Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 15 November 2018, 21:56   #21

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
While iom trips are something for the future get a capable boat now, have you done a PB2? If not get one booked get some water time under your belt many training cenrtres use runs and you can always ask if they have a particular size or type of boat before booking

Your probably more into the “serious” RIB category rather than the “leisure” rib market.

Everyboat is for sale and don’t be afraid to haggle recent experience selling is that brokers are clueless and often the higher priced ones will have more haggle room a boat advertised for £7k could be easily in budget and could well be worth £7k next year in summer or £3k......
Old 16 November 2018, 06:31   #22

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
While iom trips are something for the future get a capable boat now, have you done a PB2? If not get one booked get some water time under your belt many training cenrtres use runs and you can always ask if they have a particular size or type of boat before booking

Your probably more into the “serious” RIB category rather than the “leisure” rib market.

Everyboat is for sale and don’t be afraid to haggle recent experience selling is that brokers are clueless and often the higher priced ones will have more haggle room a boat advertised for £7k could be easily in budget and could well be worth £7k next year in summer or £3k......

Why do you say every boat is for sale. I have over 8 and none are. It is not always about money you know
Old 17 November 2018, 07:16   #23

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
my ribquest 585 with 90 suzuki on her two up 70 ltrs fuel would do 45 mph in perfect conditions still in the mid 30 mph four up never struggled ever kept up with all the boats on the ERR trips
Nice boat Jeff. I do like Ribquest.

Back to the OP. Everyone is speaking about larger boats and engines cabable of an IOM trip. Just where are these boats for sale at £5k?

All I've come across are old boats and unrealistic prices. There are two Tornados on FAFB. One with twin Yammie 25hp engines (strange set-up) and one with a Mercury 60hp.

Got a friend that used to have a Tornado 5.8 and Mercury 115hp. They used to use it as a dive boat and it seemed very capable, although it maybe looked a bit utilitarian, which I quite like.
Old 17 November 2018, 07:24   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post

Back to the OP. Everyone is speaking about larger boats and engines cabable of an IOM trip. Just where are these boats for sale at £5k?

All I've come across are old boats and unrealistic prices. There are two Tornados on FAFB. One with twin Yammie 25hp engines (strange set-up) and one with a Mercury 60hp.

Got a friend that used to have a Tornado 5.8 and Mercury 115hp. They used to use it as a dive boat and it seemed very capable, although it maybe looked a bit utilitarian, which I quite like.
Very true about what you can get for £5K Which is why I said go for the £3K one he has found it will get him started
Old 17 November 2018, 07:48   #25

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Looking for the 'right' RIB - help please

As previously stated, whatever you buy first is unlikely to be "the" boat. Over 15 years of evolving RIB ownership I finally have a RIB that I am perfectly content with, in fact I love it. I've lost count of how many boats I've had, from large RIBs with twin engines to tiny things with tiller steered engines. All at different times in my life when circumstances and priorities have been different. Last boat was a 7.4m Redbay with a cuddy cabin which I thought was going to be "the" boat; weekends away, cross channel trips, exploring Europe. In reality I had the boat for about three years and probably used it less than five times. It was a total faff to trail around, launch, recover etc. Current boat is an immaculate 4m Avon Searider with a 40hp Yamaha. Absolutely love it; this year (despite working abroad - boat lives in Norfolk) I've managed to have a week bombing around on the Solent in August, a month towing it across five different countries in Europe, and numerous other random days out. It's all so easy and a fantastic little craft for me + 1.

The moral of the story is, until you actually buy "something" and give it a go you won't start to realise what actually works for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9892.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	127695
Old 17 November 2018, 07:55   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
As previously stated, whatever you buy first is unlikely to be "the" boat. Over 15 years of evolving RIB ownership I finally have a RIB that I am perfectly content with, in fact I love it. I've lost count of how many boats I've had, from large RIBs with twin engines to tiny things with tiller steered engines. All at different times in my life when circumstances and priorities have been different. Last boat was a 7.4m Redbay with a cuddy cabin which I thought was going to be "the" boat; weekends away, cross channel trips, exploring Europe. In reality I had the boat for about three years and probably used it less than five times. It was a total faff to trail around, launch, recover etc. Current boat is an immaculate 4m Avon Searider with a 40hp Yamaha. Absolutely love it; this year (despite working abroad - boat lives in Norfolk) I've managed to have a week bombing around on the Solent in August, a month towing it across five different countries in Europe, and numerous other random days out. It's all so easy and a fantastic little craft for me + 1.

The moral of the story is, until you actually buy "something" and give it a go you won't start to realise what actually works for you.
Spot on

I love my 4.5 m Narwhal with 60 hp 2 stroke on the back so easy to use a quite capable
Old 17 November 2018, 08:43   #27

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post

[emoji106]
Old 17 November 2018, 14:20   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post

Ribtec 5.3 90hp 2 stroke yam £4500
Sea rider 5.4 75 2 stroke mariner £3000
Osprey 5.6m 4 stroke yam (80hp may be under powered) £5500
Gemini 5.5m 125hp 2 stroke £4450
Zodiac pro 5.5 90hp 2 stroke £4500
Humber 4.5m 50hp yam 4 stroke £5500

That’s from a quick scan all up boats all private listings at advertised price....
Old 17 November 2018, 14:29   #29

Town: New Ross
Boat name: SIRIUS
Make: Ribcraft 4.8M
Engine: 60HP Mariner EFi
MMSI: 250 005566
RIBase
also there is a ribcraft 4.8m for sale on ebay at the moment little over your budget, but they are great little boats

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ribcraft-...53.m1438.l2649

Not mine and nothing to do with me
Old 17 November 2018, 22:41   #30

Also a 6m BWM with a 115hp 2 stroke for £5000
Old 18 November 2018, 07:40   #31

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Ribtec 5.3 90hp 2 stroke yam £4500
Sea rider 5.4 75 2 stroke mariner £3000
Osprey 5.6m 4 stroke yam (80hp may be under powered) £5500
Gemini 5.5m 125hp 2 stroke £4450
Zodiac pro 5.5 90hp 2 stroke £4500
Humber 4.5m 50hp yam 4 stroke £5500

That’s from a quick scan all up boats all private listings at advertised price....
Good job.
Old 18 November 2018, 15:44   #32

Town: South Cumbria
Boat name: None yet
Make: None yet
Length: 5m +
Thanks for all the responses, everyone!

As has been recommended, I'm going to take a friend to look at any fairly local ones that are in budget between now and Christmas, and see what's what. Lake and coastal use for now will be fine, with the possibility of upgrading later.

I haven't done my PB2 yet, been trying to find places that will do it - looks like Glasson Dock may be my nearest coastal one.
Old 18 November 2018, 15:56   #33

RYA have a handy tool https://www.rya.org.uk/Pages/wheres-...st.aspx?type=1

Depends on how south you are but BLCC might be worth checking out http://blcclub.co.uk
Old 21 November 2018, 18:25   #34

Just seen a handy looking 2004 Humber 5.5 with mercury 60efi £4K on a trailer
Old 21 November 2018, 20:42   #35

Quote:
Just seen a handy looking 2004 Humber 5.5 with mercury 60efi £4K on a trailer
60 on a 5.5 is not enough omuph
Old 21 November 2018, 22:07   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
60 on a 5.5 is not enough omuph
I concur but it’s out there ex broads Boat so spent most of its life at 5knts....
Old 22 November 2018, 11:28   #37

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1098 View Post
I haven't done my PB2 yet, been trying to find places that will do it - looks like Glasson Dock may be my nearest coastal one.
We did our PBL2s at Water Park, at the south end of Coniston. The first day was on the lake, the second out of Barrow to get the coastal endorsement. They are still listed as offering PBL2 on the RYA site so might be worth a call.

Water Park, Lakeland Adventure Centre, Nibthwaite, Ulverston, Cumbria, LA12 8DQ, UK
01229 885456

Phil
Old 22 November 2018, 12:40   #38

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1098 View Post
Thanks for all the responses, everyone!

As has been recommended, I'm going to take a friend to look at any fairly local ones that are in budget between now and Christmas, and see what's what. Lake and coastal use for now will be fine, with the possibility of upgrading later.

There’re a couple of training outfits on the Menai. Ask Chris Caton, he’ll know more. Not a million miles from you & a nice place to do it.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 15:52   #39

Seawake do them on the Menai I think and yes lovely place to go boating
Old 01 December 2018, 18:06   #40

This just popped up

http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/ribtec-...tml#post786922