Old 25 March 2012, 22:37   #1

Town: Manchester
Make: Avon S250
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu 9.8
Rauma Finland

Hi All

It looks like I will be spending some time in Finland due to work. The place I wiill live is Rauma. Looks like a great place for boating in the summer season. Are there any members here with experience of boating in Finland ? or even better a local who could get me on the water?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards

Mike
Old 26 March 2012, 15:51   #2

Length: 4m +
Hey, I'm currently out in Helsinki on a contract, had a few sailing boats and a Zodiac out here and been around a bit. Drop me a mail if you have any questions, I'll do my best to help or at least point you in the right direction.
Old 31 March 2012, 07:02   #3

Cheers just arrived so will drop you a line when I have got my apartment etc sorted

Regards

Mike
Old 03 April 2012, 18:37   #4

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Don't have experience of boating in Rauma, but done a bit of it on the south coast.

Generally speaking fairways are well marked and maintained. Outside fairways You kind of move on Your own risk. Most of the myriads of rocks and stones are marked on sea charts/plotter charts, but not all, and on shallow areas irrelevant for commercial shipping data might be less accurate. So better take it carefully when exploring waters outside fairways.

Baltic sea is not at its best these days, the water is not as clear as it used to be, so that does not help much. No tide, but wind/weather do affect the water level. On the good side, daylight period is very long at summertime, hardly ever need running lights. Another good thing is that except for restricted military and nature protection zones, you are pretty free to visit any island or beach, never mind the ownership of that land. Common sense is required, but in principle its ok to berth the boat on a private own island as long as not disturbingly close to a building.

You don't need to have any certificate to drive a normal leisure boat. But any boat(local) with a LOA more than 5.5 meter and or HP above 20,4 need to be registered. Insurance is not compulsory. So a SIB with a 20 hp does not need any documentation. Rauma is a tiny place so don't know if they have boat rental there. But i am sure some of Your local colleagues owns a boat and will take You out if they know you want too.

Good luck!
Old 03 April 2012, 19:05   #5

Cheers for that reply. I have had a walk around and the moorings are about 50 meters from my apartment unfortunately I don't overlook the water. Still it would be hard to launch as the water is frozen just now. Ironically it is not close to my work as we pump out hundreds of thousands of gallons of water used to cool the reactors.

I am driving my car out here in early may so I may buy a kayak as I can carry that down to the water

A couple of pictures from my phone. One shows how easy it is to fuel your boat in these parts.

Regards

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2533388788.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	66775   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3967358882.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	66776