Old 29 October 2005, 06:22   #1

Town: Pacific NW
Make: zodiac pro 420
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tiller 25 yamaha
new guy, new rib

hello everyone. i just stumbled on this site and i think it's just what i need. i just bought a 1989 14 ft. quicksilver yesterday. i don't know anything about ribs except the very, very basics so no laughing at my ridiculous questions

so basically i needed a very seaworthy boat to keep on my mom's dock on the columbia river in oregon. it is a very large river and get's large chop. very dangerous river for boaters. so i found a guy selling this boat for very cheap. it needs work. 2 flat tubes (i believe just punctures), and a broken impeller in the jet pump. i can get the pump fixed for around $500.

my question is...should i keep the 85hp inboard/jet setup? or should i put an outboard on instead? i get the feeling when running correctly, this thing really moves. are jets a decent setup?

also i can't find any information on what type of tube setup this is. the local inflatable boat store salesman says he's never even seen one like it. it has a canvas like cover over an almost clear rubber tubing. ( sorry, i know i'm using the wrong terminology

so did i make a big mistake? i traded him an old honda 4stroke motor for it ($600 us dollar value) straight across. seemed like a good deal.

thanks in advance. i look forward to learning alot about these boats from this site. oh, here's some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005-10-28 001.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	15395   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005-10-28 002.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	15396   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005-10-28 020.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	15397  
Old 29 October 2005, 07:03   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Hi, and welcome to Ribnet. For $600 looks like a bargin if you can ge tthe jet sorted. Tubes not a problem the pressure inside is very low 2 - 3 psi so its bicycle repair technology to fix however there are different tube materials so you need the right glue. It will be either hyperlon or PU. Jets have advantages and disadvantages but if your living on a river with a risk of floating stuff and shallows then a jet could be a good choice

Pete
Old 29 October 2005, 13:03   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Get that thing working and you will have a great boat - any chances of some more piccies of the arse end - so we can see the jet unit more clearly???

Any idea what make the jet unit/motor is?

Looking at similar boats you should get about 40mph out of it. Most inflatables are very seaworthy - I was out in stupid conditions in my Quicksilver 310 with a 15hp outboard yesterday. Waves were about 6 to 8' and the wind was a force 6 or 7. Shouldn't have been out but couldn't resist - great fun and never felt dangerous but had to keep the speed right down!!!
Old 29 October 2005, 15:15   #4

Town: Pacific NW
Make: zodiac pro 420
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tiller 25 yamaha
ok here's the back where the pump fits. i took it to a pump store and they thought it was a mid-jet model. it's powered by a mercury force powerhead attatched directly onto the pump. here's the pump also. the only pic i have of it.

i think this jet might work well for this river. there are many shallow sand bars surrounding the islands i want to explore with my 6 yr old son.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005-10-28 023.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	15400   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005-10-28 026.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	15401   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005-10-28 035.JPG
Views:	188