Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 17 August 2014, 21:03   #21

Length: 5m +
Kernow Liam, probably best to go out and try before you part with your money. Don't believe there's any anti-rib manufacturer feelings on here, but people are always going to be dubious of a newcomer in an established marketplace, especially when they are made in the far east vs a local builder you can go to visit.
I guess time will tell if Highfields live up to the hype. For my own part I have taken a leap of faith (and hope never to need the warranties )
Old 17 August 2014, 21:07   #22

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Where in the Duchy are you bases Liam?
Old 29 October 2014, 10:53   #23

Town: poole
Make: lomac
Engine: petrol
Highfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
Kernow Liam, probably best to go out and try before you part with your money. Don't believe there's any anti-rib manufacturer feelings on here, but people are always going to be dubious of a newcomer in an established marketplace, especially when they are made in the far east vs a local builder you can go to visit.
I guess time will tell if Highfields live up to the hype. For my own part I have taken a leap of faith (and hope never to need the warranties )
How re you getting on with your Highfield
Old 29 October 2014, 11:59   #24

Good, been out most weeks. Had an issue with water in the fuel a few weeks ago but drained the remaining fuel, added wynns dry fuel, changed water fuel filters and all good.
Why did it happen? Almost prophetically Poly (I think) asked about an outlet on the port side. I mentioned that it's a drain for the recess that the fuel filler cap sits in. Anyway, my drain was blocked, the recess filled with water and fresh water entered the tank (from washing down). Have now drilled the holes in the recess that I intended to do before the incident

EDIT: Believe it was the Scottish Boat Show Thread
Old 29 October 2014, 18:40   #25
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I'm always prophetic it's just not everyone realises.
Old 29 October 2014, 19:02   #26
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I'm always prophetic it's just not everyone realises.
I knew you'd say that
Old 13 September 2017, 03:49   #27

Town: Comox
Sorry to dig up an old post, wondering if anyone from 2014 can comment on how their highfield is holding up 3 years later ?
Old 13 September 2017, 06:46   #28

Town: poole
Make: lomac
Engine: petrol
Highfield

Hi

I have a Highfield 5 metre rib purchased in 2014 and its a great boat have taken it out in all sorts of
weather with no problems
Old 13 September 2017, 07:00   #29

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
Mine is holding up

The only thing I have observed I lost paint under wheels keeping boat on trailer Brenderup. Even wheels are blue and big. I have discovered it when snorkel around boat in Greece. On trailer it is not visible. But I tow every year boat to Greece (3-4000 km both way and to Croatia - 3000km both way).

I'm sorry that not buy hypalon version - will have no problem with boat for 10y maybe.
With PVC I have not idea how long it last.

I can complain about rigging but it has been done in Poland. I have bought boat without rigging and engine from SeaSwift (It was Highfield importer in 2014-en). I made more than 5000 km in my boat in Greece and Croatia during 3 years (3 time vacations).

Keep it under breathable cover near house. In winter time in Poland we have usually few weeks with -20C.

Below mentioned picture from this year

When I bought it prices were lower than now.
Now I see for OM540DL with ORCA hypalon almost 30 kGBP

RIBCRAFT 5,3 PRO in Layout 4 is 24 k GBP.

For me personally current Hghfield is overpriced compare to RIBCRAFT. Or I have not up to date RIBCRAFT price list.

Redbay 6,1 in setup similar to OM DL series full setup with trailer 37 kGBP
Highfield 5,9 with ORCA hypalon be 32 k GBP including trailer

If well know UK brand be very close to Highfield price I would go now to UK brand.
Probably better price to sell after few years.

