Old 27 December 2011, 20:00   #1

Town: Cheltenham
Boat name: Marlin
Make: Solent
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
Mercury 50hp 1979 Impeller Service Issues

Hello all,

I recently "serviced" my water pump (new impeller, gaskets and face plate) and today decided to start her up. Whilst the engine started fine, there was no water pumping out the tell tale. I tried a few times (only for a few seconds each time) and then decided to take a look inside the leg to check the pipe was seated properly into the water pump housing.

Whilst doing this, 2 weird things happened.
1) The exhaust seal has disappeared (seriously!)
2) I found 2 new parts which I didn't see when servicing it (see photo). The one on the left is plastic, and the one on the right is rubber.

The serial number is 5336913.

Does anyone have any idea where the seal could have gone, and also what to do with the new parts I found up inside the leg? The splines are a perfect fit on the driveshaft, so obviously it's something to do with that but I can't find much information on in what order to thread them onto the splines (or whether I need to push them up into the part the drive shaft mates with).

It was dark when I did this so I've given up and will carry on tomorrow in the light. Very frustrating not knowing the position of the 2 parts and the whereabouts of the missing exhaust seal!

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	64602  
Old 28 December 2011, 07:25   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Just before I writre loads not related to your engine, I assume you have a "clamnshell" (wraparound cowl)?

If memory serves right one essentially seals the spline where it engages with the powerhead (usually sticks to the powerhead with grease & promptly gets knocked off as you push the shaft back up the leg!) , the other I think is on the water tube and stops it rattling against something. I should warn you I am going from memory here after not a lot of sleep!

Also I assume you were running on muffs? I've never had a great telltale on muffs with mine, but as long as you can see water pouring out of other random places like the prop hub, you'll be fine for a minute or two.
Old 28 December 2011, 09:02   #3

Town: Cheltenham
Boat name: Marlin
Make: Solent
Engine: Suzuki DF70
Hello - and many thanks for the reply. Yes, it is a wraparound cowl (blue band). And no - it was in a tank rather than on muffs.

I've solved one of the mysteries - the seal in indeed still in place. It was just camouflaged with grease and lack of daylight. Phew. I thought I had lost the plot (not that this concludes otherwise).

I have been looking on google, and the best thing I've found is this:
More fun.... Drive Shaft Spline Seal. How's this look?

Do you think the 2 parts could be the equivalent of these 2? One is plastic (same as the metal stopper) and one is rubber (same as the seal)...?

Does anyone know if these are standard parts on an old mercury? If so, should I thread them onto the driveshaft and then insert? Clearly trying to position them in the powerhead would be nearly impossible, especially with my sausage fingers.

Thanks
James