Old 23 December 2010, 17:45   #1

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Marine Scene

Has anyone else had dealings with this company?

After checking their website I ordered 2 pairs of Offshore Trousers for me & Mrs T as Xmas presents to us in advance of getting the new rib and braving the elements more.Their websire claimed to have both items "in stock", whereas most other pople were out of stock of the trouses I wanted - the XM5000 trouser.

Ordered & paid by cc on 2 Dec. Nothing had arrived by 16 Dec so chased and got reply "will ring you back" didn't. Called again on 17th - and was told they'd have to chase the order with the supplier on Monday.

They did ring on Monday to say was told they had 1 pair being sent from Musto, but the XMs were awaited from the warehouse in France & wouldn't be here until some time in the new year!

Is it unreasonable for me to expect that if someone says they have stuff "available" or" in stock" that they actually have it? By the way,they were quick enough to process my cc payment on 2 Dec, before they had procured or despatched the items!

LT
Old 23 December 2010, 18:07   #2

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi LT, sorry to hear about your hassle with your order and I would certainly side with yourself with regards to your understanding of the status of your order. I can only say that I have had many dealings with them and have never had any cause for concern and the goods were always deivered on time quickly.
Hope you get sorted out.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2010, 18:26   #3

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
I ordered some Musto gear from them a while ago. Website said it was all in stock unlike a few others I tried first. Turned out that was all bollix.

This seems to becoming more and more common place, companies showing every item as in stock when in actual fact they're just buying it all in to order
Old 23 December 2010, 18:26   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Hi LT, sorry to hear about your hassle with your order and I would certainly side with yourself with regards to your understanding of the status of your order. I can only say that I have had many dealings with them and have never had any cause for concern and the goods were always deivered on time quickly.
Hope you get sorted out.
Second that, never had any bother with them...
Alot of retailers hold very minimal stock these days....
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2010, 18:55   #5

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I'm glad others have had good service - however is it acceptable to claim to to have items in stock when you haven't? - rates somewhere between disengenuous at the least to dishonest
at worst in my book- especially when people will buy on availability.

And as for taking the money up front and not communicating a service issue....not really on
Old 23 December 2010, 18:55   #6

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Its crap that people say stuff is in stock when it isn't but alot of people seem to be doing it now.
Wouldn't expect anything quick this time of year!
Old 23 December 2010, 19:02   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Do they have a Brick-and-mortar storefront?

A lot of on-line retailers work all on-line from their homes, having goods drop-shipped from either warehouses or manufacturers. They, much like you, are at the mercy of others' stock assessments. Not that that makes it right; just an explanation.

jky
Old 24 December 2010, 03:37   #8

Town: reading&st.davids.
Boat name: scaramouche
Make: osprey eagle 5.6
Engine: 90 yam outboard/4hp
MMSI: 235082768
Send a message via Yahoo to tumbleweed41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Do they have a Brick-and-mortar storefront?

A lot of on-line retailers work all on-line from their homes, having goods drop-shipped from either warehouses or manufacturers. They, much like you, are at the mercy of others' stock assessments. Not that that makes it right; just an explanation.

jky
They do have a store in Cardiff,South wales.Never dealt with them though.
Mailspeed marine have an unusual way of doing things too.They don't seem to have much in stock so when you order, the stuff is sent direct from the supplier rather than mailspeed themselves.This threw me at first when i ordered from them but at least the goods turned up.
I would recommend Scotts of langholm and the sailing clothing store for good service when buying clothing.They each had what they said they had and it turned up in a reasonable time and there was no problem if it didn't fit.The items were exchanged hassle free
Old 24 December 2010, 09:59   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
however is it acceptable to claim to to have items in stock when you haven't? -
~I must admit I do it sometimes but only if I'm 100% certain I can get it within 24hrs, helps minimize stock held etc...
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2010, 14:34   #10

Town: Chichester
Length: no boat
It is against the terms of their merchant agreement with their credit card processor to take payment before goods are dispatched. Also against the law I believe.
Old 24 December 2010, 18:58   #11

Town: Morecambe
Boat name: Various
Make: Various
Length: 10m +
Engine: Various
I ordered 4 items last Sunday 19th Dec, got an e-mail yesterday (23rd) to say the goods had been dispatched, I'm offshore Holland at the moment, so not sure if they have arrived or not, but I would have been serverley P off if they had not been in stock after being informed by the website that they were, and would not have used them again.
Old 25 December 2010, 09:34   #12

