering where you aim to fit in the market, e.g. Tohatsu, Avon, Redbay, e.t.c. e.t.c.

Pete
Old 08 December 2002, 22:09   #6

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Crazyhorse
when I saw the town I thought it must be you - now I knows it is - Howyadoing Dave and family
Old 08 December 2002, 22:13   #7

Perhaps you could have a chat with Manos, I know he has some good contacts in South Africa.

Pete
Old 08 December 2002, 22:24   #8

Dear pepper,

In answer to your question yes it is.

Flanker it will fit in into the market for offshore cruising ribs,built to todays Mca standardes and exeeding the Recreational Craft Directive for cat B Standards.

Its power plant is the Volvo Kad300 dpg Leg duo prop.

And Dave at Wavelength Im Looking forward to do some more training with you at your great establishment as soon as you can fit me in.

Cheers CrazyHorse
Old 09 December 2002, 06:14   #9

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Not wanting to be a "cynick" but is this a sales pitch ?

Can't say I ( imo ) really want to see this on rib.net

Regards

Mark

P.S. Tesco's Christmas pud is great and very reasonably priced!
Old 09 December 2002, 06:38   #10

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Quote:
Skoda is crap

Not since VW brought them out!

Keith (mondeo man) Hart
Old 09 December 2002, 07:24   #11
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkWildey
Not wanting to be a "cynick" but is this a sales pitch ?

Can't say I ( imo ) really want to see this on rib.net
Of course it's a sales pitch. Well, a teaser anyway . . .

At least it sounds like an interesting boat though, so I'll let him get away with it just this once!

John
Old 09 December 2002, 10:00   #12

Dear All,

Am I being silenced!

I can understand your personal feelings on this matter when you own a Scorpian.

I will say no more on the subject untill requested to do so by others!

thanks Crazyhorse
Old 09 December 2002, 12:36   #13

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Hi Guys
This thread started me thinking ( I know rare these days)
The RNLI had a class of boats called the Medina, large cabin, inboard boats.
They built 3 I think then phased them out, Venture S&R had one in the Beauli river for a while
Any one know why? THey were 30 odd feet self righting etc.?
Old 09 December 2002, 12:44   #14

Town: Jersey
Boat name: t/t
Make: Honda
Length: under 3m
RNLI Medina Class

The Medina was a test idea for the RNLI. Was intended to possibly replace the Tyne as a slipway or beach launch vessel. The Sea Scouts recieved a Medina as their old boat got vandalised as I understand.

The RNLI went down the road of the Atlantic 75 for Inshore work which the RNLI class as 3 miles from station. The Medina with waterjets was decided unsuitable for "rough weather".

Their trials and development also went down the line of the Tamar class which is being built be DML in Plymouth. This is the All weather slipway boat to replace the Tyne.

Also when they recieved the responsibility for the Thames they adopted the Tiger Marine FRBs for their 40 knots response speed. With these it was decided waterjets were acceptable as there aint too much rough water on the Thames..

Hope this all helps.

Karl
Old 09 December 2002, 13:07   #15

Town: West Sussex
Dear All

our company makes ribs in Poland. Not a lot of people know that but we do. our rib range is 5.4, 6.3 , 7.5, 8.0 and 9.0
The last 4 can be offered with cabins and if you check out our web page www.parker.com.pl you can see a short film of our Parker 7.5 cabin rib.
I have a Parker 630 with the Mercruiser 1.7 DTI inboard and those of you you went down to St Malo had an opportunity to see it . In my humble opinion not a bad rib
Any serious interest please contact me
Andre
Old 09 December 2002, 13:15   #16

Town: Poole
Nice one crazyhorse upping the stakes

"I can understand your personal feelings on this matter when you own a Scorpion.” What would Freud say about that statement!

As it happens I have owned a number of ribs, all of which have their good points and bad points.

If your boat is built to the same standards or even exceeding that of Scorpion then you will have a quality product and onto a winner.

My point and I defer to the masses or JK, as he is the Dark Web Master here, is that rib.net is for people interested in rib's, as I assume you are and we don't want to turn this forum into a medium for companies to sell their products unless they give JK large wads of money.

If these products are good then people will say so and potentially members here will go and buy them.

As for my personal feelings I wish you good luck and if you make a nice boat then I would tell other people and if there were things wrong with it then I would give my honest opinion regardless of what boat I have.

Mark
Old 09 December 2002, 13:41   #17

Hi ,the Medina was a good boat, and as you say the reason it was fased out was the problems with the water jets,There has been some new testing done on the Ocean Dynamicks boat I believe.

Im Not sure what there outcome was,I personaly feel happier with the grip you get with a prop in the water, and the benefits of fuel economy and all up weight as a waterjet plus engine and gearbox makes it unreasonable at the other end.

Water jets have come a long way but in my opinion have advantages and disadvantages like all forms of boat propulsion.

As far as self righting goes lets hope nobody needs it,I was concerned when I found out that some ribs/and others boats were almost as stable inverted as they were the right way up.

The new regulation for compliance to the Recreational Craft Directives with regard iso standardes iso 12217 for stability for offshore craft clearly shows when analysing a vessel GZ stability curve what is good and what is bad,and puts the client in a better position to make a more informed decision.

My initial feeling was one of ,more paperwork UH, but I realised that it was for better to design and more seaworthy boat and all round safety,that in my opinion I welcome holehartedly for long distance offshore craft.

The days are gone when you looked at a new boat and thought thats got good lines,Its all computer modelling and stability tests, GZ results, Angle of vanishing stability ,downflooding angles,ect ect.

Still great fun though.

Thanks Mark for your comments,The Scorpian is a great boat, and I look forward to your constructive comments in the future.

Your right it will sell itself in fact the first one is already sold,I agree all ribs are just fantastick and I will try and moderate my enthusiasam.

It difficult trying to help RIB net clients know all the ins and outs of the boat building buisness as I see it, withought upsetting some body, as it is going through such a huge transformation at the moment,i.e Recreational craft Directive and implication,4 stroke/2 stroke,Diesel injection emissions,Grp and aluminium structures,Radar displays, vhfGMDss,etc etc.

I can only give my personal feelings on this ever changing monkey.In the hope that it helps others make informed decisions and question everthing they are told.

Crazyhorse going out to graze.

Old 09 December 2002, 14:07   #18

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Re: RNLI Medina Class

Quote:
Originally posted by karlT
The Sea Scouts recieved a Medina as their old boat got vandalised as I understand.
Karl,

Do you know which/who sea scouts got this toy?

(My sea scouts have a couple of mirror dinghys )

Just interested

Dan
Old 09 December 2002, 14:12   #19
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally posted by crazyhorse
Am I being silenced!
No -- you would know about it if you were being silenced!

My main concern about commercial postings on RIBnet is not that people should be paying lots of money (although it is always welcome ), but that the forums should remain useful and interesting.

Genuine news is fine, but it starts to become a problem when every enquiry is met by a barrage of adverts.

So far it is working pretty well. In the past I have had a quiet word with a one or two advertisers who I felt were pushing their luck slightly, but generally it's not a problem. We do seem to have quite a loyal membership who tend to be a bit protective though, which is no bad thing in my book

John
Old 09 December 2002, 14:38   #20

Town: Jersey
Boat name: t/t
Make: Honda
Length: under 3m
Daniel,

I understand the group is called Venture Search and Rescue based on the Beaulieu river. I think they are a trust or charity started by an ex navy mariner to provide training and experience to under priveledged youths. So not "sea scouts" in true terms.

However, I know they have a very active calender with a Channel Island cruise completed this summer.

I understand the kids do ALL the navigation and boathandling with an overseeing eye. Learn the theory in the winter and then get to do it all when the sun comes round.

Regards
Karl