Old 30 November 2022, 11:54   #1

Town: Cape Coral
Make: walker bqy
Length: 7m +
Engine: 115 yamaha vmax
Rib Repair on my Walker Bay

I have a 2017 Walker Bay 17' and one of the patches came loose this weekend. I've included pictures.

What is the best way to go about repairing this. I assume I'll clean it up and glue it back up. I've seen videos on youtube but they deal with repairing cuts and holes. I just want to glue this back up.

any help and guidance would be immensely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ps: the duct tape was just to keep it from flapping around on the way home from the ramp.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rib1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	141902   Click image for larger version

Name:	rib2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	141903   Click image for larger version

Name:	rib3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	141904  
Old 30 November 2022, 15:20   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Welcome to RIB.net

Use a heat gun to finish removing the patch, then again use heat and a scraper to remove that goop around the patch. From there it can be chemically cleaned with Acetone and a loose weave course scuff pad like brown or some greys to see how much glue comes off. If not most of the glue a sander used VERY carefully will finish removal. From there it is a matter of locating the hole and deciding if the first patch applied was proper or if a different style of patch would be better. NRS has all necessary materials for the repair as I am sure many places in La Florida do. I've been using Stabond glue with good success for a long time. It must be a two part glue and temperature and humidity are very important. Less than 50% humidity, and over 70*. Instructions for gluing are available here. https://www.nrs.com/learn/stabond-adhesive-instructions

Where is the hole located exactly? Photo?
How large is the hole?
How close is the hole to the seam?
The black on the boat is that patch material or did the patch remove the top layer of the boat fabric?
Old 30 November 2022, 15:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Welcome to RIB.net

Use a heat gun to finish removing the patch, then again use heat and a scraper to remove that goop around the patch. From there it can be chemically cleaned with Acetone and a loose weave course scuff pad like brown or some greys to see how much glue comes off. If not most of the glue a sander used VERY carefully will finish removal. From there it is a matter of locating the hole and deciding if the first patch applied was proper or if a different style of patch would be better. NRS has all necessary materials for the repair as I am sure many places in La Florida do. I've been using Stabond glue with good success for a long time. It must be a two part glue and temperature and humidity are very important. Less than 50% humidity, and over 70*. Instructions for gluing are available here. https://www.nrs.com/learn/stabond-adhesive-instructions

Where is the hole located exactly? Photo?
How large is the hole?
How close is the hole to the seam?
The black on the boat is that patch material or did the patch remove the top layer of the boat fabric?
The hole is a small break in the seam about 3" long
The hole is the break in the seam.
The black was just duct tape I applied after I pulled it out of the water so it would not flap on the way home from the ramp.

ps there's a thin layers of white tape over the entire patch area that's starting to peel around the edges. Is that white thin tape available some place?

thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rib4.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	141905   Click image for larger version

Name:	rib5.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	141906  
Old 30 November 2022, 17:54   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
If it is the seam that is leaking you didn't need a patch, the seam needs to be opened up and properly reglued. That will require first removing the approximately 2 1/4" strip of fabric to gain access to the lower seam.

It does appear that the patch ripped off some of the fabric from the boat. A patch over that would be good.

I do not believe that is "thin white tape" but a liquid paint that someone put on to try to seal the edges. Remove it and don't use that stuff again. A heat gun is your friend, just know the heat gun must be moved continually so you don't overheat an area. Touching it with your fingers as you work should leave a very hot feeling without producing smoke. Slowly bringing the material up to temp by constantly moving the heat will keep from destroying the fabric.
Old 30 November 2022, 17:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
If it is the seam that is leaking you didn't need a patch, the seam needs to be opened up and properly reglued. That will require first removing the approximately 2 1/4" strip of fabric to gain access to the lower seam.

It does appear that the patch ripped off some of the fabric from the boat. A patch over that would be good.

I do not believe that is "thin white tape" but a liquid paint that someone put on to try to seal the edges. Remove it and don't use that stuff again. A heat gun is your friend, just know the heat gun must be moved continually so you don't overheat an area. Touching it with your fingers as you work should leave a very hot feeling without producing smoke. Slowly bringing the material up to temp by constantly moving the heat will keep from destroying the fabric.
thank you so much!!!
Old 01 December 2022, 09:02   #6

It dawned on me last night what the white paint is covering the area - it's Flex Seal

Tags
repair, rib