Good advice, thanks
Old 28 April 2012, 19:16   #22

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus330 View Post
Ok, getting the hang of this now, ribtec good, Avon bad, although as Avon is the household name it's a bit of a surprise, but I suspect if I searched the forums here I would find out why. That Valient is the first of the two links I posted above, but I can't find much info on them. But if anyone can vouch for the brand this might be my chance.
Sorry, that's bollocks, I have an Avon and a Ribtec, the hypalon Avon use is far superior to the hypalon Ribtec use, the level of detail and the finish on the Avon is better too although the Ribtec is going to look after you in bigger seas.

You need to look at how you are going to use your boat and buy accordingly, if you want a life boat but something like a Ribcraft/tec/Humber is going to look after you, if you want a comfy family boat then Ribeye/Avon.

I love both of mine
Old 28 April 2012, 19:29   #23

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus330 View Post
Ok, getting the hang of this now, ribtec good, Avon bad, although as Avon is the household name it's a bit of a surprise.
No mate the Avon Searider is raved about on this forum, the Avon model you linked to is nowhere near a Searider or a 535 Ribtec or a 4.8 Ribcraft or a ... etc etc.
You said you wanted the boat for the Bristol channel, that paricular Avon isn't ideal.
Old 28 April 2012, 19:43   #24

Length: 5m +
Ok, so the flatter v craft are not so suited to the Bristol Channel, which makes Ribtec type more suited for my locale. But, if I only intend to use the boat in fair conditions,ie about F4 or less, does this make such a difference ? Or does the constant swell we get really pont me towards needing the Ribtec. I suppose if I wat to cross the channel to Ilfracoombe then the Ribtec is obviously the better bet.
Old 28 April 2012, 19:51   #25

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Generally speaking your looking for a deep V hull, UK manufactured hulls are almost exclusively that because of the sea conditions around the UK, yes of course you can go with the weather but if it changes (when doesn't it!) you've got a bit of insurance and extra capability, doesn't have to be Ribtec there are numerous others out there that do the job just as well/better it was just that that first 535 you spotted seemed an excellent example.
Old 28 April 2012, 20:05   #26

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
That Zodiac thar br1anuk is selling looks like a good boat, I've seen a couple of them and they do have a pretty deep and capable hull - Zodiac bought Avon and for a while put blue tubes and an avon badge on that hull then wound them down.
Old 28 April 2012, 20:11   #27

The problem with that option is the expense of getting the outboard fitted and rigged. I can't quite see how this could come in at 5500.
Old 28 April 2012, 20:18   #28

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Have you seen the ribtec for sale on here?
Dry run has just reduced it and you never know you may be able do a deal with your budget. If you don't ask you don't get.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2012, 20:28   #29

Too true, ok, many thanks for the input from everyone, I need to think this through a bit more. Cheers!
Old 29 April 2012, 09:13   #30

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Avon seasports have a shallow V. Easily driven with little power but very hard ride - more of a calm weather boat.
Old 29 April 2012, 09:52   #31

Thanks Searider, I talked to a local rib owner last night and that was pretty much the message he gave too. The 5k budget seem quite common on this forum too, if I want 5m, UK quality manufacturer, Jap 4t engine, Hypalon tubes, family friendly, roller trailer and less than 10 years old, I might have to up the budget! Or compromise on some aspects of my wish list.