RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I thought slippers were predominantly night time attire. I had no idea they could be used during the day Is that a different course
Ah, stupid phone touch screen with predictive test. Still, I believe slippers can be worn at any time of day. I've never met someone who need to go on a course to use them... but I dare say if the RYA/Training Schools thought they could squeeze another 90 quid out of us they would create something and tell us we did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Glatzel View Post
Bingosucks

Hi, either Powerboat Level 2 (2 days) or Dayskipper (4 days) would be suitable as a way to start with this boat. The vast majority of people though starting out with a vessel like this will undertake Level 2 for a variety of reasons:
Paul, Is there any difference between the "Motor Cruiser Helmsan's Course": Helmsman | Motor Cruising | Courses | Learning | Courses & Training | RYA and the Powerboat Level 2 course: Level 2 | Powerboat | Courses | Learning | Courses & Training | RYA
Old 09 September 2012, 12:37   #22

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
You would need a thin cigarette paper to separate them. One difference I believe is the motor cruiser course does not have planing content?
Old 09 September 2012, 13:17   #23

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs
You would need a thin cigarette paper to separate them. One difference I believe is the motor cruiser course does not have planing content?
There are some differences, and they mostly relate to the type of boat that the training is delivered on and for. For example, I wouldn't spend much time talking about launching and recovery if I was running a Helmsman course in a forty footer (!), but yes I would include planing content if it was a planing boat (probably stating the obvious, sorry). The powerboat course does not necessarily have a planing content. If the courses is undertaken in a displacement boat, the certificate would reflect that

I spend much more time talking about engines and routine maintenance on Helmsman courses than I would on a powerboat course (although if the powerboat course was on a small diesel engine cruiser then the content would be more like the Helmsman course in that respect)

And I would certainly spend more time talking about charts, tides, and so on during a powerboat course

Horses for course really. We try to make training relevant for the people being trained and the type of boats they want to use, and the content for RYA courses allows us some freedom to tailor them to suit
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote