Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 May 2021, 02:55   #1
Member
 
gtflash's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,673
Wind in small persons face

Anyone come up with any ideas to keep the wind out of the small persons face (aged 5). Unfortunately it seems to be ruining the experience for my daughter despite an all in one and hood up/hat etc
__________________

__________________
gtflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 03:16   #2
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,110
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Anyone come up with any ideas to keep the wind out of the small persons face (aged 5). Unfortunately it seems to be ruining the experience for my daughter despite an all in one and hood up/hat etc
Ski Goggles would be a good start....many available in kids sizes
__________________

__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 03:18   #3
Member
 
pilotwillie's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 241
If on jockeys, sit them facing backwards. Mine did that. They still get to enjoy the view.
__________________
pilotwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 03:24   #4
Member
 
SimonCh's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yammy 90
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 360
Are you able to fashion a windscreen? You wouldn't believe the difference it makes
__________________
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 03:53   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Nostromo
Make: Arrow
Length: 8m +
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,494
John Kennett used to have a line in some facemasks that helped with this.
https://www.rib.net/forum/f8/save-ph...cko-17364.html
https://savephace.com/

In his case, it was mostly to cover up his John Merrick looks, but for everyone else it was good wind protection.

Obviously a long time ago now - so you'd have to search around a bit to see if there's still a UK distributor of them.

Alternatively, a gecko helmet with a visor.
Or even a proper little full face motorcycle helmet.

A bit of head protection on little people is always good.
__________________
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 04:25   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 150 HPDI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotwillie View Post
If on jockeys, sit them facing backwards. Mine did that. They still get to enjoy the view.
Like he said^^
Face backwards! Also more secure as they can hold onto the backrest.
Keep a close eye on them though - for some reason lots of small kids seem to fall asleep with the motion of the boat, even at speed
__________________
Jon Tallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 04:38   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,389
RIBase
We've equipped my 6 year old with a Sealskin hat: https://www.sealskinz.com/products/w...ld-weather-hat and a neck tube.

Goggles would be the next port of call.

Out of interest what all in one do you use? We have a Trespass 'snowsuit' which is generally OK but isn't up to withstanding large volumes of water. I bought a Gill Junior Coastal OS3 jacket yesterday at Shipmates in Cowes (expensive lunch!) and we'll see how that goes. Sailing gear for kids less than about 11 seems quite difficult to get.

I'm only dealing with an under propped Pac 22 though so a Scorpion might be another kettle of fish when it comes to wind blast.
__________________
GuyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 04:45   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,077
Is it the boat in your avatar?
If so, doesn't appear the jockey seat idea is an option.

Windscreens do an excellent job but is your console a bit low for that to be an option?

What do you wear as children often like to wear something that looks like what the grownups/everybody else are wearing.

Is there such a thing as a child's bicycle helmet with the option of a clear visor?
__________________
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 04:59   #9
Member
 
gtflash's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,673
Hi all.

No jockeys. Twin suspension bucket seats and a rear seat for 3/4. Teens sit infront of console on bean bags and are well protected from elements and have a tube handle each(console is a long way aft so they are more rearward than most jockey seats)

Small person sits in the wife’s lap in bucket seat with trespass snow suit on which generally works. I don’t have a windscreen, I want one but got let down last year by a local sign writter. Although she is only 4 she explains it is wind in ears and eyes, she then doesn’t want to watch or look out and enjoy which ruins things for her. We only go slow 20-25mph with littlin onboard. The life jacket she has is also quite bulky non inflating so adds to her discomfort with all the clobber on.

Sealskin and goggles or a helmet might be an easy fix until I can be bothered to make a windscreen template again!!

I try not to dress like a ribber if I am honest but have salopettes and coat in lockers.

Appreciate all ideas so far.

I am fighting a loosing cause with my rib. The wife wants a boat with a lid but I’m not ready to let go of such a fast well handling boat yet. The family days out are always steady jaunts and not as exciting as I would like to drive still. Some tempura relief is all I require until I give in and sell the boat I suppose.
__________________
gtflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 05:12   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,389
RIBase
We've also just moved away from a non-inflating lifejacket to one of these

https://www.marinesuperstore.com/lif...ior-lifejacket

and he reports it is much better than the previous bulky one plus it is like the one his big brother wears.
__________________
GuyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 05:21   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Tallis View Post
Like he said^^
Face backwards! Also more secure as they can hold onto the backrest.
Keep a close eye on them though - for some reason lots of small kids seem to fall asleep with the motion of the boat, even at speed
Yep our 3 year old likes to sit backwards but as soon as the boats moving he falls asleep on the chest of whoevers in front of him the 5 year old sits on the helm jockey in front of the driver helping to drive if the weather is good keeps him occupied & hes behind the screen so sheltered. He gets turfed out if its not ideal conditions though
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 05:27   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Nostromo
Make: Arrow
Length: 8m +
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,494
My suggestion of a full face helmet wasn't random.

The difference in perception between running the same boat at the same speed with a helmet on vs without is profound - as I'm sure any bikers here can assert too.

The warmth, the sound insulation the wind protection and the splash protection - it creates a sense of security.
__________________
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 05:28   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Hi all.
I am fighting a loosing cause with my rib. The wife wants a boat with a lid but I’m not ready to let go of such a fast well handling boat yet. The family days out are always steady jaunts and not as exciting as I would like to drive still. Some tempura relief is all I require until I give in and sell the boat I suppose.
I sympathise.
Had the same with cars.
My Reliant Scimitar had to go as it didn't have 4 doors so made loading our small children into car seats awkward.
My eldest's Renault Megane Sport recently had to go for the same reason!
__________________
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 05:40   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 675
A bow dodger made of clear material might do the trick. I have one on my sib and was amazed at the difference it makes
__________________
smallribber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 07:49   #15
Member
 
paulhe35's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Whitley Bay
Boat name: Magnum
Make: Revenger
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar Diesel 315hp
MMSI: 232020638
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 15
RIBase
I use these.



https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


Amazon say currently out of stock but there may be similar available and in childrens sizes.


__________________
paulhe35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 10:13   #16
Member
 
lakelandterrier's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,724
If taking a 5 year out then you need to tailor the day's boating to their capability...long high speed runs probably on cold days not a great idea, pootling around a river far more engaging at that age.

When mine were that age, what we did a family was very different from what we do now (and often what I wanted to do then). Days on the water with young children are very different to what you and older children will enjoy.

To be honest if a young child's not enjoying the experience, no-one else on the boat will be!

Remember a 5 year old will grow out of anything pretty quickly.
__________________
Member of the Macmillan Round the Isle of Wight Club
lakelandterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 11:07   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,720
RIBase
Mine are quit e happy with a combination of gath helmet with visor, buff with clear work glasses or neoprene mask with hat.

Keeps the wind off and the warmth in. We used the plastimo foam jackets until the were big enough for an auto inflate. Great handles to keep hold of when moving underway.

Kit wise it's Dare 2be kit from Go outdoors or Decathalons own kit. Warm, kids sizea and cheap enough.
__________________
Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 12:30   #18
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,110
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
U
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Hi all.

No jockeys. Twin suspension bucket seats and a rear seat for 3/4. Teens sit infront of console on bean bags and are well protected from elements and have a tube handle each(console is a long way aft so they are more rearward than most jockey seats)

Small person sits in the wife’s lap in bucket seat with trespass snow suit on which generally works. I don’t have a windscreen, I want one but got let down last year by a local sign writter. Although she is only 4 she explains it is wind in ears and eyes, she then doesn’t want to watch or look out and enjoy which ruins things for her. We only go slow 20-25mph with littlin onboard. The life jacket she has is also quite bulky non inflating so adds to her discomfort with all the clobber on.

Sealskin and goggles or a helmet might be an easy fix until I can be bothered to make a windscreen template again!!

I try not to dress like a ribber if I am honest but have salopettes and coat in lockers.

Appreciate all ideas so far.

I am fighting a loosing cause with my rib. The wife wants a boat with a lid but I’m not ready to let go of such a fast well handling boat yet. The family days out are always steady jaunts and not as exciting as I would like to drive still. Some tempura relief is all I require until I give in and sell the boat I suppose.
In that case a Windscreen should be Top Priority!
Keep the RIB...heavy...slamming...thirsty....bad handling/sea keeping Hardboat will just give you other problems to contend with..A decent screen will make a Big difference!
......Warm wether will soon be with us
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 12:50   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Nostromo
Make: Arrow
Length: 8m +
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,494


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
...heavy...slamming...thirsty....bad handling/sea keeping Hardboat will just give you other problems to contend with..
__________________
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2021, 12:56   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,676
RIBase
Snorkel mask. he can have a look underwater when you stop too
__________________

__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.