Old 05 May 2021, 20:21   #1

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Low profile bulge pump.

I have a very shallow deck bilge approx 2.5inches deep.

So far I have used 2 whale supersub smart. The things used to get stuck on and flatten my battery.

Next came 2 rule lopros. These seem to last about two years each and then the manual override fails. Also these things get air locked and need a shake sometimes to trigger an auto run. I have had to use these on the timed setting as they don’t detect the water level and trigger.

It’s time to replace a lopro again. Completely packed up. I am wondering if there are any alternatives, for example a remote style pump or an alternative low profile pump. Either auto or manual and some sort of float switch maybe.

Any ideas appreciated. I saw a recent post with the idea of a shower tank, I could potentially replum the deck drains into a tank if it will fit in my larger bilge also.

Thanks in advance. Gt
Old 06 May 2021, 09:39   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: ORCA III
Make: XS500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 60hp
Check out Whale pumps from Force 4.
Old 06 May 2021, 10:00   #3

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I use the Johnson pumps with the built in solid state sensor.

I find mechanical float switches are OK on yachts and pacific 22s
But on something like your scorpion, a revenger - high performance stuff that "gets on top" rather than "goes through", the mechanical float valves hammer themselves into instant death - so the Johnson set up is nice being completely solid state. It's also a nice and compact setup for the stated flow capacity.

It's also a packaged setup - which I built a little stainless bracket (I ditched the included plasic bracket you can see in the 2nd pic) for so I didn't need to drill any holes in the pad (it's balsa and I wanted no holes in it) - just a couple of holes in the transom. Still not ideal, but rather that with some goop than into the balsa.

Not exactly what you are asking, but hopefully useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2206.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	137221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2182.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	137222  
Old 06 May 2021, 12:52   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
this would be my choice

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Rule/LoPro-Bilge-Pump/GMT
Old 06 May 2021, 21:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I use the Johnson pumps with the built in solid state sensor.

I find mechanical float switches are OK on yachts and pacific 22s
But on something like your scorpion, a revenger - high performance stuff that "gets on top" rather than "goes through", the mechanical float valves hammer themselves into instant death - so the Johnson set up is nice being completely solid state. It's also a nice and compact setup for the stated flow capacity.

It's also a packaged setup - which I built a little stainless bracket (I ditched the included plasic bracket you can see in the 2nd pic) for so I didn't need to drill any holes in the pad (it's balsa and I wanted no holes in it) - just a couple of holes in the transom. Still not ideal, but rather that with some goop than into the balsa.

Not exactly what you are asking, but hopefully useful.
Looks tidy. Won’t fit my bilge. I agree mechanical switches won’t last, but neither do the electronic bilges.
Old 07 May 2021, 07:16   #6

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
What has killed all my electronic bilge pumps has been being left in place over the winter and either frozen up or being left submerged in rain water. Mine sits in the transom well and is now on a stainless bracket that raises it above the level of the trunk and mean it stays dry over winter. If you don't have a trunk, would be worth considering installing your bilge pump so it's easily removable (or at least re-locatable somewhere dry) when the boat is unattended.
If you leave it unattended afloat that might of course be a different thing!
My pumps seem to last a lot longer now
Old 07 May 2021, 07:56   #7

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
I have two Attwood Saharas (mechanical float switch), I also fitted a 3 way switch for each pump so I can check they are working.

They've been ok so far, although the plastic basket which holds them in place is made of terrible brittle plastic which breaks too easily. I purchased a spare pump and new basket from Poland last year because I've broken the plastic twice when I remove the pumps for cleaning.

I've been thinking of a way to replace the basket with a SS holder.

Old 08 May 2021, 09:56   #8

This is what I arrived too. That is a closed shallow bilge that drains the lower level of deck water through the stainless drain. That’s a lopro pump on the floor of the bilge. It only fits where the hatch is.

Thinking about the comments, I think freezing and being submerged are part of the problem. Equally I find the waterproof heat shrink connections eventually fail, despite me heat shrinking over the top with adhesive lining.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C5BB6D68-E0F0-4315-B387-22CE56EE25B8.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	137267  
Old 09 May 2021, 07:15   #9

Yup, that'll do it.
Assuming the boat isn't left afloat (when you'd definitely want the pump operational), can you rig it so you can lift the pump out to somewhere dry without having to disconnect it? I have to say that doesn't look that easy with that setup?
If at all possible your electrical connections should always be made somewhere they're not going to get submerged - as you've found out even waterproof heat shrink isn't waterproof! Having had the same issue myself, all my transom connections are now in an IP67 junction box half way up the transom with all wiring in the bottom of the boat being continuous with no joints
Old 09 May 2021, 20:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Tallis View Post
Yup, that'll do it.
Assuming the boat isn't left afloat (when you'd definitely want the pump operational), can you rig it so you can lift the pump out to somewhere dry without having to disconnect it? I have to say that doesn't look that easy with that setup?
If at all possible your electrical connections should always be made somewhere they're not going to get submerged - as you've found out even waterproof heat shrink isn't waterproof! Having had the same issue myself, all my transom connections are now in an IP67 junction box half way up the transom with all wiring in the bottom of the boat being continuous with no joints
I was trying to count pumps today. I think this is number 3 or 4. In 5 years maybe.

I had another idea. I have straight through scuppers that are for a flooded deck. But they only catch water over an inch maybe.

So this middle bilge well drains the everyday rainwater. If I lifted it out for winter I might save pump but have a small pond. I could fit a hose to the deck drains and run them between deck and tank and drop the hose in the aft well. Eliminating this middle bilge. The rear bilge has a rule 500 in it and is drained via a drain plug when on land. My only concern is that is where the battery lives, although significantly higher.

Similar to this post but without a shower container as I have no space. https://www.rib.net/forum/f8/deck-drainage-85739.html
Old 10 May 2021, 06:48   #11

Sounds like a plan[emoji4]