Trade member

Town: Southampton, Solent
Boat name: Yoda, Obi Wan
Make: XS 600 & 700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 115 & 200hp o/b
Send a message via Skype™ to Stormforce
NEW RYA COURSE- RYA Powerboat Tender Operator

I contemplated putting this in the "trade announcements section" but figured that forumites may want to ask questions or discuss it.

Brand new today is the RYA Powerboat Tender Operator Course. This is a new powerboat course that comes after RYA Level 2 and is an alternative to the RYA Powerboat Intermediate.

The Stormforce Coaching RYA Tender Operator Course is aimed at super yacht crew who will be driving guests and owners from the anchored vessel to the shore both by day and by night onboard the yachts tender.

The course has been produced by the RYA as a direct result of requests from the industry for this kind of training.

Aimed at deck hands this course will help super yacht crew deal with some of the situations they face as drivers and to pilot their tender in the dark.

Full detail of the course can be found at Stormforce Coaching RYA Powerboat Tender Operator.

Stormforce Coaching are pleased to announce, not only the launch of this new course but to be one of the first centres in the world to offer this course. We are already setting up dates for existing super yacht customers to attend as whole crews and are offering dates to the general public at least once per month. If you plan to work in the super yacht sector then this course will help you immensely.
Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 October 2014, 23:23   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I've copied it over there for you.

Sounds like an interesting concept.

I'm not being facetious when I ask if it includes how to deal with stroppy drunk owners/wives etc as well as the more obvious boat handling??

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 October 2014, 06:35   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Engine: 200 HP
Powerboat Tender Operator Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post

I'm not being facetious when I ask if it includes how to deal with stroppy drunk owners/wives etc as well as the more obvious boat handling??
Hi Nos. Yes, we have put together some scenarios for discussion during the course. In particular dealing with drunken guests wanting to drive, refusing to sit down etc.

We think that those already working in the super yacht industry will recognise some of the scenarios and those who are training before they fly out to their first job will hopefully arrive a little more prepared.
Old 09 October 2014, 08:05   #4

What another RYA powerboat course ? Seems like there are so many of them ? Will there also be a RYA Powerboat Tenders instructor course ? Why an alternative to the intermediate course ?

Will this one be focussed on hospitality ? how to help a super model keep her hair in good order ? Where can I sign up ? LOL

Will it deal with things like how to asses whether it is safe to run a tendor operation in the current weather conditions or how to get a person safely from the tendor back onto the ship when the tendor boat is going up and down by 3metres due to a swell running etc.

Ive seen lots of incidents in tendor operations of cruise liners so while part of my post is flippant I understand teh reasons around the safety angle.
Old 09 October 2014, 15:02   #5

Yes, flippant but actually some good questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Will there also be a RYA Powerboat Tenders instructor course ?
An Advanced Powerboat Instructor is able to deliver this course, clearly a centre will be more likely to use Instructors with super yacht experience than not. We have included a section in the Adv PBI course from here on in to cover the PBTO course, existing APBIs will be brought up to speed by way of briefing and support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
an alternative to the intermediate course ?
Well yes, but with a different kind of driver/customer in mind. Firstly this course covers night use as well as day use, secondly there is no expectation that candidates will have attended a shorebased nav. course first. This course would not give you the skills required to progress to advanced, it is very much intended to help prepare drivers for the kind of work they will be doing.
Old 11 October 2014, 16:54   #6

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
I'm intrigued as to what standard of boat and equipment on board will be required by the RYA!
Old 12 October 2014, 07:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Tim View Post
I'm intrigued as to what standard of boat and equipment on board will be required by the RYA!
Hi Tim

The RYA Powerboat Tender Operator course can be taught using the same boat that RYA Powerboat Advanced Centres already use for advanced training (i.e. coded for night use, planing speed, at least 4 dedicated forward facing seats aft of the console with backrest etc, fitted sounder and plotter/GPS, ability to keep lookout all round, probably 6m+LOA. If a RIB coded to 3+R, if not then coded cat 3.)