Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 27 February 2005, 19:44   #21

Town: Novato
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4
Engine: Yamaha 30
MikeC

Not only will I give you a ride, I'll take you salmon fishing for a day.

By the way, I'm happy with the console and seats. I did not like what I saw in 2yr old Humber brochures.
Old 27 February 2005, 22:41   #22

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Its a deal!
Old 28 February 2005, 07:22   #23

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Ocean Pro

Hi Mike & Smokie,

Hope you are keeping out of mischief Mike

Smokie I have spent many a happy hour on board with Mike & his Family in lots of varying sea conditions.

I can certainly vouch for the boats abilitiy, so much so that i wanted to buy it but that is another story.

We have covered many miles in "Prime Rib II" and she handles everything that is throw at her. I am only 5ft 8in and I have no problems with the forward visbility, Mike is nearly 6ft. The windsreen is also in an ideal position for me. I can look through or over the top easily; in case you need to duck out of the oncomming wave .

The side by side console gives you plenty of room (Mike & I stand together) for all the electronics that you will need plus it doubles up as a huge locker aswell.

There is a huge amount of storage space on board and would easily take a couple of fishing rods or dive kit. I belive that as a package designed for a family its design and build is very good value for money, I belive it would be very difficult to beat.

Mike will call soon for a chat.

Regards
Kevin AKA
Old 28 February 2005, 15:37   #24

Town: Salisbury, Wiltshire
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300+ Yanmar Inboard
MMSI: 2350400611
Jon Adlard

Hi there
I have had a Humber 6.50m Extreme for the last 3 years with the 1.7 Mercruiser.
I initially played with various props and now have a stainless one which gives a top speed of 34knots, 37 with a following tide.
Visability over the console is no problem(I'm average height)
I launch in Poole all year round and would be happy to demonstrate. (a beer at the lunch time break would suffice!!)
I can't praise this boat enough, a brilliant sea boat and very dry.
Cheers
Jon Adlard
Old 28 February 2005, 15:51   #25

Town: Novato
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4
Engine: Yamaha 30
Thank you for your input Jon.
Old 02 March 2005, 18:34   #26

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Kevin....

I will look forward to hearing from you!

Jon...

What size prop are you running? Bet it’s a 21"!

Smokie...

Most British RIB manufacturers are what we call 'Cottage Industries' – small often family owned affairs! This means that their customer leasing skills are not as developed as most US companies. Humber are actually quite good considering, (due mainly to Sue). Just don't expect any Corporate Mollycoddling. It can be a battle to buy from some Companies in the UK! You'll get there in the end! At least you won’t end up buying something you don’t really want!

Mike C
Old 12 February 2006, 22:05   #27

Town: London
Boat name: varies
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: varies
Just for info, we run an aluminium RBB, which is 6m with the Mercruiser. Max speed is 33 knots, but it seems to be able to do 30 regardless of what we load her up with. Diesels like being worked hard! I've got no idea as to gph. But, it is a lot less than the V6 115 Yamaha two-stroke of our previous boat though!

I'd guess that much over 6m you will not break the 35k barrier, unless it was flat, trimmed perfectly and you were running light. But over 6m you have a few more engines to choose from. You pays yer money and makes yer choice...

have fun regardless.

t
Old 16 February 2006, 20:08   #28

Town: houston
Boat name: Panga
Make: Angler
Engine: 1.7 dti 1/o diesel
I can not comment on the performance of the 7m but I can comment on something similar. I have a 1.7 in an 8m diesel skiff (1500kg dry) that does very well with this engine. Prop is a 15.5"x17" dia. Mirage plus. Boat runs 30kts WOT at 4300-4400 rpm. Cruise is 25kt at 3600-3800rpm. It gets 2.55 KPL (6 us mpg) at about any planing speed. The 160 volvo is a lot larger displacement engine and burns about 50% more fuel based on their gallon/hr charts. At the rate of fuel consumption of the bigger diesel, you might as well get a big 4-stroke OB.

