Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 07 September 2013, 19:31   #1

Town: Istanbul
Make: Joker
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90A
Need advice on 5.8 meter rib and 90 hp Suzuki

I have been planning to build a rib since last year (not saying buy, I spend a lot of time around vehicles with green ovals, makes it a habit ) Normally I had to decide about the boat itself first and then the engine etc. But last week I was talking to a friend who sells Yamahas and he told me that Suzuki had very nice offers on some over-stock 2012 models. So I got myself a DF90A with a very nice price. I managed to save around 30 percent from my engine budget.

I am seriously considering a 5.8 meter rib. Manufacturers specs say I can hang a 90hp as max on the transom. The link for the boat: Asil Marine - Rigid Hulled Inflatable Boats - Joker - Longer than 5 meters - JF-580-PST

I will use the boat mainly for fishing and diving with 2 to 4 up most of the time. I am not expecting to have a super fast boat but what I am seeing most of the time on same length boats is, more powerful engines.

Should I go for a shorter boat or would the 90 be enough for 5.8 meter as the seas are not flat most of the time and the cruising speed does not need to be very high.

Thanks,

Burak
Old 08 September 2013, 03:15   #2

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: E-Tec 115
Try dropping BruceB a message on here. He has a Humber Destroyer 5.8 with a Suzi 90 on the back. From memory I think he can see about 28knots. I believe he also does a fair bit of diving so allot of his use is probably pretty similar to yours.

Mark.
Old 08 September 2013, 11:30   #3

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
My rib is a 5.6 and hits 40 knots with a 90hp Tohatsu. I had a much larger engine before and the boat was unbalanced and not much fun. 90 is plenty for my boat. Mind you mine weighs all up about 460kg full of fuel with engine.
Old 08 September 2013, 11:38   #4

Town: south Yorkshire
Boat name: Trasee
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235099743
Using a Ribcraft 5.85 with same engine as you,been in some rough seas,up to press very impressed with every aspect,handles well 35+ in calm waters, go for it happy days....
Old 08 September 2013, 12:22   #5

Thanks for the replies. I think the boat will weigh around 750 kgs with engine and fuel (440 kgs boat + seat + console only). I think the ribcraft is around 400 kgs as dry boat only. So pretty good performance I guess.

Kubcat your boat is very light I am impressed!

I plan to visit the dealer next week to discuss.
Old 18 September 2013, 18:49   #6

I visited the dealer and placed an order on 5.8. It will be Neptune grey 1670 dtex hypalon and the hull will be the same color. I have added a bench seat aft.

As I have no hurries to have the boat delivered soon, we have agreed with the dealer that they will display the boat on Euroasia Boat Show in February. He promised some extras and I think they will be extra careful for production and finishes.

Tags
rib