Click Here to Login

Old 29 January 2018, 06:55   #1

Town: Thetford
Make: Rimini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75hp
Norfolk & Suffolk boat launch info

Hi

I have been looking around Norfolk and Suffolk for decent slipways to launch when the weather changes

I have looked on boatlaunch however the information is limited and dated.

I would appreciate any info on slipways or boatyards anyone has recently used.

The closest ones to me are in Ipswich. Looking at some of the marinas the prices can be quite steep £30 for the use of their slipway. I have also noticed that a couple are run by sailing clubs who do not seem that receptive of outsider use.

I plan to go and have a look as this will be my first time launching and recovering a boat. With this in mind I would like my first slipway to be a 1 mile wide and with no one watching

Thanks in advance

Blakey
Old 29 January 2018, 09:53   #2

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Hiya Blakey

I think good slips are few and far between in this part of East Anglia but last October I launched my 5.85 at The Waveney River Centre for a weeks pottering around on the Broads.... ( Grandkids on half term ! )

£10 to use slip , about £10 per night for a ( side on ) mooring and £27 for a weeks Broads licence .

Half an hour at 4 knots gets you to Oulton Broad and Mutford Lock and access to the Sea at Lowestoft . ( Phone in advance re use of the Lock ) . It would of course be possible to leave the boat in Lowestoft Marina for a few days to avoid the lock and speed limit hassle !

The slip at the river centre is pretty quiet and safe for first time experimentation . Happy to meet up with you there !

For easier access to the sea , I did find another small slip at Great Yarmouth on the River Bure . OK at slack tides but very sideways on when tide is flowing . Also a bit of a debate as to whether or not you need a Broads licence to use this slip . The owner says no ( and quotes historical rights going back to King John ) but I have an inkling the authorities may see things differently !!!!!!

I'm sure more knowledgeable locals will be along shortly with other tips .
Old 29 January 2018, 10:22   #3

Town: ipswich
Boat name: Red Line
Make: Tohatsu
Engine: 70hp tohatsu
I always use levington Marina. Nice steep slip, back down it down and pull out if you have a 4x4. It’s very protected from the wind aswell.

If you aren’t confident it also has a free to use self guiding wire. Which means you can back the boat into the water without the car going onto the slip! Have a look.
Old 29 January 2018, 12:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
I think good slips are few and far between in this part of East Anglia but last October I launched my 5.85 at The Waveney River Centre for a weeks pottering around on the Broads.... ( Grandkids on half term ! )

£10 to use slip , about £10 per night for a ( side on ) mooring and £27 for a weeks Broads licence .

Half an hour at 4 knots gets you to Oulton Broad and Mutford Lock and access to the Sea at Lowestoft . ( Phone in advance re use of the Lock ) . It would of course be possible to leave the boat in Lowestoft Marina for a few days to avoid the lock and speed limit hassle !

The slip at the river centre is pretty quiet and safe for first time experimentation . Happy to meet up with you there !

For easier access to the sea , I did find another small slip at Great Yarmouth on the River Bure . OK at slack tides but very sideways on when tide is flowing . Also a bit of a debate as to whether or not you need a Broads licence to use this slip . The owner says no ( and quotes historical rights going back to King John ) but I have an inkling the authorities may see things differently !!!!!!

I'm sure more knowledgeable locals will be along shortly with other tips .
Thanks for the offer. When the weather is a little better Ill be in touch.
Old 29 January 2018, 12:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigo View Post
I always use levington Marina. Nice steep slip, back down it down and pull out if you have a 4x4. It’s very protected from the wind aswell.

If you aren’t confident it also has a free to use self guiding wire. Which means you can back the boat into the water without the car going onto the slip! Have a look.
Hi

I have seen this one on their website. Are you limited to when you can launch as it does mention around 4 hours either side of high water ?

Also, forgive my inexperience, but is it possible to single handed launch or is it one man in the boat and one on the winch ?

Thanks
Old 29 January 2018, 12:15   #6

If you have a 4x4 you can do it all single handedly! But if you use the winch you’ll want a spotter as you can’t see how deep the trailer is in the water. And yes 4 hours either side is about right!
Old 29 January 2018, 12:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigo View Post
If you have a 4x4 you can do it all single handedly! But if you use the winch you’ll want a spotter as you can’t see how deep the trailer is in the water. And yes 4 hours either side is about right!
Thanks....I think i need to get myself over there and watch how it is done

Ever used the free slipway at Pin Mill ?

Blakey
Old 29 January 2018, 14:25   #8

never used the one at pin mill as it’s pretty shallow! I tend to only use slips where I don’t need to get my car in the water. I have launched at Shotley but the slip there is exposed to the wind and tide.
Old 29 January 2018, 14:39   #9

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
From North - South.....

Blakeney, or more accurately the National Trust place at Stiffkey has a reasonable gravel/mud slipway. It is very tidal (useable about 2 hours before and after HW) but is ideal for seal watching trips or picnics out on Blakeney point. With a 5m RIB you should be ok with a 2wd car but bring a long rope. Decent loos, place to get food and parking. Slip is free, parking costs a few quid (or free if you're a National Trust member).

