Old 15 November 2006, 18:10   #221
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Well done Richard are you going to emulate the boys in Antigua doing round the island trips ?
I think we should rename this forum Nautinet!
Old 15 November 2006, 18:14   #222

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Custom & Excise

Hi All,

Andre,

Just watched the news report, perhaps that is why they were laying in waiting, they got bored tracking just "Yachties" across. I Look forward to reading the full report in Rib Int.

Richard, A tremdous inalgral trip,can't wait to get up close & personal soon

Well Done to all involved.
Old 15 November 2006, 18:39   #223

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Freudian slip there methinks? (Mental note to self or note to mental self! )
My little joke to myself Alan!! You're wide awake btw. Is it the middle of the night or next week over there?

OOOps ...back on task. Part 2 next!!

Old 15 November 2006, 18:42   #224

A Nauti Weekend In Calais

Part Two : ‘Waiter, waiter!!! There’s a Snail in My Soup!!!’

The successful completion of the first phase of the operation brought great relief ! and all of a sudden a fierce thirst came upon us all! Andre generously insisted on picking up the dinner tab. Nothing for it but to get in some nice beefy bottles of red and practice our food ordering. Mike, being a multi-cultured sort, went for the snail option while Richard chose the less threatening vegetable soup. The rest of us ‘rosbifs’ thought about the weather and went for steak.

There was a bit of a delay on Mike’s snail order and he queried this while urging the rest of us to tuck in. The waitress was very puzzled (while we wondered if perhaps the snails had escaped and were heading for Sangatte themselves that very minute). Richard was meanwhile finding his vegetable soup a little chewy…and it wasn’t until the real veggie soup was produced by another waitress that he realized he was actually polishing off Mike’s squishy little friends!!!! It needs to be recorded that at no stage did he declare ‘I’m a celebrity, get me outta here!!!’

Outside the hotel the trees were flattening in the wind as it howled up the marina. The intrepid team went back to check the RIB and double-checked that the lock gates were due to stay open the following day (Sunday) until 7.15 a.m. (6.15 GMT). Not great news. Waypoints & passage plan checked, we decided to meet in the foyer at 6.30 (French Time). However there was no retiring early as everyone got into full flow, swapping tales of maritime adventures.

All Saturday night the wind didn’t let up. The EU flag outside spent the night trying to break our window and by dawn, Skipper Richard took the decision to wait for the forecasted break. This was a difficult call as the lock wouldn’t open again until 3.00 (French time) and there was a relatively long passage ahead on a wintry evening. Once the decision was made there was then time to chill, have breakfast, load up and double-check the boat’s readiness for sea.

Indeed we managed lunch as well, this time in the more authentic surroundings of a French quayside café. Aging Youth got through to Mike to wish us all well. Action Man Simon told us of his plans to kayak to Ireland and recommended a trip to the Scillies as a particularly beautiful destination. Most of the discussion centred around the trip ahead however and we listed possible emergency ports if needed. The hope was to make it to Brighton at least before nightfall.

5) Nauti’s twin beauties!
6) There’s something cheerful about a yellow boat!
7) There she goes! Berthing at Calais.
8) Plenty of room in here for Sarah’s kit!

...to be continued....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	23262   Click image for larger version

Name:	air.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	23263   Click image for larger version

Name:	in air.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	23264   Click image for larger version

Name:	space.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	23265  
Old 15 November 2006, 19:10   #225

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
Yea...I guess so on all points...different country....mid-crossing pickup and all but with the cost of such an interception and the participants already shown to be solid citizens it still seems strange to me that's all that the data collected in one place is not available "on the radar" a short distance away.

Our "Genius" Homeland Security decided that in order for even a pleasure vessel to enter a US port..including St. Thomas and St. Croix and St. John in the US Virgin Islands from any Foreign port, they needed to fax or email the Coasties 24 hours in advance with a crew list etc. etc. etc. Most of the charter boats are located in Tortola in the Brit Virgins and the distance from St. John to Tortola is less than two miles at the shortest and there are literally thousands of pleasure craft darting around to all the smaller islands and beaches in both the US and British Virgins and where the hell do you locate a fax machine or email on most boats and you begin to get the point.

After a year of this non-enforcable nonsense they just relaxed the rules that you only need to show up with proper docs and clear in and out but it created havoc on the entire boating community until they did.

Same Genius decided that the ferry between St. Thomas and St. John needed better security so they erected chain link fence at both ports when next to the pier you can land anything on the beach unimpeded while ferry passangers are shaken down traveling from one destination in the US Territory to another in the US Territory. Osama has won......one could report.
Hi Tomas,

Firstly on the Customs people, I’ll reiterate what Andre said. Once they knew we weren’t desperate criminals, they were most courteous and friendly…. And that went for the Special Branch officers too! We were after all arriving in the dark, with a meeting RIB to guide us in, in winter! This was not the normal time for a jolly pleasure jaunt. From their point of view, there did seem to be something, ‘going on’. And there was….. We were bringing in a new boat. It just wasn’t illegal, that’s all and so I can fully understand their interest. The question is, what we learn for the future. Perhaps a courtesy call to Customs would be in order? At least that way we could perhaps reduce the cost to the taxpayer. Mind you – it was a good exercise for them wasn’t it!?

On whether they were tipped off by the French? NO! After we became on good speaking terms with the authorities, (right after I tongue-in-cheek apologized for not making their night more interesting and doing a runner), I did ask if the French had informed them. They said no, they just happened to pick us up on radar from their Cutter, (which is where the RIB came from). They then followed us down the coast with the road vehicles pushing hard to catch us. We just looked likely! OK, they could have just said that for ‘security reasons’ but the person I spoke to seemed very genuine.

And finally, on The USVI and the BVI. I did a trip to Tortola last year… and am hoping to get their again next year at the beginning of May, along with Ageing Youth. Fancy a beer in Pussers?

Mike C
Old 15 November 2006, 19:19   #226

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
And I'd just like to say that Nauti Buoy owes me one and a half of these!

By the way, Richard, did you get my PM and e-mail?

Mike
Attached Images

Old 15 November 2006, 19:31   #227
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
we were subject of a prank tip off

itt woz mi fult.

i rungid upp de cusstoms nobburs an towld dem dat ther woz sum irysh dessperardows wiv verardows ingayjin inn a bitt ov onist gunn runnin

az sewn az thay herd de missiz screachin worrabowtcheenoww, dat woz itt.

yew woz fukt

gArf
Old 15 November 2006, 19:46   #228

worraryalike :) :)

gArf you're in a class of your own!

Top Class.

K n P

Part 3 to follow tomorrow night Andre!
Old 15 November 2006, 19:51   #229

Town: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens View Post

Part 3 to follow tomorrow night Andre!
Kathleen, your PM box as usually is full. Your story is great and once finished I propose you forward it with photos to Hugo at Rib International . Your story contains a lot of humor and facts of such a crossing. RI for sure will publish it

I just can't wait for part 3
Old 15 November 2006, 21:44   #230
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
I propose you forward it with photos to Hugo at Rib International
considder itt dun mi sun

i av sennt yugo dis pikk ov a eest yewropiun wor lawd smuglin a bote innto ingland.

gArf
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	powlish wor lawd.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	23267  
Old 15 November 2006, 22:26   #231
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
So how much did all this cost then?! I've asked many time, but never got an answer!
Old 16 November 2006, 07:32   #232

Town: Gothenburg
Boat name: Diventure X
Make: Ribcraft 850 SC
Engine: Suzuki DF300
Send a message via Skype™ to mattiasb
Benchmark

Sounds like a cool setup! Here's a benchmark for you, engines a year old, not th esame high spec though.

http://www.blocket.se/vi/9888706.htm?ca=16_s, £ approx 72500 inlc tax, berth in Sweden.

Looking fwd to your pics!

All the best
Matt[

QUOTE=Nauti Buoy;163935] Well after much deliberation over which rib to buy, I have today placed an order with Andre for a Parker Baltic 900 with twin 275hp Verado's.

Set up will be 8 winged back jockeys behind the consul, front seat integrated into the consul, with huge raised sun pad area in the bow, with storage beneath. (keep the misses happy)

A-Frame with Wakeboard towing point and liferings, with echomax on top, 2 x 220 litre stainless fuel tanks under the deck.

Electronics wise, will have the Smartcraft 5000 system, Garmin 2010c Chart Plotter and Icom 421 VHF.