I started a users group on yahoo for owners of 1.7 diesels. Send me a message if you are interested in a link to the group. Arlon

Old 16 February 2006, 20:13   #29

Town: houston
Boat name: Panga
Make: Angler
Engine: 1.7 dti 1/o diesel
Here's a full load gallon/liter/hr chart for the 1.7. Seems to be fairly accurate from what I have been able to judge just from gps mileage and refills (no navman).

Old 16 February 2006, 21:07   #30

Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
Humber Ocean Pro Visibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie
Ok, since no member has the 7m diesel Humber I'll address one of my questions to all 6-7m Humber Ocean Pro owners in general.

I am considering buying a 7m Humber Ocean Pro however I'm concerned about the foward visibility when the driver is seated on the jockey seat. From the photos it appears that the driver can hardly see much when standing up (I'm average height). Is this an issue on this craft more so than on others because of the upturned bow?

I realize I need to test drive one however that will be a while 'cause I live in the US.
I have the Ocean Pro 7 mtr. Crew ranging from 5'11 down to 5'2. All have taken the wheel without trouble seeing 'over the bow'. Nice strong boat - go for it.
Old 16 February 2006, 22:58   #31

Town: Dublin
Boat name: Platypus
Make: Parker 630
Engine: 1.7 Mercruiser DTI
I think I do slightly better? Laser 2 prop 6.3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlon
Here's a full load gallon/liter/hr chart for the 1.7. Seems to be fairly accurate from what I have been able to judge just from gps mileage and refills (no navman).

Andre may well comment as hes a lot more experiece of mercruisers in ribs.
I d be ibterested in the group

Ian
Old 17 February 2006, 12:20   #32

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanE
Andre may well comment as hes a lot more experiece of mercruisers in ribs.
I d be ibterested in the group

Ian
Ian , I would say that the WOT figures are quite high for a 6.3 mtr rib like ours

This is now my third Parker 630 diesel and still have my fuel log of the first one . Did not run a fuel log on Seahawk 2 and have not started one yet on Seahawk 3 probably cos not been to Cowes with it yet

looking at the fuel log for Seahawk I note

20/07/2003 Littlehampton 121.6h on the clock, full tank
20/07/2003 Cowes 125.5 on the clock, 22.40 ltr of fuel taken
02/08/2003 Littlehampton, 128.4 on the clock, 31 ltr of fuel taken
02/08/2003 Cowes, 131.3 on the clock, 22.3 ltr of fuel taken
03/08/2003 Littlehampton, 134.6 on the clock, 45.3 ltrs of fuel taken

Don't remember whether I filled up as soon as I got into Cowes of after lunch but guess after cos it takes on average 1h 30 min to Cowes and on a good day 1 h 10 min in my rib. The sea state would have been fair

The average speed would hv been say 26 knots , the max speed on that particular rib was 32knots at 4400 RPM, 21: LASER II prop, we only use them

I would say a 6.3 mtr rib should not use more then 10/15 ltrs max per hour

My current Parker 630 known as Seahawk 3 is faster then my previous ones and I am yet to venture out to Cowes and will be keen to compare fuel consumption.

The Mercruiser 1.7 TDI is a superb engine for a 6-6.5 mtr rib you cannot go wrong

Andre
Old 18 February 2006, 15:13   #33

Town: Ventura, California
Boat name: Maverick
Make: Ribcraft Mitigator
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 150 hp Johnsons
Hi Smokie,

We just recently purchased a Ribcraft 7.8M to use as a rescue boat for our Vessel Assist operation in the Santa Barbara Channel and are extremely pleased with the boat. This one has outboards but you can power them however you like. We are especially pleased with the ride and handling in both calm waters and heavy seas.

The other nice thing about Ribcraft is that you can set them up however you want as they will build to your spec. The other thing we are impressed with is the Ullman seat, especially for the long trips. It's expensive but well worth it.

We are doing demo/adventure rides if you are ever in the area and would like to go for a spin. Check it out on our website.

Good luck.
Paul
www.channelwatchmarine.com