Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 08 August 2011, 11:09   #21

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Our RC 5.3 came with a verbal warning from new not to totally rely on the fuel guage, rather to use it as an indication only. In reality, it's fairly accurate when the boat is level and at rest. Underway, it's pessimistic depending on trim and sea state. It fluctuates mildly underway but certainly not wildly...possibly of the order of +\- 10%. We log our journeys for distance from the GPS and brim fill the tank on occasion so we can accurately calculate average fuel consumption. With this mpg data the guage is accurate enough to aid passage planning.
Old 08 August 2011, 14:45   #22

Boat name: No name yet
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF30
Can anyone post a picture of the gauge / sender used by Ribcraft? I think they're WEMA units. I like to know what I'm talking about before I post rubbish.

free
Old 08 August 2011, 18:36   #23

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Yamaha
I'm not at my boat at the moment, but the instument itself is a WEMA indicater , I don't know if what's in the tank also is from the same mark
Old 09 August 2011, 09:54   #24

I'm guessing something like these? Can any other RC owners confirm?

free
Old 09 August 2011, 15:26   #25

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Can't comment on the sender but the guage is nothing like ours. Think ours are Suzuki?
Old 09 August 2011, 15:55   #26

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
My last one was an LED type, didn't bother with a gauge on this one, due to being useless. I still had the senders in the tanks & had them connected into my I-command/nmea2000 network, still useles. Continuous "low Fuel" alarms everytime you hit a wave. I use the EMM (engine fuel flow) now as my fuel remaining source & it is bang on whatever the conditions.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2011, 20:44   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I still had the senders in the tanks & had them connected into my I-command/nmea2000 network, still useles. Continuous "low Fuel" alarms everytime you hit a wave.
This kind of supports my findings so far. The WEMA gauges are undamped and the sender unit pictured is also undamped, it seems to be the one regularly fitted, after a fairly extensive trawl of the net. Admittedly it's a lot better than a swing arm type, but it's not right. WEMA makes an SD damped unit, but I'd bet next months wages on not many of them being fitted. Essentially, the same sender as above sits in a sealed tube with a small hole(s) top and bottom. This results in the fluid around the sender having a lag of several seconds, effectively damping out the oscillations.

Back to the OP, I don't really think he was expecting to be told to buy a new engine when all he wanted was to fix his fuel gauge. There's clearly something wrong when over 50% (30/50) of the tank volume is not read by the gauge. I'd be looking at the physical positioning of the sender, the length of the sender and finally checking that the resistance range is 0-180 ohms (I'd personally check the resistances at the gauge end rather than the sender itself.) These are reed switch types, so will never give a true linear reading and it would only take a couple of faulty reeds to make them effectively useless.

Bouncing between empty and full may just be the result of ineffective damping, but I'd also be checking all earth connections and feeds for high resistance, dead shorts and intermittent breaks.

free
Old 10 August 2011, 09:40   #28

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
The advice to buy a new engine was given with a teensy weensy touch of humour, a bit like the part in the microwave manual that tells you not to use it for drying your pets.

ee lad, tha can't educate pork
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 10:37   #29

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi Free
I had to renew my sender some three years ago direct from RC and it is the same as your photo. It was a bugger to fit and grade but we did it in the end by following the instructions with out deviating, the only slight problem is that is not too accurate at the b ottom range, but there is never any bouncing about of the needle.

Hope this helps BTW I have the same guage.

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote