Old 16 June 2003, 15:42   #1
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
Knee Board

Myself and Gavin, have..... how could you say...... have 'come across' a knee board.

After getting excited at the prospects of trying to kill ourselves with this new toy., we came across a hugh problem with it......

HOW DO YOU GET ON TO THE BLOODY THING

I have seen pictures of prople on them, but how did they get there??. in the water we found it almost impossible to get in to, or onto it. And when we straped ourselves into it and slid in to the water from the rib, we ended up floting upside down!!!!

SO please help, We have not substained enough injurys yet from RIBS and hopfuly this will help
Old 16 June 2003, 16:10   #2

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Hahaha, I can sympathise - get the driver to start off slowly, just to pull you along while you lie on the thing, jump to you knees as he speeds up ever so slowly. The helmsman really needs to help you by 'reading' when to go faster or slower. As you get onto your knees, lean back, and if you have a velcro strap now is the time to fasten it over your legs as you kneel. The trick is to hop on your knees quickly from the prone position. I found it the easiest with the Hysucat as it throws hardly any wake at all.
God Luck!
Old 16 June 2003, 16:14   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Kneeboard

EASY !

First find a beach you can operate from without upsetting too many people .

Place kneeboard on beach about 1 mt from waters edge get on and pull strap loosely over knees,take upslack on ski rope driver then takes over and moves off at a fair throttle 3000 rpm on my 115 lean back a little as you enter water to keep the nose up then assume a upright posn with arms straight .Two goes and you should crack it . Once you have got the hang of it it is possible to water start. lie on board like a surfer with ski handle in 1 hand grip leading edge of board make sure the strap in forwrd on the board ready to pull up when you are stable ,boat moves off slowly and gradually increases speed you shuffle up board with your bottom in the air untill in correct posn .Then you pull strap oiver knee with 1 hand whilst holding rope in other .This will take about 5-6 goes b4 you crack it .

We have had 2 boys on 2 kneeboards and 1 skier up all at the same time !

2 up on kneeboard 1in normal posn 2 standing behind , last about 30 seconds before they collapse but good fun.

If you get it right you can loop in towrads beach kneeboard pull out to 1 side and steers onto beach . It is possible to do it without getting wet !
Good luck
Old 16 June 2003, 16:44   #4

Town: Douglas Isle of Man
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235035776
Thanks guys

Good one fellas!

we have 'acquired' a kneeboard with the new rib, and the kids have been badgering me to try it out.

Now I 'know' how it's done, I will seem 'ever knowledgeable dad', and it'll be their fault when they keep falling off!

Cheers

Jon
Old 16 June 2003, 16:57   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Jon spent hour trying to get on one of those things too, but once you have the knack, no probelm. The only thing I will add is if you come off at speed wearing a drysuit it won't be dry for long ans gallons of water goes down the neck seal.

Pete