Old 22 December 2011, 18:12   #1
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
New "old" Tubes - Wing PU

Background: Just got a Willard 730. Hypalon tubes on them were crap. Bought a set of PU tubes from JP. They're from Wing and are in pretty good shape (supple, slight green tinge, no leaks, etc.)

I talked to Wing yesterday:

(1) I asked about new pressure relief valves (tubes only had 4, needed 3 more). $30/each, SEI PRV-4 valves. Couldn't find them anywhere online. $30 seems reasonable. Comments?

(2) I wanted to extend the non-slip painted section on the top of the tubes so I asked them about paint. They actually suggested painting everything (not just the top non-slip patches) above the rubstrake and on the inside with TechThane two-part Urethane paint. They said to paint above the waterline/rubstrake for: (a) UV resistance, (b) abrasion resistance, and © to seal any micro-leaks. They actually apply this stuff to many of the new tubes sets that leave the factory (but not for Willards). They'll sell it to me but it's expensive.

Most members of this forum strongly recommend against painting tubes…NEVER EVER! Because they actually do this at the factory, might this be an exception to the "don't ever paint your tubes" rule?

Thanks!!!
Old 22 December 2011, 18:27   #2

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
In Cali I would get the overpressure valves, price seems reasonable. If you are correctly inflated in the morning you'll be overpressure in the afternoons. (and then underpressure the following morning, so bring along means to reinflate)

I don't know anything about PU or painting tubes. I would guess reputable tube places know more than the internets.
Old 22 December 2011, 19:03   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
Most members of this forum strongly recommend against painting tubes…NEVER EVER! Because they actually do this at the factory, might this be an exception to the "don't ever paint your tubes" rule?
As far as I know, very few people on here have polyurethane tubes. The "never paint your tubes" thing is geared towards hypalon and PVC, and even then there are probably exceptions when painting is a good thing.

Wing is a very reputable company that has been supplying tubes to some pretty high end customers (like the US miilitary.) I'd assume they know their product, and how to maintain it.

jky
Old 22 December 2011, 19:48   #4

Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
Indeed, a couple of the mainstream Manufacturers in the UK use PU, abrasion resistance is pretty good but longevity is still an open question.
In warmer climates painting the tube in a light colour could be beneficial. Some people on here have done some cracking jobs on painting too. The biggest factor is some people see it as devaluing the boat if you paint the whole tube.