Old 06 October 2013, 09:08   #1

Town: Wick Highland
Boat name: Dirty Cow
Make: Osprey Viper 525
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 90HP
Teleflex issue

Has anyone or is it even possible to remove the internal wire from a teleflex steering cable?
Reason; I bought a replacement and fitted it to my boat after snapping the previous one, however the new one is maybe four inches longer than the original dispite being marked the same length, may not sound a lot but I'm struggling to loose the slack due to the cable being fed through a duct under the deck to the consol, this has created a lot of friction in the steering making it a two hand task to steer, not very good at all, what I was hoping might be possible is if I could remove the inner from the new cable and use the outer sheath of the old one, I've tried to get the old one out but it doesn't seem to want to come, any idea's anyone??
Old 08 October 2013, 12:14   #2

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
From memory, then end fittings, which include the nobbly bit that goes through the helm unit are swaged on and cannot be removed without destroying the cable. You would also struggle to use a miss-matched inner/outer. Can you measure it and see if it is in spec? There will be a maximum allowable length variation and if it is outside of that, you might be able to return it for another.

Phil M
Old 08 October 2013, 17:24   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Try these for advice/parts if needed Hypromarine :: Contact Us
Old 08 October 2013, 18:18   #4

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Had one of mine snap at the engine end earlier this year so I thought I'd have a play & see if I could do anything with it such as refitting the end as it had snapped just short of the fitting due to corrosion - or whether it would give me any ideas about removing the inner cable from the other one to check & grease.
Waste of time unfortunately & I've replaced it with one with a stainless inner cable.
Old 08 October 2013, 20:03   #5

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: 90hp
RIBase
We had a similar problem with the steering on a friends Rib. Cable was just a bit too long so found that by unbolting the helm in the console and rotating it 120 degrees it took up the extra length by increasing the curve of the cable. Bolted the helm back up in it's new position and job done.
Old 09 October 2013, 14:28   #6

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Try these for advice/parts if needed Hypromarine :: Contact Us
I thought Steve had dropped the mechanical Teleflex, I use BainbridgeMarine.co.uk for anything with cables.
Old 11 October 2013, 10:03   #7

Town: Wick Highland
Boat name: Dirty Cow
Make: Osprey Viper 525
Engine: Mariner 90HP
Thanks guys I got it about a year ago so no chance of sending it back, I've damaged it too, it was that tight initially I put too much strain on the wheel and I must have stretched the coil round the cable, giving me a bit of a slack section like an old Landrover, might have to just bite the bullet and order a new one, its usable as is but hard going, I have the boat out of the marina at present for a scrape so thought I'd have a go at this at the same time.