Old 18 December 2002, 14:08   #61

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Hi Bilge Rat (great nom de forum) [wow what culture this Hart chappie has!]

The Boss , you know, 'er indoors, is wondering if I've gone even madder as I am sat here in my new drysuit. Who cares though, I'm happy.

Anyway, yes I am an awkward size, Now I know that I am too big around the waist but I'm not THAT big. My problem with one piece suits (for motorcycles) has always been my height, which is mostly in my body. I've always had a problem with the crutch to shoulder measurement, which has always been too small. I think the designers imagine that if you are 6'2" tall you must have looooong legs and a short body.

Anyway I emailed Ravenspring about this and they said that this would be taken account of in the measurements taken. And damned right they were too. It fits. It's comfortable. I can comfortably crouch down in the suit (I sit on the tube when driving my SIB) [no pansy seats for me].

I took the measurements as they said, at a comfortable fit (the Boss , who took said measurements, did not pull the tape tight). But we most certainly did NOT add anything on for extra clothing. Ravenspring take that into consideration.

Now, my daughter Karen (marine biologist) has a diving drysuit, which she wears when on the boat with me (it's a bl**dy wet boat). I must admit that I was expecting the Ravenspring suit to be rather like hers, but without the dump valves etc. However it is much lighter and easier to wear. I can hardly wait to get into the water with it on (then into the SIB).

The Boss has banned me from sitting in the bath with the suit on just to test it .

By the way Bilge Rat...you can NEVER eat too many bacon rolls!

Keith (any excuse to wear a tight rubber suit) Hart
Old 18 December 2002, 15:49   #62
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Steps to getting a good neck seal

A/. Measure your neck circumference.
B/. Go into Marjorie's pantry and find a saucepan the same size as aforementioned neck.
C/. Apply KY jelly to neck seal and insert saucepan from inside the suit.
D/. Leave for a week or so but do not use saucepan to cook with during this time.
E/. Remove saucepan and cut neck seal to achieve a comfortable fit.
F/. Remember that too much pressure to both sides of the neck at the same time can cause you to feel lightheaded or even blackout. (Pressor receptors in the carotid arteries).

David.
Old 19 December 2002, 16:51   #63

Well David

I did what you said, and BOY am I in trouble with The Boss

Marjory came home and found me with the tube of KY jelly and a rubber ring! Try explaining that one!

By the way, the saucepan is now broken. She hit me on the head with it.

Still thanks for the advice anyway.

Keith (ouch) Hart
Old 19 December 2002, 18:28   #64
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Hart
. She hit me on the head with it.
Keith (ouch) Hart
Strange! Exactly the same happened to me!

David(never confuse KY with Bostik)Manning
Old 20 December 2002, 03:08   #65

Town: N.C.
rubber seal fandango...

I just hope she doesn't read the Orkney thread...then you'd be bacon...if she ever thought you'd take up golf...
Old 20 December 2002, 10:34   #66

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
I was making inquiries

about dru suits (I find them very expenssive) and I also asked my mates in SAfrica.
They said that they can pick one up for zar 600 about £40.00 breathabl;e, lined etc etc.
I have ordered one and if is any good amnd stands the cold of the UK climate will let you know. But from what they say the dry suits are for their winter (which is quite cold).
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2002, 11:14   #67

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Trust me Manos, I go back home (to Cape Town) most every year and the dry-suits in SA, which I have tried on and tested do not come anywhere near the Gill, Ravenspring and Typhoon offerings in the UK. You get what you are prepared to pay for. It is my opinion that you have to pay a healthy amount to get something half decent. There are no shortcuts unfortunately.
Old 20 December 2002, 11:21   #68

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
..and I thought I was on something good

well unfortunately will have to fish out money for dry suits for 4 XL/XXL, M/L (she sais is M but I have better jdgement , S and one for the 4 year old ). Bl...y H....l
Cheers Charles but have already ordered one for me (to see what it is) and it should be here just after Christmas
If I knew this earlier I would n't spent £ 40 on top.
Never mind LOLOL
Old 20 December 2002, 16:26   #69

Don't you just LOVE people who after you have spent £400.00 on something tell you they have a mate who can get the same thing for £40.00!

