Old 22 January 2005, 23:18   #1

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Not worth the hassle

Selling bits on the internet, is I've decided just not worth the hassle.

In December I sent somebody on this forum a prop for them to try before they paid for it, and the post office lost it, I'm still trying to get the insured value out of the post office as they can't establish where it went missing.
A good deed thats backfired on me and I'm out of pocket.

In recent times Ive had people cancel cheques the day they sent them, I've been sent a fake Building Society cheque, and a cheque from an account that the buyer closed months before. Thats without all the people that wanted to buy my old boat without seeing it, and wanted to send me a cheque for too much so I could refund the differance.

Now I've sold a gauge to a guy on Boats and Outboards and I'm getting some e-mails with attitude because I won't sent him the gauge before I've received the cheque.

As I said its not worth the grief for a small amout of beer money, it can all fester in my garage.

Nasher.
Old 23 January 2005, 00:06   #2

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Nasher,

Cheer up old boy, set up a webcam (pay per view) in your old garage where all that stuff is festering and people can log and you'll get rich. You might have to jazz it up a bit with random walk-ons from "Nashers Sirens" now and then, oh then there's the calendar at crimbo run off on a cheap colour lazer.

In no time at all you'll be feeling you old self.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2005, 00:11   #3

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
That's the trouble these days the internet has made things soooo easy that unfortunately it's also left a gaping wide hole that can be abused by a sad but annoying few.

I've had all sorts of problems with buyers and sellers on ebay and the likes and have given up.........your right it just isn't worth the grief/hassle!

I ended up being about £1200 out of pocket through and Amazon scam that whilst it all came with a guarentee and I did my back ground checks first, it all went t*t's up!

Although I'd got a reseller guarentee from Amazon it ain't worth the web page it's printed on. My lawyer advised to look at it as a learning experience as it would cost me 1000's to try and win a case for negligence.

Someone some where has this sewn up and is laughing their ruddy 'eds off!
Old 23 January 2005, 08:19   #4

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
As I said its not worth the grief for a small amout of beer money, it can all fester in my garage.

Nasher.
Nasher,

Sell all the bits to me for my RIB build I won't stitch you up.

Tim
Old 23 January 2005, 08:23   #5

Town: Republic of Cork
Boat name: Vortex
Make: Excalibur
Engine: Yam 200 VMAX
For every bad story there's a good one. I purchased my precious Yamaha 200 VMAX over the net. Bought it used from a dealer in Canada and had it flown to Cork. The vendor could not have been more professional.

The unit was sent in a factory shipping crate with all the bits for rigging right down to the mounting bolts and connectors for the control cables. He even threw in a prop and couple of base ball caps from the dealership. After charging me Canadian sales tax by mistake he refunded my credit card upon proof of export.

Easy peasy, and the best bit was the engine was only ever run in fresh water.

Mark
Old 23 January 2005, 11:09   #6

I understand where people are coming from on this one, I was scammed for a £300 computer on eBay a while back. All seemed like a genuine deal, and the seller had absolutely huge feedback ratings, but then vanished with the cash.

That said, I have had over 40 very happy eBay transactions in my time, and a few outside of eBay. One chap even sent me his item before I'd even written the cheque!

Ah well, some you win, some you loose.
Old 23 January 2005, 12:14   #7

Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Leeway
Make: leeway 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp = 73mph :0)
unfortunatly there are a select few that abuse the trust of others and use the internet. you should always state that you will not release anything sold until you have cleared funds in your account. so far this attitude has always worked for me. oh and always state you are not resposable for goods lost in post, i always keep proof of postage. hope this helps
Old 23 January 2005, 12:17   #8
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
Selling bits on the internet, is I've decided just not worth the hassle.

In December I sent somebody on this forum a prop for them to try before they paid for it, and the post office lost it, I'm still trying to get the insured value out of the post office as they can't establish where it went missing.
A good deed thats backfired on me and I'm out of pocket.

Nasher.
A kind favour from Nasher turned out to be a complete pain in the arse for him, bloody royal mail haven't got a clue. I have no idea how they could physically manage to loose a prop! Without accusing any postmen or women the prop must have been stolen from within the organisation because there is no way something can be lost on recorded delivery.
The Royal Mail is obviously a disaster area anyway, it always amazes me how a company with a monopoly can record a loss!

Rant over!

Alex
Old 23 January 2005, 13:52   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B
Nasher,

In no time at all you'll be feeling you old self.

I guess that depends on the sirens attitude really
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2005, 10:13   #10
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I've bought a few bits and bobs over the internet but I`ve never released the goods until I`ve got cleared cash. More to the point I'd never expect anybody to send me the items if I`d not paid for it.

Perhaps I`m too cynical but one bad experience can cloud ones opinion forever.

Incidently if you ever buy of sell a boat never ask for cash or a bankers draft as payment. A same day wire transfer is the safest way to transfer it.

It cost 20 quid and is worth it for the piece of mind.

Chris
Old 24 January 2005, 11:57   #11

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
I shop on the internet quite a bit, i see two methods really

1) As with lots of bits i have purchased from marine suppliers, the web site asks for payment details, which obivoulsy get checked before the good are sent - i have never had any problems in this method

2) people selling bits, no matter if its the web, paper ..... cash in bank first then send

other points

Title does not change until payment is cashed
What happens if you send money and recieve nothing, this gets many people. Most time now you can use paypal as an audit.

i just buy from trusted sources, integrity is everything
Old 26 January 2005, 09:05   #12

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I've used ebay over 300 times and have never ended up out of pocket. I think if you use Paypal your normally quite well protected.......

What's wrong with using cash for a sale? Unless the "buyer" mugs you and drives off with boat and money you can't loose?
Old 26 January 2005, 09:32   #13

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
Jono at PPT uses the ebay quite abit. I wonder how he has found it.
I sell on e bay and the web and always have cash in hand or cleared cheque first.
Currently selling the Disco TD5 in autotrader for £12500 and someone emailed me offering £20,000!!! It will arrive by courier.....then I have to send £6000.oo to ........yea yea yea..... so I e mailed back saying I had sold it to another con man who got there first!!!!!

Torbay & Dartmouth Powerboat School
01803 855508
The South West Premier RYA Powerboat Training Centre
www.powerboat-instruction.co.uk
David Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote