Old 20 August 2013, 09:08   #1

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
RYA Courses

Anyone done the RYA intermediate power boat course (alternative know as powerboat day cruising course) or have knowledge of it? I been around small boats all my life dinghy sailing and sports boats hence don’t believe I will benefit from PB2. Planning to upgrade my hard boat for 5.5 RIB this winter with a view to doing a lot more coastal cruising. the sort of passage(s) I have in mind are Portland to Poole, Lyme Regis to Brixham, Round IOW etc. I feel this course would be ideal for passage planning? Have been in touch with PB Training Cobbs quay and have the details/cost however the course is not popular hence they don’t have any planned but will run one if at least one other wishes to do it. So .... have three questions for you all

Is it a worthwhile course?

Anyone have alternative suggestions/courses in mind?

Anyone else interested in doing the course with? (PM me if you want more details)
Old 20 August 2013, 09:20   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Book a PB2 course with a good school and explain your previous experience. Consider 1 to 1. This is what I did in a similarish position to yourself and I suspect we covered stuff that either isn't really PB2 or in more depth than a PB2. The Intermediate course assumes a certain level of knowledge:

Boat handling to the standard of the Level 2 course with a coastal endorsement. Knowledge to the level of Day Skipper theory is recommended. It is strongly recommended that candidates hold a first aid certifciate and a VHF/SRC operators certifciate.

If you are looking for "Passage Planning" as you suggest then you need to consider Day Skipper Theory.
Old 20 August 2013, 11:15   #3

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Book a PB2 course with a good school and explain your previous experience. Consider 1 to 1. This is what I did in a similarish position to yourself and I suspect we covered stuff that either isn't really PB2 or in more depth than a PB2. The Intermediate course assumes a certain level of knowledge:

Boat handling to the standard of the Level 2 course with a coastal endorsement. Knowledge to the level of Day Skipper theory is recommended. It is strongly recommended that candidates hold a first aid certifciate and a VHF/SRC operators certifciate.
All great advice - you are a perfect candidate to get your PB2 by direct assessment - any RYA Powerboat Training Centre will explain and facilitate this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
If you are looking for "Passage Planning" as you suggest then you need to consider Day Skipper Theory.
Definitely the way to go - get the theory and understand it before you go further - the Intermediate is a cracker course and for most leisure users much better and useful than the Advanced.

Let us know how you get on
Old 20 August 2013, 12:35   #4

Town: Argyll
Boat name: Puffin
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235075764
I came to RIBs with similar experience of a lifetime of messing about in dinghies and keelboats. I did a Level 2 which was really helpful in giving me the close quarters handling techniques of coming alongside pontoons, man overboard etc etc.

I already had a dayskipper theory and practical so was advised I would not get much from an intermediate course so then went straight to Advanced powerboat which was really helpful in giving confidence on longer passages, both planning and execution including a night time passage. I did the advanced with a friend of similar ability, we did it as a private arrangement in my boat over a weekend which meant it was very much tailored to our own needs and I would highly recommend this approach. Overall cost for the two of us was not much more than we would have paid on a course with a 1;3 or 1;4 ratio.

If you don't have dayskipper theory I would agree with the others that it is well worth doing, I did it as an evening course over the winter.

Paul
Old 20 August 2013, 12:54   #5

PB2 and do day skipper theory (see if you can do day skipper theory as a night school course in your area, you learn more over 13 weeks rather than try and do the day skipper theory in one go over a week.) usually night school courses start around september so good time to look. I did PB2, intermediate and advanced, all have something to offer but more practicle then spending time learning about navigation and in depth planning considerations so I would recommend day skipper theory night school, in fact I did the day skipper twice in a 4 year period as I really enjoyed it and the second time was a great refhresher.
Old 20 August 2013, 21:08   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Engine: 200 HP
Hi Budgie

Budgie

Contrary to some of the above, I dont think there is much point in a direct assessment Level 2 for you unless you are after a piece of paper. The Intermediate certificate will of course trump the level 2 anyway in most walks of life. If you have relevant experience in boat handling etc then you are right in jumping straight to Intermediate. Adapting Poly's idea though, a good Instructor should be able to pitch the Intermediate course at your level and ensure you leave having learnt as much as possible.

If you fancy the drive up to Southampton we will run the course for you. I am happy to take single bookings, its our job to worry about selling other places on the course!

Our boats are 6 and 7m XS RIBS (max 3 yrs old) and our cruising ground is the Solent.
Old 20 August 2013, 22:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
Contrary to some of the above, I dont think there is much point in a direct assessment Level 2 for you unless you are after a piece of paper
That "piece of paper" as you call it is very tangible proof of "Boat handling to the standard of the Level 2 course with a coastal endorsement" which as Poly stated is the requirement of the Intermediate powerboat course under "Assumed Knowledge" (ass-u-me).
Unless I knew the candidate personally I would not accept anyone onto an Intermediate course just because they "claimed" they could drive - if I had a pound for everyone who did that ..........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
a good Instructor should be able to pitch the Intermediate course at your level and ensure you leave having learnt as much as possible.
A good Instructor will run and teach such a course to the STANDARD required by the RYA and not to the level of the student. The standard required to complete a short coastal passage by day is clearly laid out in the RYA Intermediate Powerboat syllabus in both Section A & B under the headings of "Knowledge", "Understands" and "Can".
Old 21 August 2013, 05:53   #8

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Interesting stuff.

I'm also looking to get a one-on-one day with an EXPERIENCED RYA accredited rib handler/instructor because although I'm a commercially-endorsed Yachtmaster, power and sail (Instructor for sail) with approx 40k miles under my keel and three solo Atlantic crossings in yachts, I have never had any professional instruction in RIBs. I don't need the piece of paper, just some time on the water with an experienced, accredited RIB handler in order to maximise my understanding and enjoyment going forward.

I know the colregs, passage planning, have the radio licence, etc, etc, have skippered 18m twin 1200hp jet-driven 50 knot powerboats and had some 'fun' driving RIBs over the past 20 years but 90% of the membership on here probably have more dedicated time under their belt in RIBs than I do.

I couldn't give a toss about a piece of paper and realise I'm probably an 'unusual' candidate for whom (say) the Powerboat Level 2 course would not be suitable, but I'd certainly value the time spent with an experienced instructor out on the water 'handling' a powerful RIB in a chop in order to learn 'best practice' first hand.

So, any RYA accredited, experienced, RIB instructors in the North Wales area interested in tailoring something for what I believe the powerboat brigade generally term a 'WAFI', looking to cross over to the dark side, PM me your details
Old 21 August 2013, 06:39   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Engine: 200 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
That "piece of paper" as you call it is very tangible proof of "Boat handling to the standard of the Level 2 course with a coastal endorsement" which as Poly stated is the requirement of the Intermediate powerboat course under "Assumed Knowledge" (ass-u-me).
Unless I knew the candidate personally I would not accept anyone onto an Intermediate course just because they "claimed" they could drive - if I had a pound for everyone who did that ..........................
Level 2 skills are assumed knowledge, the level 2 certificate is not a pre requisite. It's not our style to force students to take and pay for a half day boat handling assessment they don't want before we allow them to book a practical navigation course. In this case the OP is a boat owner, it's not cast iron proof but it suggests he has some experience. It is inevitable that the instructor on the Intermediate course can include a little coaching on boat handling along the way if required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
A good Instructor will run and teach such a course to the STANDARD required by the RYA and not to the level of the student.
I don't think it should be too challenging to do both. One of the strengths of the RYA scheme is the opportunity for Instructors to tailor courses to individuals while ensuring the syllabus is covered.

If we tried to make every course identical we would end up with some very poor courses, there are too many variables

Different boats
Different cruising/ teaching areas
Different students with different experience and needs
Different weather and tide on the day if the course
to name but a few
Old 15 October 2013, 17:52   #10

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
Having considered all the advise on this thread, PM's, talking to day skipper theory/intermediate instructors did intermediate course last weekend, excellent course, exactly what I needed, got me out of bad habits lots of good tips, came away lot more confident in my own ability to undertake passages.

If you have boat handling experience some sell taught knowledge of charts, tides, weather etc this is the right course to bring it all together
Old 15 October 2013, 18:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie1 View Post
Having considered all the advise on this thread, PM's, talking to day skipper theory/intermediate instructors did intermediate course last weekend, excellent course, exactly what I needed, got me out of bad habits lots of good tips, came away lot more confident in my own ability to undertake passages.

If you have boat handling experience some sell taught knowledge of charts, tides, weather etc this is the right course to bring it all together
Delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Intermediate course and that it lived up to/exceeded your expectations - RYA training at its best