Old 11 October 2005, 16:08   #1

Length: no boat
Humber or Ribcraft

Thinking of either a Humber offshore 6.3 or a ribcraft 585, for family use/diving in Scotland

I really want a side by side console and the advantage of the humber os that it is nice and big so should provide a little more protection.

However the ribcraft as a boat is a little narrower and as such would be easier to store etc.

The ribcraft seems to hold its value better, but for me it's a long way to go if I have a problem.

What is the second hand market for Humber like ? and is ribcraft any better

I wonder what people would think is the better of the two options?
Old 11 October 2005, 23:34   #2

Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
i just bought a 5.85 (still being built)...not sure about humber but like you said the RIbcraft is a little bit narrower which usualy means softer ride (cuts waves easier) and just so you know the 5.85 has optional double console.
Old 11 October 2005, 23:56   #3

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Unfortunately i too have only ordered my new ribcraft so cant yet tell you what I think of it - come back and ask me in a couple of months !!!

I used to own a humber though (all be it a small one) and the reason i switched allegencies was 2 fold

1. I think that Ribcraft do a better job at finishing than humber (ie no sharp edges left on metal etc - i have heard this to be a problem with humber)

2. Ribcraft were a lot nearer to me than Humber (the exact oposite to yourself)

Both the Humber and the Ribcraft are built strong so dont worry about that.

In my opinion - in the 6m bracket i think you allready narrowed it down to the best two boats so what ever you choose you wont regret it.

If I had lived in the north it would have been a tough choice for me too.

Good Luck...
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2005, 12:08   #4

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Hi Ribbed,

My old boat was a Ribcraft 5.85 and now I own a Humber 6.3 Ocean Pro.

Both boats are good boats and have their pros & cons.

The Ribcraft I had, is slightly different from the current 5.85 as far as I can tell. Mine had a flat plane-ing section at the stern and with the twin engines I had, it did tend to be a bit tail heavy. As a result it slammed on landing... and it did take off a lot. It was however a very strong and dry boat and in most cases nicely finished. The 5.85 now seems to keep the V right to the stern so may well be softer than mine was.

My current Humber has a diesel o/b and is a LOT softer than my Ribcraft was and probably even dryer, (except when there's a strong beam sea.... like any boat!). The Ocean Pro isn't much wider than the Ribcraft but the main thing is the extra length of the hull. It may only be 0.45 extra overall but because Humber don't cheat by sticking a lot of tube out the back, you end up with almost an extra 0.8 mts of hull..... Hence the softer ride I feel. Certainly when I got the Humber I couldn't believe how much more hull there was – it goes on forever!!!! On the cons side, the Humber finish hasn't got the best reputation and I did have a few issues for annoying little things and one big thing – all sorted by Humber without quibble. (The Ribcraft wasn't perfect either). If you go for Humber, pay a bit extra and get them to put better quality fittings on - s/s instead of plastic etc! Having said that, they do seem to have improved things since I bought mine so I guess things are evolving.

To sum up.....
Ribcraft design is more modern - glassed in seats/consoles etc and they do have the edge on finish, (even though my console always leaked on my 5.85) but the extra length of hull and (IMHO) softer ride, swung it for me for the Humber. (Console doesn't leak either!).

You'll doubtless wish you'd bought the other which ever you buy - but they're both pretty good!

Happy choosing.

PS - You can put a wide console on the Ocean Pro so why not consider that instead of the wider Offshore?
Also, the newer, (post 2000) Humbers do seem to be keeping their price as far as I can see!
Old 12 October 2005, 13:30   #5

Town: Surrey
Leaky Ribcraft 585 console

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C
To sum up.....
Ribcraft design is more modern - glassed in seats/consoles etc and they do have the edge on finish, (even though my console always leaked on my 5.85) but the extra length of hull and (IMHO) softer ride, swung it for me for the Humber. (Console doesn't leak either!).
The wide console on my Ribcraft 585 also leaks - has anyone found a way to cure this (without simply taping it shut)?

I must go down to the sea again......
jim68585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2005, 21:59   #6

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim68585
The wide console on my Ribcraft 585 also leaks - has anyone found a way to cure this (without simply taping it shut)?
Driving backwards all the time might work!
Old 12 October 2005, 22:18   #7

Thanks - I'll try that at the weekend!!

Old 12 October 2005, 22:19   #8

wutya mean leaks?.....I hope your not tryin to use it as a bathroom........
Old 13 October 2005, 12:41   #9

Town: knebworth
Boat name: phoenix
Make: xs
Engine: 115 opti
Send a message via MSN to mark-f Send a message via Skype™ to mark-f
I was having a similar discussion with my self earlier in the year as i too wanted a side by side console, in the end after a recomendation from here tried out the XS600 and ended up buying one, nice double console and offers loads of protection, see pics

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11069

Mark
Old 13 October 2005, 12:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopppywaters
wutya mean leaks?.....I hope your not tryin to use it as a bathroom........
Find the bilge well a better bet normally

Old 13 October 2005, 22:49   #11

lol then you get a nice yellow streak comin out the back of ur boat
Old 14 October 2005, 10:39   #12
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
My double console leaks - and as it is fresh water, I'm assuming that it is rain leaking in - I assume through or round were some of the fittings/gauges are mounted.

It never used to leak, and always held a positive pressure, until the MCA made me drill holes in it to ventilate the battery compartment. The holes themselves are covered with a grill/cover which rain can't get in - but the whole thing now seems to leak like a sieve.

With the last lot of torrential rain we had, I had to pump 6 inches of water out of it. Another job for the winter......

D...
Old 19 October 2005, 09:39   #13

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Humbers available in Scotland

Quinquari Marine are commercial RIB outfitters for the Humber range of boats. Their experience includes running their own fleet of passenger RIBs. Uniquely they are both builders and commercial boat operators so they have vast experience in the practicalities of rib fit out. Quinquari Marine North are based just outside Oban and offer a complete package and full after sales service. Give them a call - 01852 300003
Website www.quinquari.co.uk
Old 27 October 2005, 01:15   #14

Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
humber ocean pro

hey there,if you still havent reached a decision....... i bought a humber ocean pro 6.3m over the summer and think its amazing! i have a 140hp suzuki on the back which id perfect for the job! not sure about the ribcraft as i havent driven one, but the humber is great in cornering, great in rough weather, and ive been out in some rough stuff, and the wide double console i have gives nice shelter from the elements and spray. fuel economy is great at approx 3quarters of a ltr a mile average, and i think it looks fantastic. currently i havent had any problems with the boat, everything is sturdy and well done, admitably the boat interior is more practical than pretty, but when you look at the overall boat on the trailer its a proud craft to own! id go for the humber again if given the choice again!and 6.3m is a good size!