Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 15 July 2015, 18:21   #1

Town: Scottish Borders
Boat name: Alchemy3
Make: SR4M
Length: 4m +
Engine: YAM 40
Looking for an SR4, what do you think of this?

Hi All,

Fairly long lurker here but just registered! Learned an awful lot from this forum and you seem like a great bunch!

I've been wondering about a rib for some time now, and decided an SR4 would fit the bill for a decent starter - small, fairly inexepensive and more importantly a good sea boat.

I bid on one last week but didn't meet the reserve - It's now popped up on apollo duck so could you gents have a look and tell me what you think? It says it's an Sr4 Deluxe. The engines a YAM 40HP but no PTT and theres a youtube video of it running on the ad.

A concern I would have is the console seems to be a DIY job, paint on marine ply.

Cheers!

Avon Searider 4.0m for sale UK, Avon boats for sale, Avon used boat sales, Avon Inflatable Boats For Sale Avon Searider SR4 Deluxe - Apollo Duck

EDIT: Alternatively there's one north of me on Gumtree - Sr4 with a Mercury 50, looks to be PTT and this one has two seats...

4m Avon rib with 50 hp engine | United Kingdom | Gumtree
Old 15 July 2015, 19:03   #2

Length: 3m +
Both don't look too shoddy for the money. Certainly seen worse sell for more.

Lack of PTT ... If you are coming ashore lots may annoy you. If you are trimming to adjust speed you will get used to not having it. However, the dolefins on the 40hp make me wonder what's not set up right. Brand new prop? What happened to the last one?

Wooden console... Seen worse. Needs to be seen in reality. Some people glass over a wooden frame - just because its not off the peg doesn't mean its bad.

If I had space to store it id have looked at buying the North Tyneside one coz its local...

Is there a line of damage on the hull from front to back or is it just dirt?

Like the two seats on the 50. Is that an older engine?
Old 15 July 2015, 20:13   #3

Town: Taunton
Make: Ring 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard
I think the merc 50 was Noah's auxiliary on the ark !!!! I wouldn't give 2k for a boat with a 30 yr old engine if not older on it . Really ????
Old 15 July 2015, 21:07   #4

Thanks for the advice.

Regarding the console, I think it looks ok, just wonder how well it's been attached and how they did it. The marks on the hull look like they are from the aft roller when trailering.

The seats on the other one look good though.

No idea the age of the Merc, looks shiny though TBH at this price point, surely you're going to have old engines though?

I've been keeping an eye out for ages for ribs fairly close to me and affordable - can't really go over 2K, and with either there is still a bit of kit I'd need before considering going out on the water, life jackets, anchors, flares, gps, vhf etc.
Old 15 July 2015, 21:12   #5

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by m22nly View Post
I think the merc 50 was Noah's auxiliary on the ark !!!! I wouldn't give 2k for a boat with a 30 yr old engine if not older on it . Really ????
+1

Mercs of this era were not exactly the best engines in the world (The straight 6 was the exception)

However 1980's Yamaha's were much better, simple, light and easy to fix. I'd happily buy the one with the Yammie, but, as noted, the seats and console on the other one look a lot better.
Old 15 July 2015, 22:13   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Both boats will originally have had the back to back 4 seats and the fabric foredeck. This foredeck has been cut off and home made or aftermarket seating fitted. It's a pretty common change.

The orange hulled boat will be probably 10 years or more older than the white hulled boat. Same for the engines. Blue band Mercurys were late 1970s/early 1980s iirc.
The Yamaha should be a better engine.

I'd go for the white hulled one and see how I get on with the console. If no good would keep an eye out for a genuine used Avon one and swap this in when I found one.
Old 16 July 2015, 11:06   #7

Thanks again for all the advice, I've gone for the Deluxe. Picking it up next week

Absoulutely thrilled to be joining the SR4 club!
Old 16 July 2015, 12:30   #8

Boat name: Son of a Beach
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: Mercury 50hp
Enjoy.
Old 16 July 2015, 13:00   #9

Town: Haddington
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: 50 Hp
Welcome to the club had mines for 5 weeks now and love it. Give me a shout if your up in East Lothian Port Seaton and North Berwick are good places to launch the SR4
Cheers
Lee
Old 16 July 2015, 14:26   #10

Town: Taunton
Make: Ring 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard
Good choice . Better trailer better engine better boat and less Money . No brainier really oh and probably a lot less hassle and breakdowns than the other one .

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Old 16 July 2015, 18:13   #11

Quote:
Good choice . Better trailer better engine better boat and less Money . No brainier really oh and probably a lot less hassle and breakdowns than the other one .
Yeah, I think I made the right choice

Quote:
Welcome to the club had mines for 5 weeks now and love it. Give me a shout if your up in East Lothian Port Seaton and North Berwick are good places to launch the SR4
Cheers
Lee
Cheers Lee, I saw your new boat thread a while back, was pretty jealous, it's a great looking boat. I may well be up that way at some point.

Currently planning on launching at Berwick initially because (A)It's the closest slip to me and (B)It's the only one I know with no launching fee's at all! I'll have Eyemouth and St Abbs to north and Holy Island and Farne Islands to south so good cruising grounds.