Old 03 March 2020, 14:28   #1

Town: Dunfrmline
Boat name: Black Jem
Make: Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Highfield OM 540?

Hi all, I'm in the process of looking at getting a new rib. My bombard 500 is great but with kids on board I'm looking at having something with more seating(mainly to keep my wife happy).

Ideally between 5.5-6m. 6-6.5m would be nice but conscious that it's not as easy to launch with just me and the kids(currently 7 and 10).

Have looked at a few boats online but with them all being so far away (18hr round trip) and sellers not responding it's all getting a bit frustrating.

Anyway, I've had a good look at a few Highfield ribs. don't know a lot about them but the welding and finish looks to be good. I quite like the idea of aluminium for longevity(not based on any hard data).

The boat that probably fits the bill is the Ocean Master 540 fitted with a Honda 100. Being new I also have the benefit of dealer back up and a warranty.

Has anybody here got a 540 as any feedback would be much appreciated? Max speed, handling in a chop, etc..

Thanks in advance.
Old 03 March 2020, 15:39   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Know the factory. The Highfield brand corresponds to the Alu-Rib models, don't own one as are bit expensive compared to a traditional fiberglass ones in same lenght made by the same factory with a different name.

Happy Boating
Old 03 March 2020, 15:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Know the factory. The Highfield brand corresponds to the Alu-Rib models, don't own one as are bit expensive compared to a traditional fiberglass ones in same lenght made by the same factory with a different name.

Happy Boating
Thanks Locozodiac!
Old 03 March 2020, 17:35   #4

Length: 3m +
I've used a OM470 I think. Slips on turns like a bugger and ventilates the prop. I believe they changed the hull shape last year to fix that. Check. It's annoying enough to be my least favourite RIB at the sailing club.

You will be looking at > £20k for that size with an engine ... I think... There are other options but I'm not sure any other Ali hulls that size. Does that mean something? (A few 4.2m Ali options but not bigger)

There are a few Highfield owners on here.
Old 03 March 2020, 17:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I've used a OM470 I think. Slips on turns like a bugger and ventilates the prop. I believe they changed the hull shape last year to fix that. Check. It's annoying enough to be my least favourite RIB at the sailing club.

You will be looking at > £20k for that size with an engine ... I think... There are other options but I'm not sure any other Ali hulls that size. Does that mean something? (A few 4.2m Ali options but not bigger)

There are a few Highfield owners on here.
Interesting to hear about the slipping hull. I'll look into that. It is a brand new hull I'm looking at so guessing it would have been fabricated the tail end of last year. As for the amount of ali boats on the market, if you go into the commercial/industrial side then most boats of this size are ali. At work I don't think I've had a grp hulled FRC in the last 10yrs.
Old 03 March 2020, 18:28   #6

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
If it’s coming from port Edgar check the welding beforehand as the ones I seeen were poorly welded high production low quality springs to mind the ones they have in stock have been for a while I am sure they don’t exactly fly off the shelves perhaps it’s maybe to do with the sales rep
Old 03 March 2020, 19:15   #7

Town: Vancouver, BC
Boat name: Race Curtains
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 115 Outboard
@ gav03830 - I have a highfield 590 w/ a Yam115 and got it for the same reasons you listed.

Happy with the boat though there are a few things I'd change. I found the 540 felt a little small once the seats were in - not much room for gear.

No issue cavitating or sliding the back end around when towing a tube - includes going full right to full left on the wheel. Tracks well and feels good in the air when empty.
Old 03 March 2020, 19:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
If it’s coming from port Edgar check the welding beforehand as the ones I seeen were poorly welded high production low quality springs to mind the ones they have in stock have been for a while I am sure they don’t exactly fly off the shelves perhaps it’s maybe to do with the sales rep
Thanks, it's not at Port Edgar. I do live local to there and sometimes launch there, but I've never had any contact with the brokerage. The site staff and guys in the chandlery have always been very helpful though.
Old 03 March 2020, 19:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerfoo View Post
@ gav03830 - I have a highfield 590 w/ a Yam115 and got it for the same reasons you listed.

Happy with the boat though there are a few things I'd change. I found the 540 felt a little small once the seats were in - not much room for gear.

No issue cavitating or sliding the back end around when towing a tube - includes going full right to full left on the wheel. Tracks well and feels good in the air when empty.
What speed does the 590 max out on with the 115? not that I ever go flat out in my current boat but gives a good idea of what's in reserve. Agree that there's not a huge amount of space with all the seats. but it will mainly be two adults with either 2 or 4 kids.
Old 03 March 2020, 22:30   #10

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
I had 5 metre highfield with honda 90 (new 2014) , was a great combo ,if i had to find fault i would say the console was a little too rearward ,but reckon they got rid of that massive front opening seat which was forcing everything back ,and if you think the ally is lighter than glass ,and everything forward is lightweight ,compared to engine etc ,so you need to get everything as forward as possible ,ie console ,fuel tank etc ,
personally i was slaughtered on this site as i celebrated my choice of highfield (as i was progressing from sports boats to rib first time ) and hadn,t seen the negative opinions on here so was a little nieve , it was enough to make me sell the highfield ,before it fell to bits and would be worth nothing , upshot was a prime dealer sold it for more than i bought for 4 years on and they had a second buyer waiting to purchase for more £ should the first buyer not show for collection (which was over 600 miles each way )
so have to say my expierience was 100 % positive ,noting what i have now and asked would i buy highfield again ,definite yes ,would go for 540 dl or 590 ,no deterioration in mine at all (just dodgy tie offs welded to a frame ) .think its important though for the £ to be strong as this makes them more attractive ,seem to just starting to look competitive again ,as have looked not so good value for past 3 years
Old 04 March 2020, 19:45   #11

Thanks Orwell boy,

There's a nice 5m online but think i need a bit bigger. I work with aluminium FRCs and there is no doubt they are tough when you see some of the conditions we've launched in, or the way some people treat them. The one we have now is pushing 20yrs old with very little TLC and it's bomb proof.

I'd certainly have no issue about having an ali hulled rib. No chance of the transom going soggy either.
Old 05 March 2020, 22:18   #12

Town: Vancouver, BC
Boat name: Race Curtains
Make: Highfield
Engine: Yamaha 115 Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav03830 View Post
What speed does the 590 max out on with the 115? not that I ever go flat out in my current boat but gives a good idea of what's in reserve. Agree that there's not a huge amount of space with all the seats. but it will mainly be two adults with either 2 or 4 kids.
40 knots two up with a half tank of fuel