Old 20 August 2011, 15:10   #1

Boat name: Custard Pie
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Ringos etc?

My son has just had a 'Ringo' party at the local lake and is now keen for me to get one to pull behind our rib. Is there any recommendation about the positioning/fixing of the 'U' bolts that I'll need to put on the transom.
Also, having looked at other threads and the mention of pulleys on bridles, is there any way to avoid the prop fouling when the tow rope is slack, or is it just a case of being watchful at all times?
I won't be doing anything now until next Spring, but advice is always useful.

Cheers
Old 20 August 2011, 16:04   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Not really experienced at pulling tubes, but the few times I did, I made a point of not backing up. Keeps the line stretched out, and for the most part, well away from the prop.

I carabinered the tow rope to an eyebolt on the transom (just inside the top of the tube); worked well enough. If you have an A-frame, you can probably tie the rope off low on the rear tube.
Old 20 August 2011, 17:36   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
If you are putting something on to do the job and it's only for light towing, I'd put it as high as you can on the transom to keep the rope away from the prop. The traditional ring mounted low on the transom is the strongest place but very hard to see the line from the helm especially in a boat like mine where you are seated well forwards in the boat, you really cannot see what the first six or eight feet of line are doing and whether they are anywhere near the prop.

I've always thought it would be an idea to have a very stretchy bit of elastic from a point on the tow line to the top of the A frame so as soon as the tension went on the tow line it would haul the tow line clear of the water, but would elongate to allow a straight tow line under load, but I do so little towing I've never got round to looking for anything suitable or trying it. I guess it's not for nothing that most ski boats or proper ski points are fairly high up!

The best thing is for the person on the other end of the rope to be aware/responsible to keep it tight enough to keep it away from the prop.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 19:00   #4

Boat name: Custard Pie
Make: Humber
Engine: Yamaha
I don't have an A-Frame, but I like your idea of an elastic safety rope.
Looks like I'll mount the rings high, as I also have a very-forward mounted console.
Cheers
Old 21 August 2011, 14:02   #5

Town: South Coast
Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: VW Inboard
Hi there.

I tow ringos on a raised hoop / ski frame over my engine which works well so you can see the lines running out, if you think you might be doing more and more of the towing thing maybe a good winter project?! Helps for wakeboarding too as the line is higher. The main thing is to use floating line then you should not have a problem. Cast the lines away from the boat after the ringo is in the water [and connected obviously!], pull away slowly until the slack is gone and then go...once you slow down after a ride the ringos can either be hauled back towards the boat by hand after they finish drifting towards it or the tow lines are long enough anyway to turn and manoeuvre back to them without reverse which is obviously safer too. Gone and tempted fate now but no prop wraps so far...!
Old 21 August 2011, 16:11   #6

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Check THIS out, protects the engine, tows a ringo etc and keeps the line away from the prop
Old 21 August 2011, 17:36   #7

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower View Post
Check THIS out, protects the engine, tows a ringo etc and keeps the line away from the prop
That's neat

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote