Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 03 July 2021, 08:13   #1

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Plans for 5m Tornado, what would you do?

Hope you are all having a great season out on the water......me....I'm grounded.
Having purchased a 5m Tornado back in late October 2020 I was a little unsure of what I was going to do with it.
I did my homework before I purchased the boat and it was priced (off season) at such a point that I felt I could recover the cost by parting it out....engine trailer control's etc......so I took a punt despite knowing the front chamber needed a bow seem repair.
The problem is I have grown fond of the old girl. The hull feels so well built...not a toy rib in anyway shape or form.
The boat is in storage and because of lockdowns I haven't had too much time to spend on her. I have started to set money aside for new tubes/sponsons, having spoken to a Chap called James from XS Ribs,who quoted me around £3400 plus vat.
I have tested the engine....Mariner 75hp two stroke 3 pot and compression test was all ok. I had a spark so I fired her up and it run (carbs will need cleaning though) it was even pumping water on the muffs. Tilt and trim work great there is next to zero rust on the outboard not even around the steering tube. All the controls work well and the steering is like butter. I have run through the electrical system and that seems fine too. The trailer for the biggest part (Hallmark Rollercoaster) is fine too with the axle being a bit rusty and the rear cross member rusty.
[My Plan]
Polish the Hull paint the deck and have new tubes put on. Service the outboard with new water pump and prop shaft bearings and seals (prevention not cure) and fit new seals to trim pump (just starting to weep) fit flexiteek to the deck, wrap console in black vinyl and fit inspection hatch to the front of console. Build rear passenger seat (ply and glass fibre) complete with backrest that will convert into bathing area. Make storage locker (Glass and ply) for anchor to fit neatly into bow. Have engineers make new axle and crossmember and get local company to galvanise. Replace all box section clamps and bolts using stainless steel fixings, fit new hubs...recondition wheels and fit new mudguards.
Do my RYH powerboat level 2 and get vhf license
Start my adventure...

I have starting collecting bits n bobs like Garmin plotter/fishfinder automatic life jackets etc but do need vhf fixed and handheld and a PLB.

Is all of the above worth it being an old rib?

Other options would be to sell off my Tornado for parts re-invest in another second hand rib say around £5-7k.
But from what i see about for that kind of money you're not guaranteed not to require new tubes in the near future either.
The third option would to buy brand new....but I can't afford to do that ( unless I financed a package deal) and I guess for a 5m rib you will have to spend around £20 -£25k and I'm sorry but i could never justify that as a none essential purchase.
I know I have gone on a bit but I would love to hear your opinions...I'm genuinely open to ideas.
And to finish what fabric PU (polyurethane) as standard on Tornado/xs ribs or Hypalon (orca) since dupont stopped manufacturing it.

You either have to be Rich or Resourceful.....and I ain't Rich.
Cheers Folks...all the best to you.
Old 03 July 2021, 09:08   #2

Length: 3m +
I would say keep it
..but that's mainly because I bought an absolute wreck of a Tornado 6.5 earlier this year so it would make feel better about my purchase
Old 03 July 2021, 09:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgc851 View Post
I would say keep it
..but that's mainly because I bought an absolute wreck of a Tornado 6.5 earlier this year so it would make feel better about my purchase
What are you doing with it?
Old 03 July 2021, 10:18   #4

i've made it seaworthy for now so i can get out over summer and then rip it to bits at the end of the year if time allows. i'll do a project thread on it when i get started.

Back to your quandary, like you say they are a solid, well built boat and if you are intending to keep it for a few years then stick to the plan and have some fun with it.
Have you had it in the water yet? if not why don't you patch the bow and get it out for a play before we head into the deep dark winter
Old 03 July 2021, 15:12   #5

Town: Poole
Boat name: ORCA III
Make: XS500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 60hp
Get it re-tubed during winter, that seems a good price from XS.
Old 03 July 2021, 16:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgc851 View Post
i've made it seaworthy for now so i can get out over summer and then rip it to bits at the end of the year if time allows. i'll do a project thread on it when i get started.

Back to your quandary, like you say they are a solid, well built boat and if you are intending to keep it for a few years then stick to the plan and have some fun with it.
Have you had it in the water yet? if not why don't you patch the bow and get it out for a play before we head into the deep dark winter
No it's not been in the water yet and I have been trying very hard to fix the bow seem but it's super difficult as the 4" strip that joins the two halves of the bow tube bends in all directions....i ain't giving up yet though.
Old 03 July 2021, 16:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickter View Post
Get it re-tubed during winter, that seems a good price from XS.
I thought it was reasonable and all seems are welded so no more glue degradation. What are your thoughts on Polyurethane?
Old 04 July 2021, 05:52   #8

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
I personally have a 1998 5 mr tornado and love it, with its old smoky 2 s 60, it goes well and handles I think for such a small boat so well. My engine is a 60 so quite light, will be interesting to know what it’s like with a heaver motor. My tubes are fine as it’s been inside when not in use. It’s also on an un braked trailer, which definitely makes like easier. Those tubes though are apparently a pain to repair and we had lots of problems on our dive club boat before we had it re tubed a few years ago. You can get them repaired and xs would probably do that for you.

I think the old tornado boats are great and looked after will probably last me the rest of my life. I am seriously now thinking of replacing the engine for a new yam f70 as the 2 S is both loud and smoky but that’s a job for this winter. As some have said if you can get it out and enjoy

Dave
Old 04 July 2021, 08:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davej View Post
I personally have a 1998 5 mr tornado and love it, with its old smoky 2 s 60, it goes well and handles I think for such a small boat so well. My engine is a 60 so quite light, will be interesting to know what it’s like with a heaver motor. My tubes are fine as it’s been inside when not in use. It’s also on an un braked trailer, which definitely makes like easier. Those tubes though are apparently a pain to repair and we had lots of problems on our dive club boat before we had it re tubed a few years ago. You can get them repaired and xs would probably do that for you.

I think the old tornado boats are great and looked after will probably last me the rest of my life. I am seriously now thinking of replacing the engine for a new yam f70 as the 2 S is both loud and smoky but that’s a job for this winter. As some have said if you can get it out and enjoy

Dave
I did speak to XS ribs (thanks to someone on here pointing me in the right direction) and they were not interested in my kind of repair and it has to be said quite rightly too. Xs would want £500 to make it worth while and If one seem fails then it won't be long before your chasing the problem.
I think the critical point you made was that how the boat is stored ie yours is indoors. My rib was left out in the sun with no cover and as such the glue has failed. Port and starboard tubes are ok at the moment, they hold air but are quite faded on the tops. The seem I'm trying to repair and I have the technique down is the bow seem. If you look at yours you will see that the bow chamber is in two parts and are joined by a 4" strip of fabric.....it is that join I'm trying very hard to fix. I have had several go's now but because the fabric bends and curves in several directions then it is super difficult to get all joints together. Part of my problem is getting the tubes to hold a shape while i re-glue. You may laugh at this next bit but I have purchased 4 beach ball's from poundland and have stuffed 2 in each side so i have some sort of help keeping the shape.
So I have started to save for new sponsons and all fabric joins are welded nowadays so no more seem problem's.
Meanwhile i will keep trying to repair.....more of a skill test than anything at this point ( I don't like to be beat) .
Hope to see you out on the water one day....we could have a natter about diving......cut my teeth in the Cayman Islands when i lived there back in the 90's...all the best.
Old 04 July 2021, 08:28   #10

The seem from hell

This is the seem I'm trying to fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210501_172419.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	137944   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201018_172111.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	137945  
Old 04 July 2021, 09:11   #11

Oh wow
Old 04 July 2021, 09:24   #12

We bought our rib nearly a year ago , tubes look great, really like the bigger diameter very comfortable to sit on.
Old 04 July 2021, 15:44   #13

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I'd be tempted to keep it. With a retube it dramatically changes the boat and can take years off it, if you choose carefully. I know Tornado use PU, but if you opted for hypalon, then it's good for 20 years if it's garaged or covered.

A retube, then you can specify internal grab handles, oar holding points, rope lace cuff, wear patches, heavy duty rubbing strake. Some of the Orca fabric impression hypalon is very nice. My understanding is for something like that then it's around £1k a metre, so more expensive than you current quote.

The engine will last years too. Our friends used to run a Tornado 5.5m, and I'm sure it was either 90-115hp on the back? Very capable RIBs.

My advice is to do all the glass work now, and hull and deck refurb before getting the retube, given you're going to be flipping the boat.
Old 04 July 2021, 16:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I'd be tempted to keep it. With a retube it dramatically changes the boat and can take years off it, if you choose carefully. I know Tornado use PU, but if you opted for hypalon, then it's good for 20 years if it's garaged or covered.

A retube, then you can specify internal grab handles, oar holding points, rope lace cuff, wear patches, heavy duty rubbing strake. Some of the Orca fabric impression hypalon is very nice. My understanding is for something like that then it's around £1k a metre, so more expensive than you current quote.

The engine will last years too. Our friends used to run a Tornado 5.5m, and I'm sure it was either 90-115hp on the back? Very capable RIBs.

My advice is to do all the glass work now, and hull and deck refurb before getting the retube, given you're going to be flipping the boat.

The reason I was happy to go for the PU over the orca is that my understanding is that you can't weld hypalon seems and if I'm honest that appeals to me...I had a hypalon Zodiac sib and the when the glue started to let go then it was game over. Hypalon stands up to UV rays though and as I will store it undercover but outdoors then this appeals too....confused. com Xs will fit Orca on request and It costs about the same as PU because PU is more expensive on the roll but has a quicker less labour intensive build time.
Looking forward to the next 12 months this has been a dream for a very very long time.
Long live the Tornado 🌪
Old 04 July 2021, 17:32   #15

PU is harder wearing,and as your going to put a cover over rib it will be protected , there are loads of products out you can coat tubes with to protect from salt and uv.