Old 09 September 2020, 17:29   #1

Town: Basingstoke
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Sealegs

Hi,

Looking for views on Sealegs amphibious craft.

Wondering about the size of the compromise and any real world experience.

Don't have a place on the shore but think it would be amazing for exploring coastline without having to worry about tides etc.

Also would like to be able to launch with the need for a slip.
Old 09 September 2020, 17:49   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
I toyed with the idea, we had a go on one at the Southampton boat show. I think they’re an excellent piece of kit, the opportunities for exploring and wild camping would be incredible.
On the down side, they cost an insane amount of money.
From a personal point of view, we now have a house with a berth so we went for a hard boat. We can anchor up and sib to shore but I still wonder about the Sealegs!
Old 09 September 2020, 20:47   #3

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
A very (very) expensive way of "not worrying about the tides"! And presumably you would still "worry" to some extent anyway to make sure you don't ding the propellor on the bottom when using it as a boat.

There's a couple in Poole, and if you have a house with a private slipway but no pier/berth (or you own one of the private islands), I can absolutely see the appeal and why you'd have a Sea Legs.

But personally, unless it was one of those reasons (neither of which applies to me admittedly!), I think they are incredibly expensive craft that are somewhat compromised handling wise given the enormous wheels and hydraulic retracting mechanisms bolted to either end of the RIB. For far far less money you could get a more capable RIB that's also a lot simpler to maintain, as it doesn't need the extra engine to power the hydraulic systems, doesn't have the hydraulic lifting and drive mechanisms, no wheel assemblies, etc.

I have looked at the Sea Legs here a number of times, and the hulls at least appear to be solidly built from aluminium, but for the price I wasn't otherwise particularly impressed with the overall fit out.

Where are you thinking of launching it? You say you don't want to use a slipway, are you going to tow it somewhere on a trailer and then try to drive it onto the beach and launch? I can't instantly think of many places around Poole where you could get a Sea Legs from a public carpark onto the beach legally.
Old 09 September 2020, 22:07   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6532.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	135047if you want to spend some proper money, I saw this Iguana on Wittering beach a couple of years ago - we were dragging our anchor off the sand and gradually refloating a big rib.
I am willing to put up with a bit of inconvenience to save that kind of money but still awesome!!
Old 10 September 2020, 00:18   #5

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I've seen a few on my Travels and seen one up close and used in the Scillies....certainly a head turner concept! ....but definitely a Toy for the well healed Boater who has everything else IMO...
In my view of limited practical application compared with the normal Trailer launched "set up" and a little effort in my opinion...probably why you don't see more
You have to be really close to the Sea regardless for any real easy practical usage (surly the main reason to have one in the first place) when you can literally drive it straight from you're not so Humble abode across the beach and be at Sea in a trifle ....To me on close inspection there looks like like there'd be one hell of a lot maintenance with all the Alloy and Hydraulics and moving parts ect constantly in the Salt and at war with electrolysis and the elements...
With ever the chance of impact to all that undercarriage and gubbins under and in front of the Hull...poor handleing and balance characteristics compared to a good 100% all out Sea going RIB.

IF however you have instant access to the water can drive it straight from "home" (otherwise a trailer will still be needed ....and God only knows what that would entail ) across the hard sand/rubble beach and back into preferably a Boat house with a good supply of fresh water at hand to wash down after each trip...don't mind pottering about I don't think the performance is particularly Blistering! ...and preferably ....(another Decent RIB for longer more arduous duties) and pretty deep pockets you MAY just find one useful and practical for you're needs.
(ALL of which the Guy on I think it was Tresco ..had

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 05:20   #6

Current boat is a 4.8m Ribcraft which is perfect for family (2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs).

Now it has been modified with a transom seat, everybody has somewhere to sit, seakeeping is confidence inspiring, and I can easily launch on my own.

However I do miss the flexibility of the equally fantastic Aerotec 380 - with transom wheels.

As well as playing around in the Solent, we like to take the boat on holiday, just back from a lovely week in Skye. After beach launching the rib she was kept tied up to a pier about a mile from the cottage.

One night I eventually hauled her out because I was worried about high winds, at low tides she dried out, so outings had to be planned according, then similar issues at the various destinations.

With the Sealegs, or Aerotec (thinking mans amphibious craft?) I could have launched directly from cottage and enjoyed similar convenience at the other end - also less fretting on windy nights.....
Old 10 September 2020, 05:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestman View Post
Current boat is a 4.8m Ribcraft which is perfect for family (2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs).

Now it has been modified with a transom seat, everybody has somewhere to sit, seakeeping is confidence inspiring, and I can easily launch on my own.

However I do miss the flexibility of the equally fantastic Aerotec 380 - with transom wheels.

As well as playing around in the Solent, we like to take the boat on holiday, just back from a lovely week in Skye. After beach launching the rib she was kept tied up to a pier about a mile from the cottage.

One night I eventually hauled her out because I was worried about high winds, at low tides she dried out, so outings had to be planned according, then similar issues at the various destinations.

With the Sealegs, or Aerotec (thinking mans amphibious craft?) I could have launched directly from cottage and enjoyed similar convenience at the other end - also less fretting on windy nights.....

