Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 31 March 2015, 22:36   #1

Town: Renfrew
Boat name: Urchin V
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Mercury 4 stroke
Redbay Console/jockeys too tall for some??

I'm looking for a newish 6.5m RiB and Redbay caught my eye (again!).
The problem is the only time I had a go on one (a 2007 model) I found the jockeys that are attached to the console way too high for my liking. Never mind the biker getting on and off approach!

Almost all the secondhand 650s on the Redbay webpage seem to have the console/jockey fitted. Is it just me (I'm 5ft 10) or are all you guys 6ft + or wearing platforms or something?

A
Old 01 April 2015, 00:03   #2

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
I think it's a matter of preference tbh. I'm only a couple of inches taller and I found the height of the Redbay jockeys particularly to my liking. The diff between standing up and sitting down is minimal meaning that transitioning between the two is a simple matter of straightening the legs a little. The practical upshot for me was that you don't have to choose whether you are standing or sitting so much as just extend the legs a little for the larger waves.

On the Ribcraft we tried I found that sitting down on the jockey restricted my view too much behind the console. Of course you'd likely be glad of the shelter battling upwind in a F6! You pays yer money and you takes yer choice I think.
Old 01 April 2015, 06:48   #3

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
None of my family have ever complained
I am 6'4" jonny 6'1" wife 5'8" daughter similar never had problem we feel very safe and like Dan said easy transition from sitting to standing.
Old 01 April 2015, 07:49   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLANDRIBBER View Post
The problem is the only time I had a go on one (a 2007 model) I found the jockeys that are attached to the console way too high for my liking. Never mind the biker getting on and off approach!

Almost all the secondhand 650s on the Redbay webpage seem to have the console/jockey fitted. Is it just me (I'm 5ft 10) or are all you guys 6ft + or wearing platforms or something?

A
i am the same height as you and have the same opinion love the look of the redbay set up but wouldn't want to cock the leg over the seat. when i changed to coastal pro seats from the original jockeys [which i had made specially for me in terms of height and comfort ] i had to have special aluminium bases made to fit me & the wife resulting in total control & comfort but as i get older seat position & being able to move around the boat easy are more important OMO
Old 01 April 2015, 08:02   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLANDRIBBER View Post

A

Consoles/ seating are all very personal, not least because we're all different sizes, & an inch here & there makes a big difference
I have the Ribcraft Pacific console, this is a big old beast & you have to stand to get a clear view over the top. To counter that, it offers great protection when it gets snotty & the shelter from the wind on long passages is a godsend. As in all things boaty, it's a compromise.

Ps, if you're looking for a well founded boat in the 6-7m class......

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65097

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
redbay