Old 19 July 2016, 14:32   #1

Town: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Make: APEX
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Honda
Help Fix Botched Patch Job

We noticed a small leak that wasn't always open and leaking. Since we had aqua seal adhesive lying around we put that on there (without a patch) thinking the glue itself would seal the leak. It obviously did not, and now how the leak is fully open. To make matters worse, we then put hot glue on which also didn't work and then sail tape. The sail tape seems to be working a little bit.

My question is: What should we do to remove what we have put on there before putting on a real patch? thanks
Old 19 July 2016, 14:45   #2

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
There are good instructions over at NRS. Also a good place for materials, fabric and proper glue. You are going to need to glue a patch of the same material over the leak. I'm not sure what fabric you have, somebody here can help you if you don't know.

Here are their hypalon instruction,
http://www.nrs.com/repair/hypalon_repair.asp

Where in Tahoe are you? I was just up there last week with my 7m inflatable in north lake, Incline and Tahoe City launch ramp.

Jason
Old 19 July 2016, 15:05   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Older Apex's are hypalon (don't know about newer ones.)

Jason gave you a good course to follow.

That said, Aquaseal actually will repair hypalon, to a degree (won't last as long as a proper repair with the correct adhesive) but it 's kind of weird stuff: by itself, it takes at least 24 hours to set up, and during that time will run and drip and generally make a mess. Mixed with solvent (McNett's is called Cotol-240; mostly MEK, I think), it sets up in 15 to 60 minutes. Trick is to get a thin coat to bond really well to the hypalon material, then glue the two exposed coats of aquaseal. Done properly, it's as labor intensive as using a 2-part hypalon glue, with a shorter duration lifespan.

jky
Old 19 July 2016, 17:18   #4

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Post pictures of the leak / tear.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote