Old 11 December 2009, 16:56   #1

Town: Cherbourg
Length: no boat
Ribcraft pro 6,80 and 7,80

New member on this forum and new too about ribs, after having a look on many manufacturers and many ribs, I think I'll choice an English rib and among all the factories a Ribcraft one
My interests : cruising 70% - fishing 30%
My area : west Cotentin in France and Channel Islands
Sea conditions : often rough
So I want a strong rib, speedy but not too sporty. ( a little less sporty than Solent ribs for example)
And a boat very good in inhospitable sea conditions
I must go and visit the Ribcraft factory next january, do a try and buy either a 6,80 or a 7,80
Before this visit, I'like to know what do you think about Ribcraft and their boats ( + and - )
(in France the opinion is very good !!!)
Is there a great difference between the 2 boats in the way it performs, speed, performance in the waves ( of course with the best engine power for each hull ) ....etc,etc.
I've already talked to the Ribcraft's manager but I'd like to get owner's opinions or people's who know very well these 2 ribs
Thanks for your answers
Old 11 December 2009, 17:06   #2

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi
as a Ribcraft owner I can say nothing but praise for both the boat and the company. The boat is excellent and performs well in the West of Scotland where I do my boating and as you know it can be pretty rough up here.No matter the sea I have complete confidence in the boats capabilities in all seas.
I think your intention to visit the factory is a good idea and you can discuss with them your requirements and you can build the boat to meet all your needs both personally and for the sea conditions you will face.
Good luck.

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2009, 17:24   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
http://www.portishead-lifeboat.org.u....aspx?RecID=16

I'd have a chat with these people and ask what happened to their ribcraft. It'l put you in the driving seat whilst negotiating.

All in all they are good boatsbbut make sure they don't any of these in the construction. http://sites.stocksphere.com/technif...=6&501=1&002=1

They have a loyal customer base and they keep there looks over time. for what you are after I;d also have a chat with Andre on this forum or pressman who makes very nice semi commercial ribs
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2009, 17:46   #4

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Speak to Andre and have a look at his ribs www.parkerribs.com
Also a nice guy to deal with and a active forum member.
Tim
Old 11 December 2009, 17:47   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I'm sure you have already searched the forums so will see that the vast majority of people have nothing but praise for Ribcraft. However as Stu says you won't help your negotiating position if you are dead set on a Ribcraft (they do read these forums) so I would want at least one serious alternative - that I would be prepared to walk away and use if the prices weren't right, the lead times were stupid, the staff weren't as helpful as I expected, or anything else made me feel uncomfortable about the deal.

Whilst Ribcraft undoubtedly have the reputation to get them on most people's short list (funds permitting) there are others with comparable reputations for build quality and rough water handling.

As for your question which is better the 7.8 or 6.8 in rough water (with the right engine) - I think a 7.8 is almost always going to be better (regardless of brand), if you can justify the extra purchase and running costs. The 6.8 may well be perfectly capable though. The trickier question would be if you can afford a Ribcraft 6.8 OR a 7.8 from some other brand...
Old 11 December 2009, 19:45   #6

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Hi Hervé, it's possible that Freeman and myself will be going over to the ribcraft factory in january. We were planning on trying a 7.8 with Ullman seats. We could go together if you like. Freeman already owns one.
Old 13 December 2009, 09:17   #7

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Bonjour cher Herve,
I have a Ribcraft 6.8 with an ETec 225; it was built in May last year. I haven't had any problems with either the boat or the engine. The boat is very well designed and seaworthy whilst the engine is very reliable and fast, if a bit thirsty on fuel. I have a full Raymarine E80 navigation suite that I'm not so impressed with. It's ok but I wish I had bought Furuno equipment as their new radars look amazing!

With regard to my dealings with Ribcraft, I felt my emails could have been answered a bit quicker than they were but having said that on the two occasions I visited the factory I was made to feel welcome and Dorian Martin who is the works manager was especially helpful. I didn't feel I was rushed into any decisions and Ribcraft were more than willing to help with one or two bespoke items for the boat. At one stage there was a mix-up with the colour choice for the tubes but despite the wrong ones already being cut, Dorian had new ones made there and then. It's things like this that made an impression on me such that I would certainly consider Ribcraft for my next RIB.

I think the bottom line is that Ribcraft boats are first class, well built and feel very safe. I think the 6.8 is an excellent mid range RIB. Obviously the 7.8 will be slightly better if you can afford it but you certainly won't be disappointed with the 6.8. I live in Jersey by the way and you're more than welcome to come over and take my boat for a sea trial if you like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	48073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat 2.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	48074  
Old 13 December 2009, 10:43   #8

Town: birmingham
Boat name: dawnraid
Make: ribcraft
Engine: ob 200hp
rib craft

we have a 12 year old 6.4 which has bean re engined to a 200 optimax from a 200 carb
we have had 60mph on a flat sea befor it broke away.
i would say that with the sea size realy matters i would go for the 7.8 with a 200 +
way up the weight factor of a 4 stroke but i must admit the oil factor for the opti is a pain
talking about pain the mormal pod seats are a waist of time in a rough sea the standing can be tiring so go for the ullman type seats but look at other manufactors . make sure you have enough room for all you electronics on the consull mine is full and neads re building
bear with me for this statment but the correct fitting cover will save a lot of damage from the elements over the years
Old 14 December 2009, 09:53   #9

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Scot Seats
Make: Revenger
Engine: Mariner 150 Optimax
Hi,
We manufacture the new Scot Seat KPM Shock Mitigation Seat if you email me jonathan@scotseats.co.uk i will send you more details. If you are going to visit ribcraft you will be able to see a couple of our seats down there.

Regards

Jonathan

www.scotboatseats.co.uk
follow us on www.twitter.com/scotseatsmarine
ScotSeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 12:20   #10

Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Reference this, I was sat in the lock house (which is a restaurant over looking a section of the outer harbour) and I watched the laden Ribcraft Lifeboat hit the concrete wall head on at an excessive speed and pace much to the amusment of one of the trainees who got launched to another part of the Rib!!
After that fiasco it headed in a full trim down attitude with somebody sat in the front straight through a shit load of heavy floating debris!!
As i continued watching i saw the port engine twist as i rode over the Debis.

Im 99.9% certain that Ribcraft replaced the previous tubes completely FOC after 8-10 years of abuse which i believe is a real credit to the company.
Old 17 December 2009, 14:56   #11

Make: ribcraft 7.85
Engine: 250 yam
was at the factory this week myself as lookin for something along those lines too, great to meet the guys there and see how there built, 7.8 is the way to go, very little differents in price for the performence, but go check it out for yourself, all part of the fun