Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02 August 2011, 13:56   #1
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Wrexham
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 99
River launch costs - Extortionate prices??

Hi All,

I'm new to the world of boating and have just bought a small inflatable and 5hp outboard for fishing from on my local river, the Dee near Wrexham/Chester.

Having been on the council website it seems that they want to charge me £91 per annum plus £55 joining fee and I must have public liability insurance. Is this alot to be paying to get started on the water?

Having looked at the British waterways website it seems that I can use a range of rivers further afield for less than this for the lot.

I have spoke to other boat users on the river and they have said that the patrol boat won't check such a small boat and engine anyway and the fees would only really apply to those launching cruisers from the official council slipway.

I'm a bit stuck as to what to do and don't really want to fork out £200 for half a dozen short trips out before it expires in December.

Any advice on what I should do?


wxmrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2011, 14:05   #2
kerny's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,078
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Hi mate and welcome, as far as I know you would only be charged launching at a council slipway, not sure about fishing rights on rivers maybe that's included in the fee. Also can you not pay for launching on a daily basis ? As far as third party liability insurance is concerned you would be wise to take it out, or why not insure the whole boat, it wouldn't cost the earth. Have a search on here for recommended insurance companies

kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2011, 14:11   #3
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Wrexham
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 99
thanks kerny, I very much hope this is true! I'll look into insurance and dont mind paying £40-50 a year.

wxmrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2011, 14:20   #4
T 15's Avatar
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: Bangor, Co Down
Boat name: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Make: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha F40, Merc 500
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 265
you should have at least 3rd party insurance, ( try: The Basic Boat Liability Company
Boat liability insurance-small boats-third party boat insurance )

not much help to you but all our inland waterways over here in Ireland ( North & South ) are totally free,
you could take a very long holiday over here !!!

hope you get it sorted & welcome.
T 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2011, 15:33   #5
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,238
If you look, it's for powered craft from the weir to Farndon bridge. If you launch upstream then come down river:
A) they're unlikely to stop a small inflatable
B) they mainly patrol from the weir to the red house pub
C) wherever you launch, Plead ignorance and say there were no signs upriver of the Farndon bridge and say you will apply
D) how much is the fine? Doubt it's more than £50.
E) there's hardly ever a patrol boat

I'd just take a chance and don't speed!!!! If you see him. Stop engine and row!
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT. The time now is 23:25.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.