Still have not problem with mine Highfield but it was good choice when new was cheaper that well know UK brands. Now will buy Redbay 6,1 or RIBCRAFT

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm talking about these wheels/rolls:

But I do understand that I travel a lot so not even asked Highfield for help. No sign of corrosion. Only lost small part of paint
Old 13 September 2017, 11:40   #30

Town: glasgow
Boat name: black cat
Make: redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 140hp
Hi, Nothing wrong with any Highfields I have been on but having seen the new kid on the block Probond Marines Carson range and tested a larger version there a few things about that boat I like more. Like all these things it is my own taste though but my likes are
6m+ have D tubes
stainless transom
far more deck space
No dram ride handling ie I would be happy to be in them all day
storage
Old 13 September 2017, 21:29   #31

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Pleased with my 2014 ,5metre purchase , nothing really different to as new 3 seasons on , finishes are still as they were ,pvc showing no negative signs of wear ,great boat for me ,but must say it is my first rib and to be honest I think I should have bought a bit bigger one ,but other than that well happy ,launch and retrieve alone on most occasions with no issues ,.... suspect the weak pound has took some of the shine off the competiveness of new models but I reckon that's helped the resale value rise
Old 14 September 2017, 09:04   #32

Thanks for the feedback, I've narrowed down my search to a Highfield 460 or an AB 15 ALX.. I want a lightweight boat that will do 30 knots when needed, cruise at 20 knots would be fine, also want it to be able to handle the very rare 1.5 m max seas we can get in my area. I don't go out in rough, but would like to feel comfortable coming home. I'm considering an Etec 60 for either boat..

The boat will be stored outside with a cover or tarp on it .. So I will buy Hypalon...

The AB is more money than the Highfield.. I'm tempted on the Highfield but don't want buyers remorse.. I plan to beach launch with a trailer, so weight is a big deal..
Old 14 September 2017, 09:06   #33

What type of speed should I expect with 250 KG onboard in a 460 with a 60hp Evenrude or Yamaha.. ( leaning toward Evenrude ) ..

Would I get 30 knots wide open ?
Old 14 September 2017, 14:35   #34

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I've narrowed down my search to a Highfield 460 or an AB 15 ALX.. I want a lightweight boat that will do 30 knots when needed, cruise at 20 knots would be fine, also want it to be able to handle the very rare 1.5 m max seas we can get in my area. I don't go out in rough, but would like to feel comfortable coming home. I'm considering an Etec 60 for either boat..

The boat will be stored outside with a cover or tarp on it .. So I will buy Hypalon...

The AB is more money than the Highfield.. I'm tempted on the Highfield but don't want buyers remorse.. I plan to beach launch with a trailer, so weight is a big deal..
when I priced highfield they were 3k more expensive than humber for hypalon tubes
Old 14 September 2017, 15:47   #35

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
when I priced highfield they were 3k more expensive than humber for hypalon tubes
Humber is UK only, and their construction practices are a little dated (plywood cores and two piece molds with hand laid stringers).

Also, OP is looking for an aluminum hull
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 17:33   #36
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Humber is UK only, and their construction practices are a little dated (plywood cores and two piece molds with hand laid stringers).
I think you'll find we call that a niche, bespoke product here and imply it deserves a premium!

Quote:
Also, OP is looking for an aluminum hull

I think that is more to the point! Ali is labour intensive and expensive material so even building in the Far East isn't going to be cheap BUT it does have some advantages, not least weight which might mean a smaller engine, a lighter trailer, a smaller tow car... it would be quite possible to save the 3k on the indirect costs!
Old 14 September 2017, 18:25   #37

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Humbers last a life time boat building never dates a lot of boats made that way over here. Seem to remember we invented the rib maybe that's why British boat builders like Humber stick to tried and proven methods of construction.
Old 14 September 2017, 18:26   #38

All things being equal, would someone consider AB to be that much better than Highfield ?
Where does AB rank in the world of Ribs ?

Also looked at GALA which is part of Grand.. Aluminum.

The weight is important to me, I want to be able to use it alone as much as possible.. launch off a beach and land on a beach .. I want the hull to be rugged.
Old 14 September 2017, 18:32   #39

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
Mine Highfield OM540DL weight 900 kg with engine, equipment, fuel.
I launch it alone mostly usually use boat ramp but very often in Greece at pebbles beach.
If you go to use it on the Sea very light boat is not very handful on choppy Sea
Old 14 September 2017, 20:19   #40

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Humbers last a life time boat building never dates a lot of boats made that way over here. Seem to remember we invented the rib maybe that's why British boat builders like Humber stick to tried and proven methods of construction.
Most US manufacturers stopped using wood a decade ago.

Zodiac US uses all 3 piece molds. Molded hull, molded stringers, and molded deck cap. Cores are divinyl foam or coosa composite foam.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib