Old 19 July 2020, 17:09   #1

Town: friday harbor WA
Boat name: beluga
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 40
Glue repair

Zodiac Pro owner here. One of the flaps connecting the hull to a pontoon is starting to separate. I was surprised to notice there was no glue residue inside the separation, which leads to my first question. Was this flap originally glued or was it attached via some other hypalon welding process?

I'd never used the repair kit bequeathed me by the former owner. Opening it this morning, I found an odd group:: superglue, vinyl glue, and a small white tube of zodiac branded glue in German, but with no mention of the word hypalon.

Before i go out and order some proper 2-part hypalon glue that I know from years ago on my first Zodiac, I thought I'd ask if anyone on the forum can tell me if any of these three glues will do the job OK. I did a search on the forum, but found no response that answered this precise question. I'm also not sure if this Zodiac branded tube is one part of a two part mix, or it is truly a one-part hypalon glue, which I'm not familiar with.

any response is much appreciated.
Old 19 July 2020, 18:39   #2

Town: Godalming
Boat name: Bumblebee
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: yamaha 40hp 2stroke
White tube is probably your best bet out of the three, it's probably some solvent based e6000-u-like. I used some for a repair of a PVC sib. 2 part hypalon glue is better. The flap would have been originally glued, unlike PVC or PU hypalon cannot be welded, it's probably such a thin glue layer that it can't be easily spotted, it probably stuck to one side more than the other
Old 20 July 2020, 20:09   #3

Town: friday harbor WA
Boat name: beluga
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 40
Just to complete this thread. I found three glues in the boat repair kit that was put together by the former owner. In the end none of them looked especially trustworthy to me.

A big issue for me is that I live on an island, and with several boat stores, no one local had hypalon glue. Going online showed me several brands, but they were all crazy expensive, and because of the Covid lag time it would likely take a week just to get it in the mail.

So I tried one final boat shop and behind all the PVC boat and wet suit repair kits was a Weaver brand kit in an oversized can that contained 2-part hypalon glue, toluene, and all the brushes, cups, sandpaper, I need to do the job properly. It costs the same as a one part glue I found online but without all the rest of it.

My wife and I just finished gluing up the separated strap. As everyone advises, we were extra careful with the prep.

My advise...For anyone searching this RIB board trying to get an answer to what is a worthy substitute for 2-part hypalon glue, sandpaper, and toluene. My answer is get the 2-part hypalon. That extra hardness is what you need when the hot sun expands the tubes to near bursting. These boats are too expensive to be worth the pain of cutting corners.
Old 21 July 2020, 22:49   #4

Town: kansas city
Length: 4m +
Glad you were able to get it all fixed up. Those weaver cans are very nice.

I have family up just south of Port Townsend, so when i fly in, i always take the ferry and droll over the nice zodiac hurricane's they have on them.

Tags
repair