Old 25 May 2009, 14:05   #1

Town: DeTour Village, MI
Boat name: Snow Goose
Make: Achilles
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Send a message via Yahoo to The Light Keeper
Repair Help Needed

Anyone have any suggestions on the best ways to go about repairing seams? I have a 1990 Achilles that has a few places on it where the seams that run the length of the boat are popping up. Was thinking about using a Hypalon glue to just glue them back down, but being new to the repair business on inflatables, I am looking for some expert advice.
Old 25 May 2009, 18:38   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
As I recall, the seams on Achilles boats are flat seams that are taped (at least on the outside. Don't know about the inside.) If so, there should be a one inch or so wide strip of hypalon over the exposed edge of the seam.

If it's holding air, then you'd need to reglue the tape. Might be easier to simply cut away the loose sections, clean up the base, and glue a new section down. The tape, as far as I know, simply makes it less likely that the primary joint fails due to exposure to weather, abrasion/snagging, etc.

If it's not taped, then it's the primary air holding seal, and should be done by someone who is familiar with what they're doing.

jky
Old 27 May 2009, 02:07   #3

Pictures of Problem

Here are some pictures of the problem. I think I incorrectly said seams, when what I am having problems with is the fender rib that runs from stem to stern on each side of the boat. It is pulling up, all the seams after inspection seem in good condition.

Jyasaki, would you recommend just re-gluing these per adhesive company recommendations?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0315 Achilles 14' RIB.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	42776   Click image for larger version

Name:	0320 Fender Rib.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	42777   Click image for larger version

Name:	0321 Fender Rib.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	42778  
Old 27 May 2009, 15:19   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Rubbing strake.

Pull up as far as possible, sand off old glue and a little bit of the base material, solvent wipe surfaces, and glue down. Hypalon glue would be preferred, but any kind of solvent based contact adhesive will do. The strake is not structural, and does not hold air, so you just need to tack it back in place. Piece of cake.

jky

P.S.: Nice area you're in.
Old 27 May 2009, 18:06   #5

Town: Negaunee, Michigan
Make: Avon SR6
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Evinrude
So, have ya taken it out yet?

I am STILL working on the new one. Motor issues are now resolved. Steering and Throtle controls going in this weekend!

I miss that little boat. Dragging that all over was a breeze compared to lugging around a 6m.

Jeff
Old 28 May 2009, 01:31   #6

Thanks Jyasaki

Great, that is what I had hoped. I will do as instructed and get the strake glued down. Thank you so much for you help. And yes, I love the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, great place to grow up and live although I am currently located out of the lower peninsula.

Jeff, we have not gotten it out yet. I just got home this past weekend and it was my folks 44th Wedding Anniversary, so did not have much time. We got the seat pulled out and are having it re-upholstered (should be done next week). Also we are going to down size the gas tank to increase the usable room behind the seat. In addition we are going to add a ship to shore radio/antenna and a fold down seat in the front. Just need to get those stakes glued down and give it a good scrubbing and we will be ready to go when I get back up in a few weeks. Can't wait.

Had a ball last summer on the 4m Quicksilver I bought last year, I fixed it up nice and had it just the way I wanted it, now looks like I am going to have to sell her, but am excited to try the new one out. She looks like she will fly through the water.

Hope you get yours running soon and have it out on the water as well. I will keep you posted.

Kevin
Old 20 July 2010, 20:27   #7

Jeff - Final Got it Out

Jeff - Unfortunately we never got the boat out last year. Just put her in storage. But this past spring we cleaned her up, sent her over to have the motor tuned up, added a radio, seat up front, reupholstered the captains seat, put in a smaller 9 gallon tank to fit under the captains chair, and have took her out multiple times fishing, rock hunting, and just sight seeing. WOW, she hauls but, sucks up the gas a bit more, but that is the trade off for a speed demon.

She is being well taken care of and we love her. Still trying to sell my 14' Quicksilver with 25hp Mercury Motor, so if you know anyone looking send them my way.

I will take some pictures of her on my trip up in August and get them posted on here.