Keith (where are they BEFORE you buy it?) Hart
Old 20 December 2002, 16:32   #70
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Actually Keith, I think Charles is saying to Manos "You have just wasted £40, sorry but you need to spend £400"-which is not quite the same thing at all.
I guess even if the SA ones are not very good, they will do as a backup. So I dont think Manos is that badly off after all. And if the SA suits are "quite good"-then Manos has a bargain!!
Old 20 December 2002, 17:13   #71

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Hmmmm, we'll see. I sincerely hope I have to 'eat my post'!
Old 21 December 2002, 08:34   #72

ALL WILL BE REVEALED

After the Christmas hols when I get the dry suit.
I just hope that Charles is wrong
Sorry Keith didn't know about the dry suit bargains in SAfrica before otherwise would had let you know.
I just discovered that the suits are cheap when I asked Pieter (my mate in Falcon) about dry suits in SAfrica.
He told me about the suits and that, as he says, they are so good that they use them for racing also in the winter time.
So we will just have to wait and see. Shall we?

..... and he wispers (do hope that Charles is wrong) LOLOl
Old 21 December 2002, 08:51   #73

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Re: ALL WILL BE REVEALED

Quote:
Originally posted by Manos
...they are so good...we will just have to wait and see...
Sounds like you're going to be "modelling" this drysuit for all to see at Plymouth in May
Old 21 December 2002, 10:40   #74

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Manos,

I don't want to sound stupid, but are you sure you are not just buying the drysuite liner, i.e. the woolly under garment. IMHO it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to get a drysuite for £40 unless it is stolen

Best you double check using your best South African language skills. Perhaps a drawing of a person in one of their garments going into the water, if they send this back you will know, if they send you this you are the winner and I am wrong

Pete

Oh and this one means you will drown in it
Old 21 December 2002, 12:37   #75

Flanker & Pepper

Flanker I have cheked it out is the proper dry suit. Have sent them a photo of a Typhoon and a Ravenspring just to make sure. This is not the inside (LOLOL ) but the proper thing (so they say any way). You see zar 600 is quite a bit of money in SAfrica but the exchange rate here is lousy.
Look is not going to cost me anything much with post and carriage total £ 50.00 (about) so what the heck.

Pepper you bet mate!! If the suit is suppose to be what they say it is well the 4 of us will have one in Plymouth LOLOL
Old 22 December 2002, 08:23   #76

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Manos, if they can supply good drysuits for £40 then you have yourself an import business. Ask them for some photos we are all quite curious and would probably take a gamble, afterall its only the price of two Ribnet burgies -

Pete
Old 22 December 2002, 09:45   #77

Pete 7

Pete I have asked. Right now is summer in SAfrica and the busiest season for them so they are a bot slow in responding. But will get photos and have the suit here after the Christmas hols so we can have a look @ it.
Will let everybody know if is good or not. If it is I think some makers in Europe would get cause they will lose quite a bit of bizs
Old 03 January 2003, 10:10   #78

CHECK THIS OUT

If you are still interested for buying a dry suit check out this site

http://www.wetsuit-factory.com/
Old 11 January 2003, 15:32   #79

can any one help p l e a s e

I have just got this dry suit (for the 1st time in my life as I always used semi dry or steamers).
I put it on and what the he... I couldn't breath. The seal that is round the neck just choked me slowly. Started to feel like I will faint.
Any way to cut the long story short, does any one know how do you overcome the tight seal problem round the neck??
If I shorten the seal a bit by cutting will that make any difference to the properties of the suit? Can I cut it at the seal??
Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11 January 2003, 15:41   #80

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Yes, Manos - you do need to trim the neck seal. I did this to my Ravenspring drysuit (after spending a weekend suffering!) and it's now much more comfy and still seals OK. But just do about a centimetre first - and see how it goes. You'll need very sharp scissors, (on the Ravenspring suits, there are concentric rings to follow). Then you'll be able to breathe AND stay dry!