Town: Morecambe
Boat name: Various
Make: Various
Length: 10m +
Engine: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell View Post
I ordered 4 items last Sunday 19th Dec, got an e-mail yesterday (23rd) to say the goods had been dispatched, I'm offshore Holland at the moment, so not sure if they have arrived or not, but I would have been serverley P off if they had not been in stock after being informed by the website that they were, and would not have used them again.
Delivered 24th Christamas Eve !!!
Old 13 February 2012, 22:49   #13
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Hello

I've just had the same experience myself with Marine Scene:

21/02/2012 Ordered life jacket
31/01/2012 Nothing heard so enquired as to status and told that day "The jacket should be with you early next week."
10/02/2012 Still not arrived
13/02/2012 Still not arrived, no token discount, or minor freebie etc for further delays etc. Due to that and not being kept informed without asking, I cancelled the order. Was just about to order a chart plotter too....

In all fairness, it may be that there was a delay in them getting the life jacket from Crewsaver - but all the same, just being kept informed about the delay would have made me feel far happier to order from them again. If I had been told early on there was a 3 week+ delay or no stock, I would have been fine.

But a happy ending - I've just ordered one from Marine Chandlery - Marine Supplies and Sailing Products for only a few pounds more including a free re-arm kit. They were really helpful and assured me they had the life jacket in stock, so fingers crossed.

Hope this helps

Steve
Old 17 February 2012, 15:55   #14
RIBnet supporter

Just a quick update...

Lifejacket arrived today here in Orkney by surface transport, less than 4 days after placing the order. That's good going for here when not by air.

Marine Chandlery - Marine Supplies and Sailing Products will be getting my business again :o)

Best wishes

Steve
Old 19 February 2012, 15:31   #15

Make: Zodiac
Engine: 9.9 Hosses!
I've had a similar issue with a certain megastore, first sending out the wrong lifejackets then taking an age to get them returned and now waiting on the proper replacements, and not one apology so far about the whole thing.

Ordered another lifejacket from marine scene arrived in 3days and a follow up email make sure all was ok and by far the best price about for what I ordered.

Living not near the coast doesn't give a lot of choice for physical shopping

Nick
Old 19 February 2012, 17:54   #16

Town: Ebbw Vale, Gwent
Boat name: Seabay
Make: Avon, Bonwitco
Engine: 4,25,35 Johnsons
Marine scene is our local store Penarth.

I always feel when you go in the shop that your not really welcome. The staff lack basic manners handing over £500+ for a chartplotter and you don't get as much as a Thank You. Just aswell Force 4 is also just down the road, So only go to them as a last resort. I believe the have a distrubution place at Pothcawl.
Old 19 February 2012, 18:03   #17
RIBnet supporter

Hello all

I must admit it wasn't as much the delay with Marine Scene, but it being left to me to chase the order each time. Once it didn't come by the second date they gave, a quick apologetic update email would have made such a difference.

While the lady I dealt with was pleasant enough, I did end up with a feeling that they were doing me a favour by selling to me, rather than trying to keep me happy.

The trouble is I think these days for such stores /attitudes is that you generally get such good communication from, eg, Amazon and many eBay sellers, that a 3 week delay with the vendor not taking the initiative to keep you informed really doesn't cut it now.

Prices are so keen now people need to compete on service too.

Anyway, I hope this helps others - have a good week.

Steve
Old 21 February 2012, 21:01   #18

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: 90hp OB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabay
Marine scene is our local store Penarth.

I always feel when you go in the shop that your not really welcome. The staff lack basic manners handing over £500+ for a chartplotter and you don't get as much as a Thank You. Just aswell Force 4 is also just down the road, So only go to them as a last resort. I believe the have a distrubution place at Pothcawl.
I'd second this. Force 4 exceptionally helpfull, cheerful and make you feel valued, Marine-scene make you feel like you are using up their valuable time and you are an inconvenience to them.

You can guess where I go!

Mike
Old 22 February 2012, 07:20   #19

Length: 7m +
Ive noticed this on numerous occasions with many online retailers, website states as being in stock, you wait and wait and then phone up and they say they are waiting delivery, its very annoying, especially some online retailers who dont even have a phone number available.
Old 26 February 2012, 15:09   #20

Town: Ebbw Vale, Gwent
Boat name: Seabay
Make: Avon, Bonwitco
Engine: 4,25,35 Johnsons
Went to the Pennarth shop today only to find it was closed and up for rent. Looks like they are concentrating on the Porthcawl base.