Old 26 September 2005, 15:17   #1

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Osprey vipermax 7.0 or 7.5

Need some advice as i research all possibilities....

does anyone out there have experience of osprey vipermax 7.0 or 7.5, does anyone have any pics of such boats, have been on the site bruggemarinecenter but not much that helps there.

i have heard the 6.5 is a good boat but is the 7 and 7.5 equally good, better?

which consoles are considered to be best, i prefer the consoles that allow two people to sit behind them but there are two types, the ranger and the discovery

any views or insights would be good

i would look to put the largest engine possible on either but if a certain engine gives good balance then any advice would be great in this regard.
Old 26 September 2005, 15:49   #2

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Have you had a look at this?
http://www.ospreyrib.com/frameset-eng.htm
and
http://www.ospreyrib.com/frameset-eng.htm

Petrov is your man to ask!
Old 26 September 2005, 16:03   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
You do realise that we are talking serious ribs here. . Only the Andy McNab's of this world need apply. This is not your pose up and down the river waving G&T's with lots of squidgy cushions kinda rib.
Old 26 September 2005, 16:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
You do realise that we are talking serious ribs here. . Only the Andy McNab's of this world need apply. This is not your pose up and down the river waving G&T's with lots of squidgy cushions kinda rib.
i was thinking it might make quite a good river boat!!!! if i go for a 7.5 i can get a 9.9 fourstroke for the back to keep it nice and economical, nice sunbathing area at the front for the mrs, then switch the opti on when on the sea

you can get bow sunbed area on some of them so looking round for what is about 2nd hand, got to think of her indoors and the kids....... i have separate toys that they cant join in with and i am determined to compromise with the rib so they can join as a family

need space for the cooler for the chilled drinks of course.
Old 26 September 2005, 16:59   #5

Town: Llandygai, Bangor
Boat name: AhandAh (R&R)
Make: Maxum
Length: 7m +
Engine: INBOARD DIESEL
Send a message via AIM to Ribster Rache
Nice choice, Osprey ribs. These are a seriously sea going rib with a proven pedigree of offshore racing.

Now there is a member called Humper who comes out of his shell now and then who has a 7 metre osprey vipermax with Evenrude etec 250. We often boat with him and it is an awesome combination of engine to boat balance.

He's definitely worth a pm and he will be able to answer many of your questions and queries re consoles, engines, performances etc. Top bloke too!!

Good luck!
Old 26 September 2005, 20:13   #6

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Hi Hugh;

I have a library of pics, if you send me a mail with adress i can send you a CD or a mail with plenty of pics.
Use the info mail on the homepage below.

Quote:
Petrov is your man to ask!
Thanks Nick
Old 26 September 2005, 20:24   #7

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
The main prob would be Chris, is that these boats are fairly rare. Choices and options would be limited should you be able to find any. There must be a good business opportunity there for someone with abit of foresight and a few quid now that Boats and Jetski have gone pop. These really are cracking boats.
Old 26 September 2005, 20:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
The main prob would be Chris, is that these boats are fairly rare. These really are cracking boats.
Ohhhhhh, I did not realise they suffered with cracking!!!!! haha

cant wait to get some pics from petrov, time is on my side and the time of year is also so it gives me a few more options of the boats i want to go for.

still in the cobra/scorpion/osprey camp at the moment and the right boat for the right money will get my cheque.

cheers

G&T please
Old 26 September 2005, 21:16   #9

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
Ohhhhhh, I did not realise they suffered with cracking!!!!! haha

cant wait to get some pics from petrov, time is on my side and the time of year is also so it gives me a few more options of the boats i want to go for.

still in the cobra/scorpion/osprey camp at the moment and the right boat for the right money will get my cheque.

cheers

G&T please
What budget are you planning on???

Nice looking picton here but not cheap at £27000

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F77215/

Even better one here for £32000

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F77519/

Looks stunning and is a diesel but again not cheap - they DO hold their money which is good if you ever need to sell it again!!!

Personally I think a newer engine with an older boat may be a good buy.

Winter is the right time to buy and cash waved under the nose can work wonders!!!
Old 26 September 2005, 21:25   #10

i search a couple of times a day and have been to see a few on the various sites, i am prefering to spend less than 20k if i can, i love pictons but not to everyones taste, i am trying to gauge value so that i dont lose my shirt when i come to sell it, also trying to strike a balance between fun for me and fun for the family. Dave Picton is great and he has been calling me when he gets some in over the past week but they have been a bit too pricy for what i ideally want to pay.

i have my eye on about 5 boat options now and i am waiting for the right one at the right price or negotiations to step up a gear

If i was to sell the sheltie i would go for the 32 k one on your thread as i spotted it as soon as it was listed, but, we have so much fun on the river that i need to keep that boat as the kids love it and going away for 9 days at a time on the boat along the thames is brill.

also a trailer is a must as i dont keep in the water, plus i travel around and want to try different places

if anyone out there has a 2000/2001 picton cobra gen 2, blue, good seats, good trailer, and a 250/275 on the back or a 7.5 osprey vipermax with front sundeck, adventurer low style helm, twin single jockeys, rear bench seat with a 250/275/300 on the back then give me a shout..........i want your boat.

ps i dont mind a "see me girls" on the back...haha
Old 26 September 2005, 21:36   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I love Pictons and I suspect what most people want from their Ribbing they would be ideal for most people - I know though that once I get used to something I tend to go to extremes - just hope my new hull will be up to it - same as used by revenger apparently and they are well proven!!!
Old 26 September 2005, 21:39   #12
ADS

Town: Dorset
Chris, I think you are asking alot of 20k! I would recommend going to look at this boat:
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F77404

I have known this boat from new and know that it has done very few hours and is in good condition although could do with a clean. My only concern is that the engine is a 250HP EFI NOT optimax so may be a bit thirsty. Scorpian are arguably one of the most sought after ribs and as such they hold their value

Alex
Old 26 September 2005, 21:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
Chris, I think you are asking alot of 20k! I would recommend going to look at this boat:
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F77404

I have known this boat from new and know that it has done very few hours and is in good condition although could do with a clean. My only concern is that the engine is a 250HP EFI NOT optimax so may be a bit thirsty. Scorpian are arguably one of the most sought after ribs and as such they hold their value

Alex
yes i am aware of three scorpion 7.5s for sale so i do need to go see one and see what they are like, nice boats from what i have heard.

looking for a winter bargain here!!!!!!!
Old 27 September 2005, 11:08   #14

Town: westlancs/anglesey
Boat name: Humper 2
Make: osprey vipermax
Engine: evinrude e-tec 250hp
osprey vipermax

Hello Hugh,As Ribster Rache has said I have a 7m vipermax with an E-tec 250 hung on the back.It`s my 3rd Rib and I have been very impressed with it we were out this weekend off Anglesey in serious conditions with 3 adults and 4 children we estimated that some of the waves were 2.5m from trough to crest it was awesome,great fun and we felt as safe as you can for those conditions.Ospreys really come into there own in big seas.The E-tec is a fantastic engine very powerful and surprisingly frugal for a 250hp it is also very light compared to most 250`s so the balance on a 7m in my opinion is bang on! We`ve had 56mph with 8 crew and 200 L or so of fuel onboard.I have the wide discovery console with a customised screen and grab-rail which gives good protection, with two single jockey seats and two double jockeyseats behind.the boat was new this year(on the water at Easter)engine hours 60.It could be for sale for the right money but 20k don`t come near! I have been thinking of moving up to a twin-engine installation because we are planning to go much further off-shore.I would still go for a 7 or 7.5 vipermax (the actual L.O.A of the 7m is 7.2m) If you want anymore info about my boat or about Ospreys in general please contact me.
Old 27 September 2005, 15:11   #15

Town: Oosterhout
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Yamaha200hpdi
MMSI: 244010322
Hi Hugh,

Last year I bought an Osprey Vipermax 7. I'm very pleased with it. It's my fourth rib. Sailcaracteristics are superb! At first I had some problems with compensating the propellor-torc but with placing the engin an inch to the sb-side that was solved.
Now the only thing I don't like is the fact that with low speeds, when not in the plane, the rib goes any direction, accept the one I want to go to. I'm constantly steering to keep the right course. Perhaps trim tabs could help solve this inconvenience. I think it's the result of cutting a triange-shaped part from the hull / transom that Osprey does to improve speed.
With the mounted Yamaha 200 hpdi vmax I reach 50 knots, with two people on board and not to much fuel in it.
Average I burn 5 gallons per hour. That is in fact economical but if you'r out a whole day still a lot of money! Specialy with the fuel price nowadays.
So, (if there is a) next time I would go for a diesel engine.

For pictures you can go to http://www.ribadventures.TK