We were on Skye (visited by Sea) a couple of weeks ago...Some Coastline eh?...

Seems a LOAD of expense for a few days holiday a year!...
especially with a easily handled capable Rig you've got ..AND .just in case of bad weather...plus the Towing with I'm sure what would be a custom built or tailor maid supplied trailer (I towed well over a thousand miles (1350) our RC 6.8 but We quite like the Road trip and it won't be coming too us anytime soon) other stuff mentioned already.
Sheltered mooring or lift out would be my preference for sure....if your numbers have come up and you own the Cottage and pay for private flights then maybe it would makes sence
Kids DO get bigger too

Old 10 September 2020, 07:15   #8

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I'll stick my neck out here.

They are an expensive, heavy, and over complicated solution with too many compromises to a problem that doesn't exist in 99.999999......% of situations.

I'm not a fan.

Nasher.
Old 10 September 2020, 07:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I'll stick my neck out here.

They are an expensive, heavy, and over complicated solution with too many compromises to a problem that doesn't exist in 99.999999......% of situations.

I'm not a fan.

Nasher.
X2

Should have left to you Nash!

Old 10 September 2020, 09:28   #10

Town: Godalming
Boat name: Bumblebee
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: yamaha 40hp 2stroke
Someone near me has one, they're very isolated on the opposite side of the bay. It's obnoxiously loud for one thing, would it have killed them to fit a silencer to the lawnmower engine they're using to run the hydraulics. Also it doesn't always work, and you look like a prize pillock when you're ludicrously expensive amphibious rib gets stuck.
They were never a good looking boat but the new ones are even uglier with two front wheels for no reason I can see.
I'm not a fan either, get a sib with nice launching wheels and people will think you're much less of a cock
Old 10 September 2020, 09:38   #11

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Engine: 50 tohatsu
“Cock” being the prime word here. The 2 I’ve seen have both decided to motor across a very busy tourist beach and launch. One capsized here a year or two ago, beam on to some swell!
Old 10 September 2020, 10:42   #12

Town: Godalming
Boat name: Bumblebee
Make: Avon
Engine: yamaha 40hp 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allye View Post
“Cock” being the prime word here. The 2 I’ve seen have both decided to motor across a very busy tourist beach and launch. One capsized here a year or two ago, beam on to some swell!
Ahahaha what I wouldn't have given to watch that unfold, Billy big bollocks in his sealegs because he's too good to get his feet set going for a swim
Old 10 September 2020, 10:54   #13

I do prefer the Iguana solution as it doesn't compromise the boat element as much, but would have to opt for the electric on-land drive not the Petrol.

They are also a much better looking boat IMO.

Although, we should remember that the Sealegs solution was developed years ago, well before an efficient electric drive option for something like that was viable.

Nasher.
Old 10 September 2020, 12:10   #14

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
They are the accessory of choice for the warren (north wales) where you have your £1million+ caravan to park along side replaced the county tractor and Bayliner rare to see them do much than circles 50 yards outside the bathing buoys
Old 10 September 2020, 12:20   #15

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
I was told they were either developed originally for, or on, the Scillies? Any truth to that?
Old 10 September 2020, 14:19   #16

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
We have had 3 at the Dry Stack as owners live in London but have beech-front properties on the IOW. Apparently a cheaper solution than applying to build any sort of pier/pontoon.

Having driven a 6+m version , a 7.1m version and a 9m (all-wheel-drive) version, I would comment as follows: -

The hulls are great with excellent seakeeping qualities. I think you would barely notice the wheels.

The amphibious system is easy to use with a little practice (you need to budget for a couple of spare props).

They are better on sand/shingle/concrete than they are on soft mud, although the all-wheel-drive does improve useability greatly.

I didn't find the auxiliary engine particularly loud, but hey, you rock up in one of those and you're gonna turn heads anyway.

I'd happily have one but don't live in London with a beach-front property on the Island

Finally, be prepared for the "haters".

Regards

Steve
Old 10 September 2020, 14:28   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
We have had 3 at the Dry Stack
Steve
Does "had" suggest they didn't keep them long?

Does anyone on here have one, or is going to own up to having one?

I'd genuinely like to be proved wrong by an owner putting a case forward for one that isn't just about 'Hey, look at me'.

Nasher.
Old 10 September 2020, 14:38   #18

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
No. But my mate on the Scillies says quite a number of people have them and they're great, there.
Old 10 September 2020, 18:00   #19

There’s a flash runt here in Christchurch who owns one of those sea legs who parks it on full show, right outside both of his flash runt hospitality business’s in Christchurch and Mudeford, £6 for a cold multi pack can of lager, £15 for a dogs**t pizza, along with an overpriced “so called” seafood menu that a 10 year old could cook up with better inspiration. I always thought daylight robbery was a criminal offence!!!
Old 10 September 2020, 18:50   #20

Wow - some pretty strong negative opinions - owners will definitely need a tin hat!
Apart from the one from someone who's helmed one that is...
Still, probably better off doubling up on the Anchor Buddy!