Old 08 December 2009, 14:06   #1

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Slips etc in Portland area?

I am back on the Swanage related issue again.

Can anybody tell me if there are any good slips in Portland Harbour and if there is petrol available please?

Old 08 December 2009, 14:24   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Ferry Bridge or possibly the new Olympic set-up at Sandsfoot.
Old 08 December 2009, 14:51   #3

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I've used the slipway at UKSA, Portland. It's only a few years old, as Mollers says, part of the redevelopment works for the Olympics. I think it's free - nobody came chasing after me for payment anyway, but that was a couple of years ago.
Loads of parking on site too (also free!)
Old 08 December 2009, 15:18   #4

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
I am back on the Swanage related issue again.

Can anybody tell me if there are any good slips in Portland Harbour and if there is petrol available please?

hello mate, i was there for a month in august and it's a good slip, don't know if it's free i wouldn't think so, there is petrol there as well
Old 08 December 2009, 16:41   #5

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
There are a couple of slipways: see Boatlaunch for details.

I can also confirm that petrol is now available there as part of the Olympic development. However, when I called in for some in September, the pump was broken and wouln't dispense. They were hoping to have it mended later that day but I was en route for Yarmouth and couldn't wait. I made it with some 50 litres to spare which is a bit less than I would have liked (although could have called into Poole if necessary).
Old 10 December 2009, 09:01   #6

Town: Wemouth
Hold it, Hold it.

The sailing accadamy (Olympic site- WPNSA) is certainly not free!! You're looking at about £30/ day for launching. See www.wpnsa.org.uk for more details. Bluewater horizons on Ferrybridge will launch you but for a similar fee I imagine.

If you go past WPNSA and onto Portland, go to Castletown where there is the ONLY FREE slipway into Portland Harbour. Parking nearby on disused Naval/ SAR site. Slip is near a number of diving shops- lots of dive RIBs use the slip. It is shingle a low tide but with a rope I would say your pretty safe for most states of the tide. Don't take my word for it though- I've only used the slip about half a dozen times.
Old 11 December 2009, 20:43   #7

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by n428 View Post
Hold it, Hold it.

The sailing accadamy (Olympic site- WPNSA) is certainly not free!! You're looking at about £30/ day for launching. See www.wpnsa.org.uk for more details. Bluewater horizons on Ferrybridge will launch you but for a similar fee I imagine.

If you go past WPNSA and onto Portland, go to Castletown where there is the ONLY FREE slipway into Portland Harbour. Parking nearby on disused Naval/ SAR site. Slip is near a number of diving shops- lots of dive RIBs use the slip. It is shingle a low tide but with a rope I would say your pretty safe for most states of the tide. Don't take my word for it though- I've only used the slip about half a dozen times.
I agree with that. Castletown is the only free slip. Once you start going up the hill take the first left, past the swimming pool and jsu after the dive shop opposite the pubs & hotels.
Old 11 December 2009, 20:47   #8

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
There is a free slip into Weymouth harbour and petrol is in the town 5 minutes walk away with a shopping trolley. Slipway is wide and there is a car park opposite in the town. You might be able to park the tailer at the top of the slip in a dedicated trailer park.

50 36 33 94N
002 27 26 16W

On google Earth.

Pete
Old 12 December 2009, 10:20   #9

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
There is a free slip into Weymouth harbour and petrol is in the town 5 minutes walk away with a shopping trolley. Slipway is wide and there is a car park opposite in the town. You might be able to park the tailer at the top of the slip in a dedicated trailer park.

50 36 33 94N
002 27 26 16W

On google Earth.

Pete

Not quite free - it's supposed to be £6 if I remember correctly. It is often free though as the hut is only really manned during the summer

I've never paid yet but it's only luck.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2009, 12:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Not quite free - it's supposed to be £6 if I remember correctly. It is often free though as the hut is only really manned during the summer

I've never paid yet but it's only luck.
Ah, I never paid to launch there either, hence why I thought it was free. Still £6 is an awful lot cheaper than our Portland Olympic venue

The other possibility is the boatyard just over the causeway bridge onto the Bill. They are going to charge but the main problem is the shallow water at low tide out into the main harbour and it really is shallow having had to walk a rib up to the bridge because we only had about 10 inches of water. The fleet is quite interesting if you have the time, but again HW preferred as it is shallow.

Pete
Old 12 December 2009, 20:22   #11

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Not sure if the sailing club (Castle Cove) are allowing use of their slipway? They took over the sailing Centre at the end of Old Castle Road when it moved to Portland.

They have 2 slips, 1 of which is usable at all tide states.

So options are;
Weymouth Harbour - good slipway and parking
Ferry Bridge - tide dependant and can be difficult
Sailing acadamy - great place but can be expensive
Castletown - free, parking local, ok at most tide states
Castle Cove Sailing Club, if allowed

Missed any?

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 15:43   #12

Quote:
Missed any?
Yep, Royal Engineer bridging camp have a superb slip up the fleet but you will need to be MOD to get in. Possibly a public over the grass slip just to the south of the MOD wire fence.

DERA have one in the North East corner of Portland Harbour but it is steep and has a ledge at the top so sib sized boats only, although we have stored boats there before.

Sailing club half way along northern Portland Harbour foreshore? going to be shallow at LW though.

Yacht club on south side of Weymouth harbour has slip, but parking a nightmare and narrow access roads. Possibly another near RNLI station but again parking extremly difficult.

After that you are into Kimmeridge / Lulworth / Swanage.

My choice would be Weymouth town centre. Sheltered, food in the highstreet 50 yards away and parking for trailer and car available at small cost.

Pete
Old 13 December 2009, 16:04   #13

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Yep, Royal Engineer bridging camp have a superb slip up the fleet but you will need to be MOD to get in.
The address is Camp Road aptly enough.
Old 13 December 2009, 20:34   #14

Town: Wemouth
Quote:
Not sure if the sailing club (Castle Cove) are allowing use of their slipway? They took over the sailing Centre at the end of Old Castle Road when it moved to Portland.

They have 2 slips, 1 of which is usable at all tide states.
Members only, and even then RIBs still only allowed to launch there if being used in connection with club activity (such as rescue boat etc).

The slipway next to the lifeboat at Weymouth SC have very narrow access (and 2 locked compounds to get through. Again members only.

I haven't tried council slip in Weymouth harbour- sounds good though. Have I heard about a lip at low tide where trailers can get stuck?
Old 14 December 2009, 07:58   #15

Town: wells
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115
The harbour slip does indeed have a lip at low tide & parking can be a little hit and miss in the summer. I use the sailing accadamy slip, nice and wide with good access, toilets and a hose. once you get to know them they will let you leave trailer and car in the compound at the top of the slip. Good value too so long as you under estimate the length of your rib. Not sure about Castletown but would be interested to hear any comments about parking availability.