Will post some photo's when I have some through. [/QUOTE]

Braåhaprylar.com
mattiasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2006, 07:32   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
So how much did all this cost then?! I've asked many time, but never got an answer!
I am not surprised it’s a BL**DY awful question what does it matter what it cost surely that’s Nuati Buoys business and no one else’s
Old 16 November 2006, 08:03   #234
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Quote:
Thank you Milan If you would like a price for a similar set up, Andre will, I am sure, happily give you a price.

regards

Richard
Old 16 November 2006, 08:12   #235
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Jeez it was only a question, calm down girls
Old 16 November 2006, 08:18   #236

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Was in Port Solent yesterday the rib looks excellent you must be well chuffed with her.
Old 16 November 2006, 08:20   #237

Town: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasb View Post
Sounds like a cool setup! Here's a benchmark for you, engines a year old, not th esame high spec though.

http://www.blocket.se/vi/9888706.htm?ca=16_s, £ approx 72500 inlc tax, berth in Sweden.

Looking fwd to your pics!

All the best
Matt
That particular rib is known in Sweden as C RIB 30 but else where as
Parker 900RS
Richard' rib is the Parker 900Baltic

see our web page for the difference

by the way it is a good rib as well . Have driven it
Old 16 November 2006, 08:25   #238

Town: Gothenburg
Boat name: Diventure X
Make: Ribcraft 850 SC
Engine: Suzuki DF300
Send a message via Skype™ to mattiasb
Ahhh
Clearing this up - THANKS!

Matt
Quote:
That particular rib is known in Sweden as C RIB 30 but else where as
Parker 900RS
Richard' rib is the Parker 900Baltic

see our web page for the difference

by the way it is a good rib as well . Have driven it

Braåhaprylar.com
mattiasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2006, 11:54   #239

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Jeez it was only a question, calm down girls
I don't know why people get so touchy on such subjects - it's obviously a lot of money so what does it matter?
Old 16 November 2006, 17:56   #240

A Nauti Weekend In Calais !

Part 3 : Sunday 12th November

‘Allo ‘Allo!!

Well fortified from lunch , the Nauti Team set forth for the marina to take advantage of the now lighter winds and soon-to-open lock gates. Some time was spent warming up the engines and stowing away (legal) equipment while Simon and Paul got their first shots of the brand-new Parker RIB in the water.

The French Customs Team, complete with le very friendly labrador, sauntered towards us.. They had probably had their post-prandial coffees and digestifs at leisure while watching us pack away every inch of kit before turning out to ask politely if we wouldn’t mind taking it all out again for their inspection. It was almost a social occasion as they seemed to spend an undue amount of time asking how fast the new RIB could go and how many ‘horses’ it had! Meanwhile their dog sniffed Nautibuoy thoroughly for any exotic herbs and spices (or failing that the bones of a rotting old garfish). Job done (and firmly clutching their new Parker RIBs brochure), the genial Customs Team wished us a bon voyage before resuming their Sunday afternoon constitutional.

Entente Cordiale complete by 2.30 pm (dental time - Robin ), Richard got his crew to focus on the real business of the weekend and we pulled away from the pontoon. We radioed the Port a few times on the recommended channel and were haughtily ignored before the lights finally changed to green. This was it!!! All of Richard and Andre’s planning was at last taking shape as the RIB began the journey home to Portsmouth.

There was general excitement on board (as things had gone so smoothly) and not a little anxiety as well since the reasonably strong north-westerly promised to put us all through our paces.

The wind and waves kicked in as we left the harbour and Richard feathered his twin throttles to get maximum performance in beamy seas. There were plenty of other craft in view all rocking and rolling through that very busy waterway. We began to cross the shipping channel at the appropriate angle (guided by Mike in the navigator seat) and we settled in for the long passage ahead. Suddenly there was a break in the clouds and there was ‘sunshine over the white cliffs of Dover’ as we headed for the coast of Blighty.

(Part 4 to follow Andre & Nauti only it’s Debenhams 24-hour Spectacular Sale tonight and I need to buy Christmas Pressies.)

9) Les French Customs resuming their Sunday Afternoon pursuits
10) Bit ‘Parky’ innit!!! But Nauti's flippin glowing with pride!!!
11) A cheerful Nautibuoy leaves grey old Calais
12) Shipshape ! A logo to be proud of!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	office.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	23268   Click image for larger version

Name:	flip.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	23269   Click image for larger version