Old 07 September 2012, 19:47   #1

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
qualifications

had a phone call off my sister in law who`s looking to buy a boat(well more a fecking yacht !)

i was wondering what sort of qualifications you would need for varying sizes of boat and engine ? .. i`m guessing pb2 might not make the grade

Regal Commodore 2665 for Sale - £32000, Located Cardiff this is the kind of thing she`s looking at
Old 07 September 2012, 20:09   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
PB2 "covers" this but it might be worth doing the course and then getting a tutor to come on for a day and do some boat handling skills in the monster.
Old 07 September 2012, 20:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
PB2 "covers" this but it might be worth doing the course and then getting a tutor to come on for a day and do some boat handling skills in the monster.
they make me sick,i took em out in my sib the other week and decided they liked it lol !

oh to have some dough .... still at least i should get my filthy mits on it haha
Old 07 September 2012, 20:26   #4

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
Day skipper
Old 07 September 2012, 22:27   #5

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
You dont need any qualifications at all until 80ft ish.

However its good advice above, go for a day skipper and if they are completley new to boating do it on their own boat.
Old 07 September 2012, 23:06   #6

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Qualifications? Here in the US people buy boats like that all the time. With no clue what they are doing, they slide them off the trailer, and tour around. Usually anchoring out, drinking heavily, then attempt to get them back on the trailer and home safely. Not that it is safe...just what stupid people do every day here.

The assumption is that Regal probably has a Duo-prop setup and should handle very well. It is a reasonable length boat, and not that big. The learning curve may be steep, without some initial guidance, and docking initiation.
Old 08 September 2012, 19:14   #7

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
For the Regal in the UK you don't need any qualifications.
Old 08 September 2012, 19:51   #8

thanks for the feedback, i`m gonna do pb2 and vhf for myself...it just seems like a whole chunk of boat !

the boat they wanted was sold , though i did reccommend they go with something a bit more ahem `robust` lol

he was a bit p*ssed off because he needed to buy a 7.5 tonner to tow it( yep haulage contractor)

i`m sure they`ll still be looking as they`ve set their heart on it..but i think it`s a great idea to hire a skipper for the day,or even better organise the pb2 on board ? .though i couln`t afford to go halves lol
Old 08 September 2012, 21:33   #9

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingosucks View Post
thanks for the feedback, i`m gonna do pb2 and vhf for myself...it just seems like a whole chunk of boat !

the boat they wanted was sold , though i did reccommend they go with something a bit more ahem `robust` lol

he was a bit p*ssed off because he needed to buy a 7.5 tonner to tow it( yep haulage contractor)

i`m sure they`ll still be looking as they`ve set their heart on it..but i think it`s a great idea to hire a skipper for the day,or even better organise the pb2 on board ? .though i couln`t afford to go halves lol

You can just about tow it behind a big 4x4 and stay legal. I know where there is a really nice 2004 Rinker 250 with the much nicer V8 and its 7k cheaper than the Regal if he's interested.
Old 08 September 2012, 21:36   #10

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
If the boat is bought organise an "own boat tuition" PB 2 course with yourself, sister in law and a n other with a reputable commercial RTC and ensure that you get an Advanced Powerboat Instructor with experience of sports cruisers - money very well spent
Old 08 September 2012, 21:39   #11

Length: 3m +
day skipper is a qualification not someone you hire for a day ;-)

It qualifies you to sail during day time.
Old 08 September 2012, 21:47   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
It qualifies you to sail during day time.
Which is kinda why I suggested the PB2 - the guy is looking at a motor boat...

I thought Day Skipper was aimed at WAFIs? No?
Old 08 September 2012, 22:05   #13

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
As said Poerboat 2 is a by far the most appropriate practical introductory course.

Own boat tuition is a sensible, and if you shop around cost effective, way to do it.
Old 08 September 2012, 22:11   #14

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:

RYA Day Skipper is broken up into two elements - Shorebased which entails 40 hrs theory plus two written exams followed by - Practical which is a minimum of 4 days on the water

The Day Skipper theory is common to both Sail and Motor and you can then choose between a RYA Day Skipper practical motor course or a RYA Day Skipper practical sail course.
Old 08 September 2012, 22:20   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
The Day Skipper theory is common to both Sail and Motor and you can then choose between a RYA Day Skipper practical motor course or a RYA Day Skipper practical sail course.
OK, it was the different practical bits that foxed me. It seems very, um, extensive, time wise

Yup, I'm still sticking with my first answer
Old 08 September 2012, 22:22   #16

Quote:
Yeh I wasn't commenting on the suitability of the day skipper course for the boat, but several previous posters simply put Day Skipper and then bingosucks wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingosucks View Post
..but i think it`s a great idea to hire a skipper for the day,or even better organise the pb2 on board ?
And I thought he's mis-understood the Day Skipper reference.

Quote:
Well it kind of is. But its a two part course - theory based course (AFAIK you never go on the water). Its really about navigation and that kind of stuff what that GPS does etc. I guess the majority of the theory doesn't matter if you are a gin palace or a WAFI you still touch the bottom if there isn't enough water, you still make a strange banging noise if you try and cross a shipping channel directly in front of a red funnel ferry.

Then the Day Skipper Practical which is not for WAFIs (WAFIs do competent crew instead I think). The RYA Day Skipper Practical is specifically for motor cruisers... Day Skipper | Motor Cruising | Courses | Learning | Courses & Training | RYA
4 days!
So actually it may be more appropriate than PB2.
Old 08 September 2012, 22:39   #17

tbf all i want is pb2 and vhf...... but i started with a 2hp and rubberduck so day skipper looks appealing,but sadly a lot more expensive than pb2...but would agree for a beast like this neccessary

if he does splash the cash, at least i know he can legally take it out , i guess it depends on it`s use, i`m guessing he`s gonna moor it up in combe martin where he has a lodge and they can play sailers lol

not sure how serious he is but he did just buy a spanking new range rover for 75k

lmfao amazing how families differ we scrimp and save just for our hol in the sun... my goal is to keep sibbing ,and maybe one day join the big boys ;-)
Old 09 September 2012, 07:57   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Then the Day Skipper Practical which is not for WAFIs (WAFIs do competent crew instead I think). The RYA Day Skipper Practical is specifically for motor cruisers... Day Skipper | Motor Cruising | Courses | Learning | Courses & Training | RYA
4 days!
So actually it may be more appropriate than PB2.
NO dayskipper and competent crew are not the equivalent for sack and powerbaot (the clue is in the name - one is for skipping and one is for crewing!). There is a wafi dayslipper course. There is also a 2 day helmsman course for motor cruisers.

http://www.rya.org.uk/coursestrainin...singintro.aspx
Old 09 September 2012, 09:23   #19

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I thought slippers were predominantly night time attire. I had no idea they could be used during the day Is that a different course
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2012, 10:49   #20

Town: Poole
Bingosucks

Hi, either Powerboat Level 2 (2 days) or Dayskipper (4 days) would be suitable as a way to start with this boat. The vast majority of people though starting out with a vessel like this will undertake Level 2 for a variety of reasons:

• Level 2 assumes no experience whereas Dayskipper has some (fairly limited) entry requirements.
• Level 2 on a boat like that Regal will give them the skills to take the vessel from the marina/slipway to a beach (ie pretty close to home) whereas Dayskipper aims to give them the skill set to travel further afield. Most people stay (sensibly) close to home when starting out so Level 2 suffices.
• Two days training costs less than four days! In fact by starting with Level 2 allows them to then go out and practice the skills. If they want to travel further afield subsequently doing the Intermediate course (2 days) addresses this need. (In summary Level 2 (2 days) + Intermediate (2 days) = Dayskipper (4 days) (only minor difference is a small night exercise)

To achieve the best return on the investment in training:

1. Undertake the course on that boat – ‘Own boat training’. You will pay a price for training which is the same whether one or three people (the maximum) attend so it will work out cost effective to have the three of you on board.
2. Ensure that if the intent is to launch and recover that this is covered practically on the course as if not done right has the potential to be very dangerous
3. Ensure that the instructor has plenty of experience on this type of vessel – what we would refer to generically as ‘4 berth family cruisers’. A boat like the Regal you link to can be a real handful in any wind and whilst the core principals of boat handling are the same whether you have a 5m RIB or a 40ft cruiser it is really important to get to grips with how to deal with the way the wind will blow it around. The instructor doesn’t need to be an Advanced Instructor but in all probability would be so if they have wide ranging experience
4. Also book the VHF course as this is kit they should have on board.
5. In terms of the school you choose judge them carefully and assess their experience. Whilst I accept the need in today’s market to get a good deal bear in mind there is far more to this than price – a well run course by a very good school with an instructor who understands this sort of craft is key versus saving a few pounds. Invariably you get what you pay for in life.
By all means post any specifc/additional questions

If they choose to go the Regal route they will do well as they are a very good make

Regards, Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote