Old 21 May 2018, 08:55   #1

Town: ipswich
Boat name: Red Line
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp tohatsu
Poole

Hi guys,

So it turns out the missus has book us a 4 days away in Poole this coming weekend. God I bet it’s going to be busy!

We have trailer storage where we are staying but I’m not sure the best place to launch ?

Could anyone give us any good slipway names ? I’ve checked out baiters already but that seems a bit shallow I don’t fancy dipping the car that deep to launch if I’m honest. I’ve managed to wriggle a berth for a few days so should only be the one launch and retrieve a few days later.

Also if anyone has some great places we can go please feel free to mention it

I look forward to the responses.

Happy Ribbing,
O
Old 21 May 2018, 09:26   #2

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Baiter is ok for launching. The slipway is such a shallow gradient you can safely unhitch the trailer push the trailer by hand, launch the boat (helps at this stage if your handbrake works properly or you you have chocks for the wheels), pull the trailer back to the car by hand.

Tides this weekend are ok - low tide 1448 sat and 1537 sun (please double check for your own safety) and only 0.7m. Should be able to launch at this. Don't be scared to push your trailer over the end of the slipway if needed - there's only a shallow step and once the boat is off its easy to pull the trailer back over the step by hand (I've even done this with twin axle trailers - the tyres give a lot of buoyancy which helps).

Failing that where are you leaving the rib - some of the marina's have their own slipways and are able to offer car and trailer parking as part of the deal
Old 21 May 2018, 09:37   #3

Ok cool thanks for the helpful info! That’s great to know.

The rib is being put on a mooring at the quay boat haven. But when I asked they said they didn’t have a slipway. They also suggested Baiter. So I guess it will be worth a go.
Old 21 May 2018, 09:37   #4

Length: 7m +
Launch sites at Baiter, Cobbs Quay Marina, Rockley Boat Park.

Places to go;

Poole Harbour
1. Under the two bridges to check out the RNLI headquarters.
2. Through the back end of the harbour and up the river to wareham for fish and chips or pub lunch, you can moor up by the quay at wareham.
3. Round the small channel around brownsea island, the other side is really very beautiful around the channel (quiet zone applies and less than 6 knots)

Outside the harbour.
1. East - Along coast to bournemouth,boscombe piers
2. East - Further along coast passed Hurst Castle to solent, access to yarmouth, lymington, cowes, southampton, or even beaulie river.
3. West - Studland beach and bay, old harry rocks, swanage (water taxi exists), hug cliff along jurrassic coast, durlston castle/cliffs and sea birds, along jurrassic bat cave, keyhole cave, dancing ledge, seacombe and whinspit, st aldhems head, chapmans pool (great place and good snorkling), further along, warbarrow bay, lulworth cover, durdle door, weymouth)

enjoy
Old 21 May 2018, 09:42   #5

Thanks BTB much appreciated - Cobbs Quay look a bit more suitable for us!

Wow there’s a lot of places to visit! I look forward to going to some of these. Fingers crossed for the weather.
Old 21 May 2018, 12:33   #6

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
MDL Cobbs Quay has good facilities, a wide slip suitable for their travel hoist, plenty of parking, etc. No idea how much they charge for a one off use of their slip, but should definitely be able to launch there.

Other people have covered the same main things I'd visit/do in the area. Just remember there's a 10kn limit in the harbour (6kn in certain places), and it can get very shallow if you start to explore!

Enjoy - I'm sadly away next weekend, otherwise I'd be out too!
Old 21 May 2018, 21:53   #7

Town: Poole
Boat name: Angellina 2
Make: Bombard
Engine: Outboard petrol
Go to red caravan park to launch at wearham