Old 23 April 2002, 21:24   #1

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
How big is big enough

I have been looking at bigger RIB's and would like other peoples advise.
Its likley to be another Ribcraft as I like the one I have but how big is big enough ?.
To do solo crossings to isle of man, 50 miles, ireland, over 90, france etc what size if RIB should I be looking at.

Also what is best motor option twin outboards (4 strokes) or a single inboard diesel with backup outboard?.

The options range from the 5.85, 6.5, 6.8 offshore and 7.8 offshore .

While it nice to go as a group i would like to be able to safely do longer solo passages with say 4-6 people on board. Comments welcome, what size should i be looking at to be safe if the wind get up mid passage?.

Regards Gary
Old 24 April 2002, 09:01   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
For comfortable (!) offshore cruising, the 7.8m with a diesel would be the best bet. However, do you have other criteria to take into account -- cost, storage, launching etc?

John
Old 24 April 2002, 09:21   #3

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Hello Gary

The 'How big is yours' poll, makes interesting and relevant viewing. Most RIBS in the 4 - 6 m range, but 4 over 9 m.

Regards

Keith Hart
Old 24 April 2002, 11:29   #4

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
All depends on APPLICATION. The poll is interesting in that one could safely assume that the bulk of respondants do not venture very far afield. This supposition is unscientific so don't have a go..... For offshore long distance cruising I would agree with JK, in that anything over 7.8 should be considered. Comfort, space, hull capabilities are all considerations. Given that you have mentioned an average of 4 people cruising with you, with all their kit, space would also be a factor as RIBS do not have endless lockers to store things in. You have to seriously analyse what you want to do with the RIB, that way you will get the right tool for the job, so to speak. Longer distance cruising = bigger RIB!
Old 24 April 2002, 16:10   #5

Town: Newfoundland
Big is better when it comes for serious cruising no question about that. You can go round UK in a 4.8m for example BUT its a hell of a lot more comfortable in a 9.5m! (I speak from experience!).

Things to consider are:
1) Budget - The 7.8m diesel ribcraft would be a fine boat but that is of course only if you can afford it!
2) Ease of launching - launching a bigger boat on your own is entirely possible, you just have to take things slowly and methodically. Not easy when there is a queue of people waiting to use the slip!
3) Storage - do you have enough room in your garden, drive, compound etc.
4) Towing - anything about 6.5m IMHO require a 4x4. A diesel boat will require a serious 4x4 eg Land Rover, Trooper etc.

Of these #1 is the limiting factor for most of us. (I'd like a 7.8m diesel RIB all things being equal. But until my lottery numbers come up..........)

You can do great things with a Ribcraft 585 - talk to Mike Carson for example. But a 6.5 or 6.8 WILL be more comfortable in a seaway. 7.8 even more so.

Engines - Petrol vs Diesel has been debated often enough so look back on the forum for words of wisdom(?) on that. Twins vs Singles similarly so. My tuppence would be single engines are cheaper, easier to maintain and give better performance. Do go for a latest fuel injected 2 or 4 stroke. (Optimax, HPDI, Ficht etc.)

Most people start of small and if they like ribbing, particularly extended cruising end up with something bigger. Not to say that small boats arent a lot of fun, cheap to buy, cheap to run and very capable but bottom line is that yes size does matter!

Thats why I've just bought a bigger boat!

Alan
Old 24 April 2002, 22:03   #6

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Thanks folks,

some good comments,thanks, a bit of background.

we have a Ribcraft 4.8 at present with two adults and two young ish children.
The purchase of a new RIB for us would be a long term project as no we have not won the lottery.
Thinking behind it is in 2005 i think, speed limit on Windermere is 10 MPH (sob sob) as the only other place i use the RIB is the sea why bother with one which is trailable. We plan to have it in a Marina summer and hard standing winter, so no trailer launching etc.
Being able to have a small car and traveling quite a way to work will pay for the marina.
Also in a year or two the current will be to small for two adults and two big kids.

The cost of the 7.8 is less than the 6.8 with a trailer which we dont need. The 6.5 with the 120Hp 1.7L would be interesting but not sure of this if this is big enough for offshore hence the post.

I have not seen prices on the 6.5 but would hope it to be less than the 6.8 or 7.8

The other reason for the question is as it will be based in a marina, and as we still want to take the RIB on holiday etc we would be doing some long trips, Morecombe bay to Cornwall!! etc

We have some time and hope to have a go in the boats listed but real bad weather experience and feedback of the rib sizes listed would be helpful. You cant tell a lot in 10 min, in the calm during a Ribex demo.

Regards Gary
Old 25 April 2002, 06:21   #7

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Yes, size does matter. But, don’t confuse that with biggest is best!

It all depends on what you want to do with it. To take a motorcycling analogy, a couple of months ago I sold my 750cc Triumph Trident and bought a 350cc Royal Enfield Bullet. I’ve downsized (what a horrible modern expression). Why? Simple, the Triumph was TOO BIG for what I was doing. I commute about 4 miles each way to work every day through the city. This needs a lightweight easy to handle machine that is economical to run. It does not need a big sports bike that is difficult to handle in traffic and is expensive to run.

If I wanted to have a blast from Birmingham to Manchester each day, then the triumph would be perfect. However, I don’t. I like to have the occasional run out, but 95% of the time I am pottering around town.

Back to RIBs. If you want to do long distance cruises, biggest is best. If you want to do local, inshore exploring, and want to be able to launch just about anywhere that takes your fancy, then smaller is better. Example: Over to France for the weekend – Cyanide. Potter around Kylesku looking at the seals – Quicksilver.

Check out the size poll. You'll see that most people reach a compromise 4-6m.

Mind you Brian can do both. He could sail up to Kylesku in Cyanide then get out the tender and potter around in that!

Perhaps you can have the best of both worlds!

Keith (not jealous really) Hart