Old 30 July 2001, 06:38   #1

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
Rib Raid 2001

The 2001 Donaghadee to Portpatrick took place successfully yesterday 29th July in beautiful conditions. Bangor Challenger joined the Spirit of Cardiff and around 30 other boats for the off at midday from Donaghadee, N.I. to Portpatrick, Scotland. More comments from all involved please.
Old 30 July 2001, 23:22   #2

Town: NORTHERN IRELAND
Red Rubber joined in the event too. It was sponsored by Outboard Services and was in aid of Make A Wish Foundation. A cheque was presented by Margaret Craig, Mayor of Ards Borough Council at the pre-start briefing. 50+ boats were at the 12 o'clock start when the Donaghadee Lifeboat fired the maroon for the start. We all arrived safely into Portpatrick by 1pm and immendiatley went to the Harbour House for refreshments......
A great day out for all! Looking forward to next year.

[This message has been edited by CHRISMO2 (edited 30 July 2001).]
Old 30 July 2001, 23:45   #3
Hairdresser

Town: Peel
Boat name: Jane L
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
MMSI: 235077935
Alan,

Good company, good craioc, and good fun - another Giovannoli production led (I hesitate to use the word 'organised') in his inimitable style.

I have attended all three events, and it was good to see more boats taking part this year. We had five boats from the Isle of Man making a weekend of it, and as far as I know all had a great time although the state of the Copelands Hotel did attract some comment!

I remember seeing your boat in both Donaghadee and Portpatrick, but not on the crossing. Is there any truth in the rumour that you put it on a trailer and caught the Stranraer ferry ?..........

We left Portpatrick just before 4pm and were back in Peel at 5.30, the trip being a little uncomfortable all the way with a strengthening wind from the south west trying to push the tide back.

All in all, a great day out and I look forward to next year. Who knows, we may even get T shirts !!

Are you involved in the Irish Sea Challenge later this week ?

Allen