Old 12 December 2016, 15:09   #1

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Bella-Rose
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90
Hull Identification Numbers

Hello all,

After reading what feels like a thousand posts on RIBnet I have registered and decided to ask my own question.

I have bought myself an Avon 5.4 rib. There is no identification plate on the back and I have scoured the boat with a fine tooth comb looking for a number elsewhere. I contacted an Avon dealer in the UK who was kind enough to tell me that a number may be printed on the tube under the rub strake as Avon sometimes printed a second one there. Naturally I don't feel like pulling the strake off on a 'maybe'.

The lack of the number does not really bother me either way. Most ribs that I have looked at no longer have their ID plates on the transom and that is if they actually had one to start with.

My questions are these, has anyone made up their own number without going through the RYA etc? I am aware of the format used but is there any concern legal or otherwise about making up your own number and bonding it into the hull somewhere for the purposes of identifying the boat?

I have been asked by my insurance company to provide a number as failure to do so will cause problems with any claims. My research online tells me that HIN numbers were not issued prior to 1998 so what does everyone else do with older boats and insurance?
Old 12 December 2016, 18:01   #2

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Probably not a lot of help, but my understanding is that the HIN number system, although adopted by UK manufacturers, was only a requirement for the American market. So I don't know if there is even any statute requirement for them here now?
Old 12 December 2016, 18:48   #3

That was pretty much my understanding of it also. Anyone is welcome to correct me if I am wrong but my understanding in the UK as long as it is not commercial then a HIN or CIN is not actually compulsory. The RYA state that they believe that private pleasure craft registration should be voluntary.

My issue at the moment is that my insurance company haven't taken the same stance. I have told them if they want a number for identification purposes I am happy to make one up and bond it to the hull somewhere inside or out.

I am awaiting their response.
Old 12 December 2016, 19:14   #4

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
The hull /tube number can also be on the front tube right side on the inside tube (not inside the toob) and no where near the strake.it would be stamped on a small section of hypalon.
The transom number should have been on the offside part of the transom. if the toobs are original then it will be the same number, there maybe two small holes on the transom where the plate was.
Old 12 December 2016, 19:19   #5

Defo no plate on the transom Port or Stbd. No sign it has been there either unless its been re-gel coated. I have seen some Avons with the plate on the top surface of the transom.

I have been all over the tubes inboard and out, can't find any markings.

It was an Avon dealer/rep that told me they sometimes put them under the strake. I know its a good idea to have one in a hidden place but under the strake with the glue seems a bit excessive.
Old 12 December 2016, 19:37   #6

AVON Adventure SR5.40 RIB Identification Plate | eBay

not sure if this would help, just came across it.

if this is for insurance purposes then ask them what they want done as the plate is missing, they will likely have a way to go about it you would think.
Old 12 December 2016, 19:45   #7

yeah thats what I have done. There are a lot of older boats out there without plates. I will keep you all posted.
Old 12 December 2016, 20:22   #8

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
How do you correctly value it with out a year of manufacturer.

Ive had a couple where the hull number is under the transon / engine wooden spacer.
Old 12 December 2016, 20:24   #9

My thoughts are they are only worth as much as you are willing to pay for it. In my case the money is mostly in the engine on the back and the trailer.

I will have a look under the engine. I plan on pulling it off anyway. Thanks.
Old 13 December 2016, 07:27   #10

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3chi3f View Post
My thoughts are they are only worth as much as you are willing to pay for it. In my case the money is mostly in the engine on the back and the trailer.

I will have a look under the engine. I plan on pulling it off anyway. Thanks.
I've never heard of an insurance company insisting on a HIN number. As you mention above, before 1998, a lot of boats didn't have any sort of number at all. Likewise, a lot of boats even now don't have HIN numbers on where the plate has fallen off etc.

Adding a HIN in the traditional sense is going to be tricky without knowing the year and without help from the original manufacturer. I would be looking at a different insurer (which one is it who's stated this?) or if they need some sort of unique number to identify the boat register on the small ships register (SSR) - this is £25? or there abouts and will give you a unique registration number that can be displayed on the hull.