Sea Palling: You used to be able to launch at Sea Palling - there was an operation called Beach Rock Leisure who mainly catered for jet-skis but would launch anyone inside the artificial reefs with their tractor for about £20 in and out. Haven't used this for a few years and I heard it had closed but worth checking. Again plenty of parking nearby, loos, cafes, ice-cream etc.

Yarmouth: Great concrete slip with hose / other boatyard facilities at Anglia Boatyard, just up the Bure from the yacht-station (its a small yard and doesn't have a website. ABout 20 mins out to sea, or you can take the boat for a razz up Breydon Water (no speed limit!). If you locate the Travel Inn near Asda, it's on the same road, to the West. It's run by an old chap and use of the slip is somewhat dependant on whether he's there to unlock the gate for you. I think he charges £15 in and out, but he also does a yearly price of about £120 which gives you 24/7 access with your own key.

Lowestoft - several options. Royal Norfolk and Suffolk YC have a very steep and narrow slip but it's fine with a smaller RIB. Quite expensive at around £30 in and out. The yard where Crompton RIBs used to be (name escapes me right now!) has a couple of decent concrete slips. Not totally sure who you speak to these days, last time I used it I didn't pay anything. The best option in Lowestoft however is the slip at slip at Oulton Broad (just in front of the Oulton Broad sailing club boatshed - about 250m to the left of the club house). Perfect concrete slip, plenty of space to tie up while you park, plenty of parking and a hose to rinse down. From here you need to transit Mutford lock to get out to sea but is only about £10 return trip (price also allows you to transit Oulton Broad for the day so no Broad's toll required).

Next one down is Southwold. The main harbour slip is next to the harbour masters office. Half the time there's no-one about to charge you. But even if they do it's not expensive. Decent concrete slip which does get rather muddy (so prepare to get covered in it). The harbour inn just up the road is a very welcome place to get a drink and a spot of food on your return!

South of there my knowledge diminishes! But that should keep you busy for a few outings!
Old 29 January 2018, 15:54   #10

Some great advice all. Thanks
Old 29 January 2018, 20:00   #11

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
i buy annual pass for levington £200 per annum april1st to march 31st thats the only time you get 12 months buy any later and its still £200 ,super steep concrete slip ,i launch 5metre,never put trailer wheels in above tyre wall 70mm, any state of tide ,however lower the tide ,scarier it gets ,loads of tales of woe ,but once you get the hang of it its just a case of being sensible,i am happy to meet up if you need help,i ussually launch alone ,
other end of felixstowe is the ferry ,rates are similar but you maybe able to get a place in the boatyard for annual payment ,personally i find launch a pain with a big side flow
htere is also aldeburgh yacht club is fair at £15 i think ,but that puts you in the river6 miles from the sea i think
orford quay is cheap for small horsepower but parking is a pain
brightlingsea is cheap annually below 70 hp i think ,might think i have gone mad but not that far if you cut Bury Sudbury colchester brightlingsea
Old 29 January 2018, 22:28   #12

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>brightlingsea is cheap annually below 70 hp i think ,might think i have gone mad but not that far if you cut Bury Sudbury colchester brightlingsea

And if considering Brightlingsea don't discount West Mersea on Mersea Island just a few miles south of Colchester.

For a first timer it's a very easy introduction with the gentle gradient hard gravel slip (the one by the RNLI) launching into quiet water and a nice pontoon adj with toilets, wash tap (for people/things not boat), café, chandlery etc nearby.

You do have to plan where to leave a car/trailer though as the car park is tiny.

Have a look here (post #16 onwards) for some info and images...

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/launchi...sea-52571.html
Old 30 January 2018, 05:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
i buy annual pass for levington £200 per annum april1st to march 31st thats the only time you get 12 months buy any later and its still £200 ,super steep concrete slip ,i launch 5metre,never put trailer wheels in above tyre wall 70mm, any state of tide ,however lower the tide ,scarier it gets ,loads of tales of woe ,but once you get the hang of it its just a case of being sensible,i am happy to meet up if you need help,i ussually launch alone ,
other end of felixstowe is the ferry ,rates are similar but you maybe able to get a place in the boatyard for annual payment ,personally i find launch a pain with a big side flow
htere is also aldeburgh yacht club is fair at £15 i think ,but that puts you in the river6 miles from the sea i think
orford quay is cheap for small horsepower but parking is a pain
brightlingsea is cheap annually below 70 hp i think ,might think i have gone mad but not that far if you cut Bury Sudbury colchester brightlingsea
That sounds like a plan. Let me know when you plan to go and Ill arrange to meet you. Thanks
Old 31 January 2018, 22:33   #14

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Has anyone launched at Titchmarsh marina? Looks good on paper, and a lovely spot - I used to keep yacht there, but never launched a rib.