Old 11 February 2021, 08:56   #1

Town: Aberdovey
Boat name: Sea Bear
Make: Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Mariner 90
Launching in soft mud

Hi all, we have access to a very convenient slipway (in terms of proximity) and it would make life much easier if we could use it to launch....however, at almost all states of tide, it would involve driving the boat and trailer over at least 20m of very soft estuary mud. I have a Daihatsu Fourtrak with off-road tyres and got completely stuck trying and ended up getting towed out by a tractor...I haven't tried since. Any wisdom on what we could use to launch without breaking the bank? The farmer who kindly pulled me out even said that he wouldn't be that keen to drive his tractor into mud that soft!

Thanks for your help!
Old 11 February 2021, 09:11   #2

Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoughton View Post
Any wisdom on what we could use to launch without breaking the bank?
You'd probably need a small tracked vehicle like a Hagglunds. But, it would be cheaper to launch elsewhere.
Old 11 February 2021, 09:17   #3

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post
You'd probably need a small tracked vehicle like a Hagglunds. But, it would be cheaper to launch elsewhere.
+1

It's not going to happen - you'll end up losing a vehicle to the tide with ground conditions like that
Old 11 February 2021, 09:59   #4

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
+1

It's not going to happen - you'll end up losing a vehicle to the tide with ground conditions like that
^^^This.

Have you seen anyone else launching there & if so what do they do?
Old 11 February 2021, 10:31   #5

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Land Rover used Cuthbertson tracks.
Similar things are still available (Mattracks for one https://mattracks.co/tracks/trucks/) but the prices are eyewatering!
Old 11 February 2021, 10:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
^^^This.

Have you seen anyone else launching there & if so what do they do?
No - it's on private land but would mean boat storage, etc. would be so much easier...i'd wondered about getting some of those mats that they use on fields for music festivals and just rolling them out when we're actually there.
Old 11 February 2021, 11:07   #7

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
You don't say what size/weight your boat is but retrieval should be a cinch if you unhook the trailer from car and have a double winch setup and various lengths of thick rope to extend quickly fixing it via Carabina.

It wouldn't be possible single handed and someone would have to wear waders to connect boat to trailer and trailer to car. You'd have to winch the trailer out through the mud pulling off the bow of the boat, then when it's loaded winch the trailer back to the car and commence considerable washing down procedure. At least it's only 20m, the car would stay on safe ground.

My other thought is if it's worth hiring a skid-steer and periodically moving worst of the mud to one side downstream? Even putting a few tons of hardcore down would not break the bank. Maybe the farmer has machinery to facilitate? Photos would help us visualise.
Old 11 February 2021, 11:37   #8

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
+1

Always a Decent chance of that!...a couple launch sites like that on the Channel Coast near me either time for Dead High Water for Both launch and recovery or chose a better option is my advice...a long Muddy Beach is bad enough but with unforeseen problems and or deteriorating conditions everything is compounded and more inclined to go Tits up!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2021, 13:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
You don't say what size/weight your boat is but retrieval should be a cinch if you unhook the trailer from car and have a double winch setup and various lengths of thick rope to extend quickly fixing it via Carabina.

It wouldn't be possible single handed and someone would have to wear waders to connect boat to trailer and trailer to car. You'd have to winch the trailer out through the mud pulling off the bow of the boat, then when it's loaded winch the trailer back to the car and commence considerable washing down procedure. At least it's only 20m, the car would stay on safe ground.

My other thought is if it's worth hiring a skid-steer and periodically moving worst of the mud to one side downstream? Even putting a few tons of hardcore down would not break the bank. Maybe the farmer has machinery to facilitate? Photos would help us visualise.
Thanks - I can't find a decent photo and I'm not there at the moment. Sounds like I've got my answer really in that it's pretty tricky to manage. We had thought of a load of hardcore but it becomes quite a job, and perhaps not that sightly! I'll keep thinking! Thanks all for your help!
Old 11 February 2021, 14:24   #10

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Scull
If you do get into trouble on the mud you could always call the local emergency services to come and assist.......................
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4EE04C9F00000578-6033385-image-a-12_1533598834301.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	136267  
Old 11 February 2021, 14:33   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoughton View Post
Thanks - I can't find a decent photo and I'm not there at the moment. Sounds like I've got my answer really in that it's pretty tricky to manage. We had thought of a load of hardcore but it becomes quite a job, and perhaps not that sightly! I'll keep thinking! Thanks all for your help!
First few tides should blend in a hardcore ramp, it would limit the amount you can sink. Could actually look quite nice and the rubble's never going anywhere it shouldn't.

Another idea for launching/retrieving at higher waters is to have a really long drawbar extension. You could knock something up out of an old scaffold tube (as long as you can get) and weld a ball on one end with a hitch on the other. When not in use it can be secured at the launch site.
Old 11 February 2021, 16:41   #12

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
First few tides should blend in a hardcore ramp, it would limit the amount you can sink. Could actually look quite nice and the rubble's never going anywhere it shouldn't.

Another idea for launching/retrieving at higher waters is to have a really long drawbar extension. You could knock something up out of an old scaffold tube (as long as you can get) and weld a ball on one end with a hitch on the other. When not in use it can be secured at the launch site.

"Not going anywhere"??
If it's laid on top of mud apart from sinking .....if it's at ALL Tidal (like the rest of the UK it'll be covered/moved in no time! complete Waste of time and effort.
Just Move location.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2021, 17:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post

"Not going anywhere"??
If it's laid on top of mud apart from sinking .....if it's at ALL Tidal (like the rest of the UK it'll be covered/moved in no time! complete Waste of time and effort.
Just Move location.
It can't go on soft mud, that would make goop with stones. The top layer has to come off by machine, then hardcore is tracked onto the more solid stuff underneath. If not bodged then hardcore is not going anywhere. - Coming from a Letsdig18 subscriber. A great channel.

I don't know the location so am not hasty to agree/disagree it's a waste of effort. Many places are routinely dredged. Mud doesn't come back all at once.
Old 11 February 2021, 18:28   #14

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
Quote:
It can't go on soft mud, that would make goop with stones. The top layer has to come off by machine, then hardcore is tracked onto the more solid stuff underneath. If not bodged then hardcore is not going anywhere. - Coming from a Letsdig18 subscriber. A great channel.

I don't know the location so am not hasty to agree/disagree it's a waste of effort. Many places are routinely dredged. Mud doesn't come back all at once.
It would need to have a geotextile membrane underneath it to form a sort of raft, but even then it would be hopeless.

Unless you are proposing to dig sown 2 or 3 metres, I don’t think scraping off the top layer of soft mud will do anything. It will just expose more soft mud underneath.

You’ve also got the problem that the first ride will dislodge all your hardcore and start moving it.
Old 11 February 2021, 19:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
It would need to have a geotextile membrane underneath it to form a sort of raft, but even then it would be hopeless.

Unless you are proposing to dig sown 2 or 3 metres, I don’t think scraping off the top layer of soft mud will do anything. It will just expose more soft mud underneath.

You’ve also got the problem that the first ride will dislodge all your hardcore and start moving it.
Again we don't know the local conditions, but clay is waterproof and relatively solid, probably nowhere near 2 metres deep mud/silt sitting on clay. Hardcore embedded in clay won't dislodge. We are not comparing a peat bog here.
Old 11 February 2021, 20:23   #16

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Eve temporary road sections
Old 11 February 2021, 20:37   #17

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Eve temporary road sections

Nah! Anti-gravity ramps & hover boots[emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2021, 20:52   #18

RIBase
When we got a drivage machine bogged down down the mines we mixed fast setting cement with mud and drove over it tracked machine of course.
Old 11 February 2021, 20:56   #19

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
When we got a drivage machine bogged down down the mines we mixed fast setting cement with mud and drove over it tracked machine of course.

Aye, I’ve built more than one raft to get a stuck Dosco out of the clag.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2021, 22:04   #20

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Aye, I’ve built more than one raft to get a stuck Dosco out of the clag.