Old 27 July 2007, 22:05   #1

Town: Gatwick
Boat name: Max Power
Make: Cobra 7.5
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury Optimax 225
Need Advice On 6-7M RIB

Hi, I'm new to boating and am looking at buying a 6-7M RIB. I have shortlisted the Stingher 686GT & the Cobra 6.6M with a 200hp engine.

Is this a good choice or are there other boats I should be looking at.

It will be used with the family for fun in the Solent.

Can ayone give me any advice on which to choose, also which engine should I be looking to buy?

Any advice & help would be very grateful.

Thanks.
Old 28 July 2007, 06:44   #2

Town: Anglesey
Boat name: Targa Bay
Make: Fairline Targa 29
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD32
As with all these "what should I buy?" threads, it comes down to what you want to do with the boat.

I have just sold a Cobra 7.5 and thought it was fantastic. It did exactly what we wanted - comfortable, fast and great to lounge around and picnic on when you got to where you were going. However, it was not the greatest rough weather boat coz it would slam into head seas a bit - not too bad, but a bit - but that was not a major concern of ours as it would handle anything we would go out in with ease. Friends of ours have a Vipermax and that is a great rough weather boat. They go out jumping off waves and that sort of stuff - the boat takes it beautifully - but if we went out together they would jump on to ours once we got to our destination because the Cobra is so much more social and comfortable to sit around on. Try having a comfortable picnic on jockey seats!

You pays your money and takes your choice - you still have to pee in a bucket on either though which is why we are swapping ours!

Can't comment on the Stingher - we looked at one and didn't like the look compared to the Cobra. I'm not sure whether "Italian design flair" looks right on a cold wet British summers day!

On engines - don't be fooled into 4-strokes. They are heavy, expensive, over-complicated monstosities that cost a fortune to service every year. They are another media smokescreen. Buy an Evinrude ETEC - fantastic!
Old 28 July 2007, 08:52   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
Go and have a look at Ribcraft. They make very solid and good seaboats. I can't comment on the Stingher as I've never helmed one, I do however agree with the comments made about the Cobra.

There is a big choice out there. Go and try as many as you can - Solent ribs, Ribeye, Balistic, Marlin to name just a few.

Oh and go and do a PB 2 course. Take the family as you are all going to be in it together. Just a point though, only 3 students per instructor so depending on the age of the kids just take that into account. When I first started my wife and I did the level 2 together. I found it a great help in terms of the long term future of my boating to get the wife onside.

Anyway - good luck.
Old 28 July 2007, 10:00   #4

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAHA View Post
Hi, I'm new to boating and am looking at buying a 6-7M RIB. I have shortlisted the Stingher 686GT & the Cobra 6.6M with a 200hp engine.

Is this a good choice or are there other boats I should be looking at.

It will be used with the family for fun in the Solent.

Can ayone give me any advice on which to choose, also which engine should I be looking to buy?

Any advice & help would be very grateful.

Thanks.
Take a look at Zippy's new Scorpion.....Its superb
Click
Old 30 July 2007, 13:07   #5

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Ranger View Post

There is a big choice out there. Go and try as many as you can - Solent ribs, Ribeye, Balistic, Marlin to name just a few.

Anyway - good luck.

Not forgetting Bananashark! - we are adding a 6m to the well known 770 between now and the boat show at Southampton in September.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote